No announcement yet.

Question for those who still watch NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't watched as much the last few years but don't plan to watch any this year. Actually cut the Direct TV off last week, live sports was the only excuse I had for keeping it. The Astros hurt more than NFL but I haven't watched a single pitch since they decided to wear those shirts on opening day.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
      Football and golf are the only two sports that I really watch and pay attention too so it would take a lot to make me stop watching. I don't agree with how they are handling things but it has not personally affected my life. If they made me buy certain shirts/hats and agree and support their belief then I would stop watching/supporting the NFL. Until they make me do that or support something that I don't agree with I will watch.

To me, it's comparable to the President of the United States. I don't own a small business but I make decent money and pay my taxes. With that being said no President since I have been alive (I'm 27) has changed the way I live my life or affected me personally. Now, I know this is dangerous thinking because it is a slippery slope and eventually this could change, but to me I just keep on going and until it changes my day to day life I don't get too worked up.

This statement right here is the very description of where we are in America today... APATHY... We've been in the Apathy stage of the decline of a Democracy for a while now. The next step is the end of freedom as we know it.... If it doesn't affect me in my daily life, it's OK. I just keep on keeping on... By the time it DOES affect you, it will be too late... What a pitiful state of affairs this once proud nation is in. God help us...

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
        Nothing. I separate my sports / entertainment from my beliefs. I don’t mix the two.
        This is the perfect response IMO.

The NFL is in a lose/lose situation. They're ****ed if they do and ****ed if they don't. Unfortunately we live in a world where you cannot please everyone.

PSA: That was not offensive pass interference!

Comment

I do not watch them to develop, support, or justify my personal or political beliefs.

They are paid to do a job as long as I can watch that job. what happens between the white lines I am going to. Commercials well heck we could have a commercial run during the games if we wanted to pay the money.

If you let your beliefs be governed by other then they were never yours to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            This statement right here is the very description of where we are in America today... APATHY... We've been in the Apathy stage of the decline of a Democracy for a while now. The next step is the end of freedom as we know it.... If it doesn't affect me in my daily life, it's OK. I just keep on keeping on... By the time it DOES affect you, it will be too late... What a pitiful state of affairs this once proud nation is in. God help us...
            Agreed

Comment

I only watch because I've been in a fantasy league with my friends for years. I really enjoy that aspect and watching the cowboys. I can't stand all the activism, but I'm reminded of this nations attention span and I know this will all disappear after the election. If this continues next year, I will probably quit my league and quit watching.

Comment

I like to gamble on the games. I don't pay much attention to the nonsense. Pretty much any entertainment out there will be ruined if you want to get into the entertainers politics and beliefs. Thats why we have a boycott thread every week, its hard to keep up with who I am supposed to be mad at.

Comment

I understand how people could take my post, but I have a backbone and strong beliefs so I am not the majority but understand what you mean. This was my answer for the sports question. I will watch sports until they make me do or agree to something that I don't.

I am also not the type to boycott stuff either, I understand and know why others do but I have never done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    Nothing. I separate my sports / entertainment from my beliefs. I don’t mix the two.
                    Same with music. I love all genres of music and listen to hip hop regularly when working out. Most of them fools in everyday life are idiots but they got jams. After I workout and cooling off, I take it down a notch to my classic country playlist. lol Now I'm sitting in my office and Born In The Usa just came on Alexa. **** good tune but Bruce is a pos but let em slide because again, I like good music.

Then we got shopping...Amazon, HEB, Target etc etc.all known panderers to the left. Now here we are with football which I consider the gateway to the fall/hunting season. I am a huge Alabama fan and will be watching when they take the field.

