Heavy Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
    I shoot a 425 grain arrow with 16% FOC on it at 304 FPS... that arrow blows through everything {axis @ 30 yards, axis @ 51 yards, elk @ 62 yards} caught some partial shoulder/leg bone on all those shots... definitely think there is a balance of speed and weight we have to play with. Just something to think about, especially on western hunting you don’t want your arrow too slow with some distances you may have to shoot... heavy is definitely better than too light. Good luck with the set up!
    I agree, there is a balance. I’m still in experimental stages, but I sure do like the heavy arrows.

I’m just not hung up on speed, but it is a balancing act.

Comment

Heavy Arrows

He’s helped me a lot. Shot the heaviest arrows I’ve ever shot this year (500 gr). Shot a pig and it broke and went through both knuckles. Shot a doe with a black hornet and buried the head in the offside leg bone

I got some 200 gr single bevels so it’ll bump me over 600 gr. Just haven’t shot a critter yet

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	24604053
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	24604054

Comment

Originally posted by antiparadigm View Post
        He reminds me of a co-worker of mine. Funny guy. Like my coworker though, he is great in small doses! Lol

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

That’s probably pretty accurate[emoji23]

Comment

I was shooting some 400 grain total weight arrows and watched some hogs run off with my arrows like I shot them with a blow dart gun....I built some 600 grain total weight arrows with the advice of the ranch fairy and hoss at ethics archery and shot the same very large boar that ran off with my lightweight arrow and mechanical just months before....he cratered and didnt make it 25 yards...I've shot some white tails and smaller hogs with the same setup and blown right thru them....I get the need for speed at times...but what's the point if when it gets there it doesnt penetrate enuf to get the job done...i hunt in texas, if the hogs show up i wanna be set up to kill the biggest nastiest boar in existence...I'm on the side of the o.p. ....I shoot his same draw weight and while I dont need to shoot a 800 grain spear of an arrow, shooting something a little heavier I'm now more confident with after watching lighter arrows with mechanicals fail twice now....I also prefer 45acp vs 9mm if that says anything also....

Comment

I am shooting a 47# bow now, 400 grain arrow, so far no issues with pass throughs on 100# hogs.
            I have decided I will shoot any huge hogs through the neck or very strong quartering away.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
              He’s helped me a lot. Shot the heaviest arrows I’ve ever shot this year (500 gr). Shot a pig and it broke and went through both knuckles. Shot a doe with a black hornet and buried the head in the offside leg bone

I got some 200 gr single bevels so it’ll bump me over 600 gr. Just haven’t shot a critter yet

[ATTACH]986213[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]986214[/ATTACH]
              Looks like it's working. That's awesome.

Comment

Heavy arrows inside 40 yards, I am in favor of. Heavy arrows past that are dropping inches per yard. Let’s say an elk comes up fast and you judge him at 60 yrds instead of 66. You may hit the ground before it ever reaches the elk. Ranch Fairy admits he’s a terrible elk hunter. He hunts pigs at 20 yards under a feeder. Big difference.

Comment

IMO, if you get to 450gr and put a true COC broadhead on the front, you can shoot through a lot of animals. I love the idea of really heavy arrows, but shooting 62ish with a 28” draw, your pin gap past 40 gets horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is why I love this site , I had the same issues on weight and this forum always has the best input from multiple sides .

Comment

Originally posted by Stick bow View Post
                      This is why I love this site , I had the same issues on weight and this forum always has the best input from multiple sides .
                      I agree, this forum is my go to place over all others for this exact reason. It is a great place to get views from all angles, and bounce ideas off of each other.

Comment

I’m feeling good about this batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post

I’m feeling good about this batch.
                          He77 yeah!

Comment

Working...
                          X