Everything stock tank/pond thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything stock tank/pond thread.

Nice summer time topic. Fixing to build one myself, be nice to get some ideas from everyone else’s. Post some pics of yours if you’d like.

Cool idea. Will be following, and will get some pics next time I head out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

cool thread idea. following

Comment

I have been wanting one in the front. It holds water but it just not deep enough to hold a lot of water. Please show your progress as you make your ponds.

Comment

This is a great idea. I have no clue how to do it properly, but eventually want to put one on my place. Not sure how big, how deep, or how to calculate any of that. But great idea, I’d love to see some tips and info on this.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't put corigated culverts thru the dam. Build an overflow spillway on one or both ends of your dam. Get a surveyers laser level and make the spillway the height you want your tank level

Comment

In!

Comment

IN as well. I have about a 3/4 acre tank that needs to have some grading-dirt work done. I’ve had 6 or 7 folks out giving me advice and bids and no 2 have even been on the same page in terms of what/how to fix it. It’s a little overwhelming at this point.

Comment

I have been fortunate to have several ponds on properties I have owned and spent a lot of time with them as a hobby. I live on a 2 acre pond now a few steps behind my house.

The whole process is very interesting. I liken it to deer hunting - many of the same management techniques.

My advice is to go to www.pondboss.com forum. I have no connection to the owner or site other than a user. There are some of the top experts anywhere who frequent there and they share their time to answer questions. Bob Lusk is the long time owner of Pond Boss and he is the premier fish biologist in the country IMO.

On the forum you can literally search any subject you can think of and there will be an answer. There are also a number of sponsors who do everything from building ponds to stocking to structure, etc.

Here is my set up: Can somebody rotate the third picture for me please?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Huntingfool; 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Both of my ponds have fallen into disrepair the last few years. They seem to have silted in a bit and have shallowed enough to where aquatic grass grows much to thick up and through the surface of the water like a vine. It sticks out 6-10” and makes it near impossible to fish. I have been afraid to spray aquatic approved herbicide for fear of killing the fish or muddying the water when the vegetation dies off.

However, We have a friendly neighbor just up the road with an amazing 3 acre pond. Water is well maintained and the fish are fat and willing to eat.

Took the wife and kiddo out several times in the past. Most recently was this Sunday. Picked up a bucket of shiners and the bass were hungry. Ended up with 9 or 10 in an hours time

Last edited by bloodstick; 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

My biggest tank finally filled completely up last fall. Unfortunately it leaks bad and has already dropped 6' since then. My other 2 are still full.

Comment

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
                        I have been wanting one in the front. It holds water but it just not deep enough to hold a lot of water. Please show your progress as you make your ponds.

Be careful with a shallow pond, as it will become infested with aquatic plants and completely take over. I have a small pond (50' Diameter) behind the house and it has been taken over with some aquatic plant along the edge. The center is about 8' deep with no problems.

Doug

Comment

My journey began 5yrs when my parents bought our ranch. It had a 15 acre lake on it as well as several other tanks ranging from 1/8 acre to 6 acres. I focus primarily on the 15. When we got it it had only been stocked with minnows, Bluegill, Cooper Nose and Red Ears 2 yr previously . We stocked an additional 10,000 shad the first year we had it and add shad each spring each yr. The following year we stocked 1000 Camelot Bells... Well fast forward to this year and caught this this past weekend. 9.5lb Bell. Lots of work but its starting to pay off

Click image for larger version

Name:	camelot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24575068

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribbitlake.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24575069

Comment

Got a small muddy pond at the farm that I plan to start taking efforts to clear. Following this

Comment

Last summer in the drought, my buddy's tank near Enchanted Rock didn't go completely dry, but the water temperature got so high everything died.

I just put 200 1" bluegill, 200 3" green sunfish, 50 5" channel cats, and 10 4" bass in, but I'm not sure if the bait fish will populate fast enough. Hoping bass that size can eat insects, etc until we get a good minnow population back in there. I saw a few when I walked the shoreline, so they're in there a bit, but nothing like prior to the die off.

It's only a little over an acre.

Comment

Working...
                              X