I'm sitting here thinking if I boycotted everything I disagreed with, I should just go ahead and move into the middle of the Davey Crockett National Forest with my rifle and a lean to shelter. Heck that don't sound half bad.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Johnny; 09-14-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                      So if I watch the news, am I supporting it? I don’t think so. I just watch the local news because it’s entertaining. I don’t buy merch and I haven’t purchased tickets in a very long time. If a prison league was free and entertaining, I’d probably watch it.
                      Not arguing with you or your stance, just saying that whenever we watch anything on TV we are supporting it. The TV shows are based on revenue generated by advertising dollars, which is generated by viewership. If you are a viewer you are helping them to make money, hence you are supporting them. Again, not arguing your stance or anything just pointing out how it works, which is why News Stations no longer simply report unbiased news. They are all fighting for your viewership, which is why they cater to your views or viewpoints as much as possible and sensationalize everything. It generates money for them. If the NFL ratings tanked then the NFL would have to figure out what the problems are and try to fix them because they couldn't sustain the revenue loss from the TV rights they get.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                        Not arguing with you or your stance, just saying that whenever we watch anything on TV we are supporting it. The TV shows are based on revenue generated by advertising dollars, which is generated by viewership. If you are a viewer you are helping them to make money, hence you are supporting them. Again, not arguing your stance or anything just pointing out how it works, which is why News Stations no longer simply report unbiased news. They are all fighting for your viewership, which is why they cater to your views or viewpoints as much as possible and sensationalize everything. It generates money for them. If the NFL ratings tanked then the NFL would have to figure out what the problems are and try to fix them because they couldn't sustain the revenue loss from the TV rights they get.
                        Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          Same with music. I love all genres of music and listen to hip hop regularly when working out. Most of them fools in everyday life are idiots but they got jams. After I workout and cooling off, I take it down a notch to my classic country playlist. lol Now I'm sitting in my office and Born In The Usa just came on Alexa. **** good tune but Bruce is a pos but let em slide because again, I like good music.

Then we got shopping...Amazon, HEB, Target etc etc.all known panderers to the left. Now here we are with football which I consider the gateway to the fall/hunting season. I am a huge Alabama fan and will be watching when they take the field.

I'm sitting here thinking if I boycotted everything I disagreed with, I should just go ahead and move into the middle of the Davey Crockett National Forest with my rifle and a lean to shelter. Heck that don't sound half bad.[emoji3]
                          Pretty much spot on to my thinking. I dont have to agree with EVERYTHING someone says or does.

I have no issue with people boycotting. Makes no difference to me. If I did decide to boycott, I would never expect anyone else to.

I do think there is a time where I'd shut it off, but I believe that line is completely ridiculous and would never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                            I understand how people could take my post, but I have a backbone and strong beliefs so I am not the majority but understand what you mean. This was my answer for the sports question. I will watch sports until they make me do or agree to something that I don't.

I am also not the type to boycott stuff either, I understand and know why others do but I have never done that.
                            Obviously SS’s statement went right over your head.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                              I like to gamble on the games. I don't pay much attention to the nonsense. Pretty much any entertainment out there will be ruined if you want to get into the entertainers politics and beliefs. Thats why we have a boycott thread every week, its hard to keep up with who I am supposed to be mad at.
                              There's a world of difference between the owners and players both agreeing with BLM and visually pushing it during games.. And an individual actor having a political view that's not pushed in the movie he plays in. Imagine if actor "x" and the movie director pushed a political theme IN every movie.. Then you'd be talking closer to the same thing.

And is wanting to kill LEOs a political stance? Since when has everything including murder become politics?

And same with music. I would still listen to music I like if I found out the singer or group were liberal. But if they put in liberal politics into every song and pushed their views through the music I'd stop.

So where is the line with the NFL? What if they start saying it's ok to beat women. Will you guys ignore that if they bragged about the women they beat and put their names on their helmets?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                                Pretty much spot on to my thinking. I dont have to agree with EVERYTHING someone says or does.

I have no issue with people boycotting. Makes no difference to me. If I did decide to boycott, I would never expect anyone else to.

I do think there is a time where I'd shut it off, but I believe that line is completely ridiculous and would never happen.
                                Can you explain what would be more ridiculous than supporting BLM and these felons? Standing with the side wanting to kill LEOs.

If you don't feel the need to boycott anything with what's going on now then I'd wager you will never boycott anything for and reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X