DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
    Want some help? I'm available for 2 weeks a Christmas. Have tools, will travel.

I appreciate it! Not sure when I will actually start. After Christmas I start a 7 day/night shift in a row run. Had to cover for a buddy that took off so I actually won’t start until after the New Year. You are welcome to swing by anytime. As far as tools go I believe we are good. I have a plethora collecting dust.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome project. I'm following for sure!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool, following

Comment

Ha I’m in for this one brother.. sounds like it’s gonna be awesome I’m jealous��

Comment

In! This is gonna be neat to watch.

Comment

In!

Comment

Friend of mine built a scooter type flats boat. It ran as skinny as any boat on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                  Friend of mine built a scooter type flats boat. It ran as skinny as any boat on the market.

This one drafts 2” loaded and 5” at 850 lbs of load (max). I plan to fabricate a 3” manual setback jack plate so I can run a couple inches higher.

Michael

Comment

I’ve got a small burn bar from an RFL if you need one.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                      I’ve got a small burn bar from an RFL if you need one.

Thanks bud! I’ll take you up on that!!!

Michael

Comment

I'm in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Following this is gonna get good!

Comment

DIY flats skiff

If anyone has been thinking about and wants to fabricate their own skiff from a sent of plans and drawings, I have a couple Bateau sets I am not using that could be sold. We will be building the middle one.

Michael

Comment

A little bit of feedback, I’m almost done with my flats boat build.

I’d return that paint if I were you and go with something else. Besides being very difficult to get a smooth finish, it never really hardens fully. I found this was typical of one part paints. I used the special brushing thinner they recommend, rolled and tipped it in proper temp ranges, kept a wet edge, etc, and I just wasn’t thrilled with it. The sea foam green did seem between than the white FWIW.

I also wasn’t a huge fan of their fairing compound. It’s really sticky/gummy and seemed to work harden really quickly, meaning you spread it on, run a Bondo spreader across it to pick up the excess, spread that on the next spot, and after doing that a couple times over 2-3 minutes it becomes too hard to spread smoothly.

The biggest game changer by far was the Thixo epoxy in caulk tubes. Unfortunately I didn’t come across it until the end of my project, I think it would have saved me days worth of time and sanding. The biggest issue I had was with fillets, small gaps between panels, etc. You can have really clean fiberglass laminations but then bonding something to it causes a run or high spot you have to go back and sand multiple times.

With the Thixo I’m fairly certain you could glass the plywood, feather the edges and knock down the tooth on the cloth, use it to fill the weave, sand it with 220 ONE time , prime it, then fill the pinholes with it using a razor blade, sand again with 220, and paint.

The other really nice thing is that you mix it as you go by squeezing the tube, meaning you can work for as long as you want without worrying about the epoxy curing in the cup before you use it up and then stopping and mixing more. It’s really hard to explain how helpful it is.
                              Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 12-08-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                                A little bit of feedback, I’m almost done with my flats boat build.

I’d return that paint if I were you and go with something else. Besides being very difficult to get a smooth finish, it never really hardens fully. I found this was typical of one part paints. I used the special brushing thinner they recommend, rolled and tipped it in proper temp ranges, kept a wet edge, etc, and I just wasn’t thrilled with it. The sea foam green did seem between than the white FWIW.

I also wasn’t a huge fan of their fairing compound. It’s really sticky/gummy and seemed to work harden really quickly, meaning you spread it on, run a Bondo spreader across it to pick up the excess, spread that on the next spot, and after doing that a couple times over 2-3 minutes it becomes too hard to spread smoothly.

The biggest game changer by far was the Thixo epoxy in caulk tubes. Unfortunately I didn’t come across it until the end of my project, I think it would have saved me days worth of time and sanding. The biggest issue I had was with fillets, small gaps between panels, etc. You can have really clean fiberglass laminations but then bonding something to it causes a run or high spot you have to go back and sand multiple times.

With the Thixo I’m fairly certain you could glass the plywood, feather the edges and knock down the tooth on the cloth, use it to fill the weave, sand it with 220 ONE time , prime it, then fill the pinholes with it using a razor blade, sand again with 220, and paint.

The other really nice thing is that you mix it as you go by squeezing the tube, meaning you can work for as long as you want without worrying about the epoxy curing in the cup before you use it up and then stopping and mixing more. It’s really hard to explain how helpful it is.

Makes total sense to me. Thank you!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X