Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 AR Grendel Barrel suggestions

Guys,

Looking to upgrade my grendel barrel. Ive got a Alexander Arms 18" Lite barrel now but unfortunately it doesn't have much left in her at 1000 yards. Looking at a 24" barrel for long range shooting.

Any suggestions?

If I were stuck on a 24", I'd get a Krieger

BUT the reason I shoot the Grendel is because it stays supersonic at 1000yds out of a short barrel. I think mine is a 12" Faxon. The idea of a short/light gun capable out to 1000 yds is the draw to me. So it's hard for me to relate.

That said, I do think the most common length is 18"ish like yours.
    Faxon does have a match 20" with flutes for a reasonable price.

Comment

Technically it should and will with factory ammo at 2490 but shoots like crap with horrible 20-30 SD. Quickloads and my good groups are at 2300-2350 and with 123eld match that’s around 1070fps at 1000 so it went subsonic then.

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post

BUT the reason I shoot the Grendel is because it stays supersonic at 1000yds out of a short barrel. I think mine is a 12" Faxon. The idea of a short/light gun capable out to 1000 yds is the draw to me. So it's hard for me to relate.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        Technically it should and will with factory ammo at 2490 but shoots like crap with horrible 20-30 SD. Quickloads and my good groups are at 2300-2350 and with 123eld match that’s around 1070fps at 1000 so it went subsonic then.
        That makes sense.

Which brings up the balance between short-stiff barrels (that you don't have to worry as much about accuracy nodes with) and velocity on the other side.

I've only shot my 12" out to 830yds and it did stellar. We were all shooting the same steel plate so I'm not sure about groupings, but it was IPSC size and banging away.

How far are you going to try and reach with the 24"?

Comment

Plan is as far as I can get. 800 the 18” did fine but even with the 6.5 bullets it starts to fall off quick.

1000-1200 is currently what we can get on our place so that puts me at max supersonic distance. I’d try further but learning how the bullets go trans sonic is my next learning experience.

Also shooting the 129 Hornady soft points would be nice for deer in a 24”

That makes sense.

Which brings up the balance between short-stiff barrels (that you don't have to worry as much about accuracy nodes with) and velocity on the other side.

I've only shot my 12" out to 830yds and it did stellar. We were all shooting the same steel plate so I'm not sure about groupings, but it was IPSC size and banging away.

How far are you going to try and reach with the 24"?

Comment

Anyone use Saturn cut rifle barrels?

Comment

Saturn is good. I’m running an AR15performance barrel

Comment

I was going to get one of those but wanted a 24”. Buddy has one in 6.8 and it shoots amazing.

Just ordered a Saturn cut rifling 24” barrel with a head spaced bolt

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Saturn is good. I’m running an AR15performance barrel

Comment

I had an 18" Odin that was accurate. Factory ammo was shooting 2" groups at 300

Comment

Satern barrel and never look back ! they shoot amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                      I had an 18" Odin that was accurate. Factory ammo was shooting 2" groups at 300
                      I'm happy with my 20" Odin as well.

Comment

I'm running 24" Saturn and love it.

Comment

Seems like the saturn was a good choice then

Comment

I just got one of those 12.5" faxon Gunner barrels in 6.5. I'm very happy with it.

I've also got a 20" bhw that shoots under an inch and used to have a massively heavy 24" Satern but sold it. The Satern was the best shooter, but I got too heavy of a profile and length. I wouldn't exceed 20".

Comment

I like the Faxon "Gunner" series. A nice compromise.
                              Playing with a 350 Legend right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X