No announcement yet.

Rifle / Caliber for 13 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Creedmoor in the X-Bolt Hell's Canyon, Shoot the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X

Comment

6.5 Creed or 7mm08

Comment

25-06 gets my vote. Great availability of ammo and he can hunt most anything in Texas with it from predators to mule deer. I have numerous calibers of rifles and my 25-06 is the one I usually take to the stand with me.

Comment

Got a .270 when I was about 14 that fit me great 7mm 08 is also great for being able to grow with the hunter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

7-08

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
              243 is a great rifle. A 6mm ? I think the caliber isn’t the issue, the something to call his own is the issue.
              Good Luck !

Sent from my iPhone using
              Tapatalk
              Have several .243's, inherited, my son's first rifle, etc.....6mm, as I'm sure you know, is basically the same thing, but, IMOP it's superior (and the ballistics prove it)....first deer rifle I ever had was given to me by my father for Christmas @ 12 and was a LH 788 6mm....big time tack driver.... so call me sentimental, but, it's been a Whitetail killing machine to this day.....so yes, 6mm....and I've NEVER had an issue finding ammo, just not quite as easy as a .243. However, certainly as easy as most of the calibers listed in this thread....
              Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-22-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Some solid advise and the 7mm-08 is a great performer. I'm also a big fan of the .270 and the first rifle I bought with my own money was a Browning Abolt II in .270 caliber. Still have that gun and same Leupold scope that went on it. It still lays them down if I do my part. Very accurate gun and the trigger adjusted down to a nice and crisp 3lbs on mine. As stated both calibers offer reduced recoil ammo (as do most) so I wouldn't worry about to much.

Comment

Rifle / Caliber for 13 year old?

Got my daughter a Savage Lady Hunter in 7-08 when she was 11. Put a fixed 10x scope on it, and it’s been bombproof. It’s a much nicer rifle than all of the “youth” rifles, and similar size LOP for a smaller frame shooter.

I developed some low recoil rounds for it (120 gn Nosler and H4895) and she’s taken all kinds of critters with it.

Now she’s bigger, and we’re developing a full power load with a 140 gn Berger Hunting bullet and H4895. We may tinker with some other powders along the way.

I love shooting it, and have stacked up quite a few critters with it myself.

She can shoot this rifle for the rest of her life.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                  Last edited by Gummi Bear; 12-22-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HCGedge3 View Post
                    Thank you so much for all the response.

Looks like we are going to go with the Browning X-Bolt 7-08.

What is the best ammo to
                    Use for this gun?
                    My wife’s Howa 7mm-08 loves the Hornady 139 gr SST’s

Comment

My son started shooting my Browning A-bolt 25-06 When he was 12.Had a small leather shooting rest in all the blinds.Filled with lead shot.He always shot it well,and never complained about recoil.Probably had a little to do with the fact he was always wearing a heavy coat also.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My 13 year old nephew shoots whatever we hand him. He got a 6.5 CM for Christmas last year and been shooting my 308 for three years now. He wants to shoot his dad’s .270wsm and my 7mm rem mag. Hasn’t tried them yet but we cracked off several hundred rounds yesterday at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7-08 or .308 depending on how he handles recoil. Either is a gun for a lifetime.

Comment

22 250

Comment

.270 Weatherby Vanguard was my first about that same age. Still my fave rifle in my mid 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                                Browning X bolt in 7-08 . It’ll last him a lifetime & then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                I bought my son the xbolt in 7-08 a few years ago... I don't hunt with a rifle much beyond shooting pigs with an AR, but whenever I have an occasion to grab a bolt gun out of the safe, it's the first one I grab... It's just a really comfortable gun to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X