No announcement yet.

Benbrook Lake 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got drawn got this hunt! I have ever hunted this place or even seen it. I will only have two days to hunt it. Don't really know where to start.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

they have arrived

i've been hunting BB for 8 years and in all that time have never seen a hog or sign from one...sadly that has changed as of 2021. hopefully the corp will exterminate/trap them out before they take over and ruin the place.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lee, they've been out there for a while. Before your time. They more or less just pass through. I bumped a small sounder about 15 or 17 years ago. They were running ahead of me in the waist high grass. I couldn't keep up. And I've seen some sign, both scat and pushes. They just don't hang out there once the deer pressure starts. ACE used to lease some of those fields for hay baling too. You could count on certain ones to be cut each year right before the bow season started.

I hate to see all the prairie land just west of the project being lost to the all mighty dollar. The deer between Aledo and 377 will no longer have a place to stay. They will get pushed out west and SW if they are not killed by road traffic first. Those open prairies used to grow some big ones. I see one and another road killed whenever I go home that way.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-22-2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Lee, they've been out there for a while. Before your time. They more or less just pass through. I bumped a small sounder about 15 or 17 years ago. They were running ahead of me in the waist high grass. I couldn't keep up. And I've seen some sign, both scat and pushes. They just don't hang out there once the deer pressure starts. ACE used to lease some of those fields for hay baling too. You could count on certain ones to be cut each year right before the bow season started.

I hate to see all the prairie land just west of the project being lost to the all mighty dollar. The deer between Aledo and 377 will no longer have a place to stay. They will get pushed out west and SW if they are not killed by road traffic first. Those open prairies used to grow some big ones. I see one and another road killed whenever I go home that way.
          Thanks for sharing that history that goes back before my time. I do remember the hay fields, kinda wish they brought that back.

Fortunately I now live 5 min from the Coe land and adjacent to 4500 unmolested acres of land that hopefully in my lifetime will never be developed.

Here's a 2021 survivor buck
          Havent seen as many as in years past but he'll be a beauty next year.
          Attached Files

Comment

Any of you guys seeing turkeys? They were skittish last year and we didn't get drawn this time.

Comment

Been waiting and watching to see if anyone got a turkey this year. anyone seeing anything?

Comment

I didn't get drawn for turkeys but saw a couple at the 377 side this past weekend when I was fishing the creek

Comment

I forgot to turn in my survey after the turkey hunt!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Went out to Benbrook on tuesday to take advantage of the cool front and do some hiking. The lake is wayyy up. Where I hunted this season was about 120yards to the shoreline then but is now under about 3' of water, and I could tell the water was even higher at some point. Took this picture of where you can see how high the water got on the treeline- the bottom of those green leaves is about 4-ft high!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Watch for ticks. Took the dog to run off Sycamore School Rd / Old Granbury - covered in ticks.

Comment

Water level on Benbrook is currently 4.79 feet above normal. It got over 13 feet above normal a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure all the deer swam away or drowned. So, no need to apply this coming season.

(or they are in areas you can not hunt )

Comment

Working...
                        X