Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you all hearing on home schooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you all hearing on home schooling?

My wife has been talking to friends in our area who have started the home school paperwork for next year. They are so afraid of this virus BS. I feel like I live in a twilight zone. FTR- my kids will return to public school.

Sent from my iPhone

My daughter and her husband are looking into it. They are very disappointed with the lack of proper planning and forward thinking of their school - and they use the private school because the public school is horrible.

They've been basically homeschooling since March and the private school still charged them for tuition for April and May.

Comment

Been homeschooling ours for a little over 12 years. Son has finished, Daughter has 2 more years to go. It has worked out good for us.

Comment

I am not against homeschooling if you live in a cruddy isd ,
        But the two families that I do know who do homeschooling both have kids that are weirdos
        And are very socially awkward, maybe they would be weirdos even with real class time and friends ?

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          But the two families that I do know who do homeschooling both have kids that are weirdos
          And are very socially awkward, maybe they would be weirdos even with real class time and friends ?
          This has been my experience too.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            That's exactly why my son in law is against HS. A lot of parents home school because their kids have learning disabilities and need extra time or have social development problems. So, the social problems start before home schooling. HS was the solution to help them get through school. It may seem HS makes some kids weird, but I think that is backwards.

There's a family of 8 kids that HS close to me. All of them seem pretty normal to me. They are all smart, hard workers and go getters too. I'd rather have them help me with stuff than most other kids.

Comment

Not really good for active kids. Education will be as good as the person home schooling but hard on college scholarship opportunities. If they are athletes in a team sport it will be a disappointment. Yes they have leagues. It’s about as competitive as a YMCA league and not for top end athletes. They also don’t seem to learn life lesson very well and are sheltered. Had a pair of sisters move in when I was in college. About a week after they moved in they were both catching up with lost time. Didn’t bother me at all as I benefited from them being locked away for years. I helped educated them on bad morals and deviant acts

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Not really good for active kids. Education will be as good as the person home schooling but hard on college scholarship opportunities. If they are athletes in a team sport it will be a disappointment. Yes they have leagues. It’s about as competitive as a YMCA league and not for top end athletes. They also don’t seem to learn life lesson very well and are sheltered. Had a pair of sisters move in when I was in college. About a week after they moved in they were both catching up with lost time. Didn’t bother me at all as I benefited from them being locked away for years. I helped educated them on bad morals and deviant acts
                True on your statement about the person homeschooling/teaching. Homeschooling is NOT for everyone, as it is whatever is best for each family/child. The remainder of what you said is not true, as a blanket statement. Some of it could be, and I'm sure definitely is true in various situations, but not as a whole.

My wife and I began homeschooling about 10 years ago...I was against it, but agreed to try. We are/were both certified public educators and I was a HS coach...so sports was a big reason why I didn't want to homeschool. My wife was right, as she is most of the time....best decision we ever made!

Homeschool sports are growing like crazy. Football (maybe others), I would agree, is tough for homeschool athletes to get noticed. But, I personally coach a high school/homeschool basketball team. 90% of our opponents are public/private schools and we more than hold our own. Homeschool basketball specifically is HUGE and the competition level is very high. Did you know that Justin Jackson, who plays for the Dallas Mavericks, was a homeschool player from Houston? Also, his little brother (graduated this year) and sister both play for a Dallas area homeschool team and are said to be going to D1 schools to play. There is a relatively high percentage of homeschool basketball players, in fact, that do play college basketball. As to why they homeschool and/or play homeschool sports, that can be a separate subject. But, to that point, there is a good number of players that become homeschooled to play basketball, so that they can have better opportunity to play in college.

I'll just say that homeschooling is not what it used to be, and that is a good thing. Sure, there may still be some stereotypical weirdo homeschoolers (as some would say) around, but from my perspective over the past 10 years, that is not the majority....not even close.

Comment

I’m betting the larger districts are busy scrambling for a way to address the fears parents have of c19. Some kind of home distance learning program. Big districts haven’t been affected much by home schoolers in the past but there is NO WAY they are going to lose that much federal money if a significant percentage of parents elect to keep their kids home because of covid 19.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                    I’m betting the larger districts are busy scrambling for a way to address the fears parents have of c19. Some kind of home distance learning program. Big districts haven’t been affected much by home schoolers in the past but there is NO WAY they are going to lose that much federal money if a significant percentage of parents elect to keep their kids home because of covid 19.
                    Yep, and as a homeschool parent, this is concerning. Not because others will start homeschooling, but because the government entities will start trying to regulate who can/can't and also what you can/can't teach. Already a topic in other areas of the country.

Comment

I am betting there will be a significant percentage of parents that do not want to send their kids back in the fall and will ask to continue with the online lessons we have been doing for 2 months now. its going to be interesting to see how the districts handle it.

Comment

I just hope the idiots open it up and give people an option. My kid is headed out of state if the campus opens. He needs to get there and get on the program but I don't see them letting them in during the 2nd Summer either.

Comment

My kids have been half home and half private school for 4 years now. It is a huge sacrifice for us. We ain’t made of money but the Ed is likely much better. That said I am insisting my son go to public school in HS for sports. Their current school does not have sports.

Comment

This is what I am hearing. We pay a ton of school taxes and have a very good district. If a bunch of kids stay home and the school loses those federal dollars they will in turn raise school taxes.

They (our community) are so afraid of this virus that they do not want their kids around the other kids.

This was definitely not started to debate home schooling vs public but it is interesting to read the comments.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

My wife is a teacher and told me today she would be ok with opening schools so she can teach kids in person. If they want to remote in, there are teachers that want to teach those kids. It’s hard for her to teach 7th grade math online. My daughter will be going back to school if it’s open

Comment

Working...
                              X