Pond Dam planting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond Dam planting

My dad is having a stock tank reworked and made bigger in N TX. Just curious if anyone has a recommendation on what to plant to help stop erosion. He has a water on site so watering the seed is an option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
    My dad is having a stock tank reworked and made bigger in N TX. Just curious if anyone has a recommendation on what to plant to help stop erosion. He has a water on site so watering the seed is an option.

Bermuda

Comment

This time of year, probably perennial rye or winter wheat. For next spring, Turner Seed has some options for something long lasting.

Comment

I would put Bermuda seed now and oats/wheat later.
        Fertilizer after it comes up. Is there topsoil in the dam or just clay ?

BP

Comment

You want a cover crop on that bare dirt ASAP. Wheat will be up in 4-6 days, Oats 10-14 days, Rye grass 5-10 days and Bermuda 10-15 days. Throw out your seed of choice along with fertilizer and if all possible cover with hay or soil erosion mats. Nothing wrong with mixing a fast growing seed like Wheat or Rye with your Bermuda seed mixed in. You have a short window to get a good cover crop on that new construction. Nothing worse than ruts all over a new tank, with all that soil running back into the water. With your onsite water, I would keep that soil moist for fastest germination.

Comment

If you're interested in wildlife at all, stick with something native. Bermuda, bahia, rye...all invasive once it's established. Bamert Seed, Turner Seed, and Native American Seed all have good options and mixes. You want a perennial sodforming grass as opposed to a bunchgrass or annual.

Comment

Good recommendations. I know what to not let grow there. Cypress trees [emoji30]. Knees and roots. Animals dig next to them or erosion starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I used rye grass 1st fall/winter. Put it on heavy. Worked good.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                  I would put Bermuda seed now and oats/wheat later.
                  Fertilizer after it comes up. Is there topsoil in the dam or just clay ?

BP
                  The gentleman reworking the tank said he would put a layer of top soil on the dam at the end of the job. I had thought about planting winter wheat on it immediately after its finished and then coming back next spring with Bermuda.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                    The gentleman reworking the tank said he would put a layer of top soil on the dam at the end of the job. I had thought about planting winter wheat on it immediately after its finished and then coming back next spring with Bermuda.

Just get something established on it quickly. One good rain and it’ll wash ruts in it. It’s a pain in the butt, but get some hay or stray and throw out also once it’s seeded. That will help protect you if you get a rain before the seeds sprouts out good. Also, if you plant it in wheat, if you leave it and it goes to head, it’ll continue to come back year after year so keep that in mind for whatever other grass you plan to seed it with now or in spring. I’ve got some areas I seeded with wheat for some fast coverage 5-7 years ago and it comes up every year and goes back to head.

Comment

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Hydroseed is an option or you can look online for erosion control material with seed .

Comment

rye grows super easy and pretty thick. That'd be what I go with. You definitely want something that has the highest chance of coming up. Then when it goes dormant you get decent cover from weeds while you plant some bermuda around the edges of the pond and let it grow up into the rye as it dies off.

Also there is a company here in tx that creates seed mixes for various things. Pond face is one of them. Check them out:

Specializing in native wildflower and prairie grass seeds from the Texas-Oklahoma-Louisiana region.
                          Last edited by DeadEyeB; 09-05-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
                            Hydroseed is an option or you can look online for erosion control material with seed .
                            Id do this.

Comment

Turner Seed in Breckenridge has a Dam Mix that worked well for me

Comment

Working...
                              X