2020 Garner State Park Hunt Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Garner State Park Hunt Updated

As some know my wife was drawn for the second hunt at Garner this year. When she got there on Wednesday they told there has been 13 axis and 1 hog killed so far this week. So it sounded very promising going into it having read all the other negative and bad experiences most have had there. As she pulled into orientation a axis buck walked out in front of her and that was all she needed to get excited about the hunt. Since she was the only girl there, they let her draw for a blind first and she got blind 12. Which after looking at some other post blind 12 is a good one to get, but they have renumbered all the blinds from the look of things. I saw a post of the park with all the blind numbers and I went on OnX maps and marked all the blinds and when she told me 12 I got excited for her but since the renumbered them she wasn't in a very good spot in my opinion. She put out some chaffehay and corn but she said there was a ton of protein, cheetos and fritos all over the ground by the feeder. So it doesn't appear there has been anything in that area. She put in for a redraw after this mornings hunt as drew blind 21 which has had no hunters in this week so that makes it have some potential. There has only been 2 axis does shot since Wednesday night and I believe a few have shot and missed. So hopefully her luck will turn around and she will be able the get an opportunity. I have uploaded the map from this year just to help people out in future dates there
    Attached Files

In for hopefully positive results!

Good luck to her.

This has been a dream hunt of mine forever. Even though it appears not as coveted as it once was.

Comment

I shot one axis in a spot not 100 yards from one of the restrooms. Maybe 21. The others came from the old park across the river which appears aint on the map

Comment

I sat in blind 12, with my daughter, for 3 day last year and never saw a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I shot one axis in a spot not 100 yards from one of the restrooms. Maybe 21. The others came from the old park across the river which appears aint on the map
          That spot across the river is the one I really wanted her to get, but it does appear they don't hunt it or took it down sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
            I sat in blind 12, with my daughter, for 3 day last year and never saw a thing.
            The Game Warden tried to convince her to stay but she held her ground on moving. One other guy did a blind change and he went from 18 to 12 today

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              In for hopefully positive results!

Good luck to her.

This has been a dream hunt of mine forever. Even though it appears not as coveted as it once was.
              Me too, I am really kicking myself for not putting both of us in on the same draw lol

Comment

Good luck! I have seen some monster Axis bucks in that park and herds of Axis like on TV.
                We have a hog trap set up not too far away, close to the Frio on a camp ground. Good chance of getting hogs your way. A MONSTER mountain Lion was taken by the Garven store about 6 months ago. Which is not far away either.
                I hope she connects!

Comment

Good luck! lots of Axis in that area!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck! I'd like to do that hunt one day!

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

We camped at the park two weeks ago for a weekend getaway. I drove around the park during prime times and was surprised i didn't see any deer.
                          Good luck hope u kill an axis.

Comment

Good luck. My group was 4/4 on axis does several years back. Hunt master was a bit of a tool and told us we were an inconvenience to the park but it was a decent hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                              Good luck. My group was 4/4 on axis does several years back. Hunt master was a bit of a tool and told us we were an inconvenience to the park but it was a decent hunt.
                              I've heard this so many times now, and can't understand why they would have someone in that position with that opinion towards hunters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X