Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria
Default Suppressing a rifle? What caliber would you do?

Iím thinking of setting up a good deer and pig gun for my daughter, if you were going to set up a good gun for deer and pigs with minimum recoil and then suppress it to limit noise and get as quite as possible what caliber would you do and what gun or model? 300 blackout, 308, 6.5,????? Also what suppressor would you use?

Letís hear your suggestions.
Big Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

If goal is low volume and ability to knock down a pig/WT, I'd go bolt action 308 with DeadAir Nomad L
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

243 shooting 87 grain bergers with the Deadair Nomad.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Man, this is a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge type question. It should be entertaining at least. Some clarificAtions might help, like type of hunting scenarios, ranges you would like tone tend out to, etc.

I personally just put together a .308 Bergara with my Yankee Hill ULT and really like the setup. One thing I would suggest, not to have the barrel over 18” if you plan on running a silencer on it.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Probably a 16” 308 bolt action. Subs are going to be the same between it and the BO as far as noise, and when you want to hunt with it you have a standard velocity 308.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

300blkout or 308 bolt guns would be quieter than their semi-auto counterparts. I’m venturing into using the heaviest cast lead pill that’ll stabilize out of my 1:7 300blkout and 1:10 308 Remmys suppressed with my F1 can.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Savage 270. And buy the lite recoil ammo until she can handle regular recoil.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
sendit
Ten Point

For minimum recoil and noise a .223, 6.5 Grendel or 300 Black Out

Stepping up with recoil the sky is the limit..... 22-250, 243 Win, 308 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 just to start

Any decent 30 caliber suppressor will work with any of the above mentioned cartridges.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

My 270 is suppressed with SiCo Specwar. It is hearing safe at the gun all day. They do not make the Specwar anymore but it has been a great can.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
hog_down
Ten Point

.300 Blackout with a can is pretty dang quiet and doesn't kick at all
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett

If going semi-automatic I would go with 16" AR15 in 6.5Grendel.

If bolt action I would go with 308. Specifically Bergara Ridge SP with 18" barrel.

Only reason I don't recommend the 308 in AR10 platform is because they get stupid heavy quickly for a kid.

For suppressor I would look at the Silencerco Hybrid with an omega brake on it. or a Deadair Sandman due to the trilug quick connect system.
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
MossyRockRanch
Four Point

Hunt In: Jack County

308 bolt 16 inch suppressed is what i have my ladies shooting. 175 yards or less and plenty quiet.
MossyRockRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

243 or 6 Creed around 20" with a Nomad or Nomad L.

A lighter 70 gr load will have very little recoil, and the heavier 100+ class still wont have much recoil while increasing abilities.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
sahunter
Six Point

tagged
sahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
imyomama
Ten Point

300 blk ... run supers and it doesn't kick much and will kill deer to 300 yards.
Run subs and you can smack pigs all night long without spooking the next batch .

imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #16
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

First go and order the suppressors and you will have about a year to decide on the guns.

Calibers... I just got my cans in. a .22 cal & .30 cal. Dead air brand

got bolt action guns for both and real quiet. the .22 is a blast to shoot.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I'm about to sell a 16" R700 SPS 300 blackout. Would be perfect for a youth shooter. Very very silent, sounds like a pellet gun with a can. Less than 50 rounds down the pipe. Would also come with a timney trigger that I never put in it. Selling it because I never use it. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

I've shot just about every "on the shelf" caliber suppressed and some wildcats. NOTHING is more silent than a 300 blackout boltgun. If you want a video of this 300 blackout boltgun suppressed lobbing subs shoot me a PM, i'll text it over.

Last edited by yotethumper; 02-20-2020 at 03:00 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #18
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
243 or 6 Creed around 20" with a Nomad or Nomad L.

A lighter 70 gr load will have very little recoil, and the heavier 100+ class still wont have much recoil while increasing abilities.

^^For the win^^

I might prefer the 6.5 creed but thatís splitting hairs. Bolt action will be quieter and will be easier to achieve accuracy. Unless youíre planning to shoot a long way, get a 20Ē - 22Ē barrel and pick a suppressor known for precision shooting, like the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in .30cal so you can use it on any rifle sheís likely to shoot. Unless sheís planning to get into some kind of speed shooting competition youíll want a suppressor thatís headed towards precision rather than high volume fire. .308 is fine but it has more recoil and Iíve never seen the point. Itís unnecessary for TX hunting and you asked for low recoil. The Creeds provide all the punch you need but with noticeably (especially to a lady) less recoil. Theyíve got a little better ballistics and thereís some fantastically accurate factory loads out there.

If you decide to go with a gas gun, Iíd go with the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC. The Grendel has more ammo choices, though, (from what Iíve seen where I live. So, that gives the Grendel an edge in my opinion. Iíd probably seriously consider the Valkyrie as well just because itís a super cool round; but itíll require a longer barrel and ammo choices are going to be more limited and a bit more expensive.

No idea how old your daughter is or how strong she is but I usually find that most girls/ladies prefer bolt rifles. Iíd get her I put on what interests her. Even if she doesnít know much, her gut instinct is worth considering , imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #19
progolferv1
Ten Point

I would look at a 6.5 grendal
progolferv1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #20
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolferv1 View Post
I would look at a 6.5 grendal
6.5 grendel is my primary thermal and night hunting rifle. Have a 12", 16", 18' and a 24". Those suckers are LOUD suppressed. I tend to wear hearing protection when I am shooting hogs and dumping rounds.

Last edited by yotethumper; 02-20-2020 at 03:13 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #21
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

my 7 year old prefers shooting the 300BO to his 6.5 Creed. I've shot a pile of pigs and a few deer with the 300BO suppressed and they all have been dead within 50 yards of where I shot them. I use the Barnes 110 Tac-TX ammo and it has been extremely lethal and very little recoil out of an AR.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
6.5 grendel is my primary thermal and night hunting rifle. Have a 12", 16", 18' and a 24". Those suckers are LOUD suppressed. I tend to wear hearing protection when I am shooting hogs and dumping rounds.

I agree with this. I have the 18" barrel on mine even shooting suppressed its still louder than my 270 suppressed. I do not wear ear pro because I still think it is hearing safe but it is noticeably louder than some other rounds.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #23
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Todd View Post
Iím thinking of setting up a good deer and pig gun for my daughter, if you were going to set up a good gun for deer and pigs with minimum recoil and then suppress it to limit noise and get as quite as possible what caliber would you do and what gun or model? 300 blackout, 308, 6.5,????? Also what suppressor would you use?

Letís hear your suggestions.
Do all of them! Once you shoot suppressed you wont want to shoot anything else!!!!!! Buy a 30 cal can 1st and it will cover a lot of different calibers!!!!
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #24
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: midwest

300 Black Out in a bolt platform.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #25
Aggiebow88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Arkansas

[QUOTE=Horitexan;14713729]^^For the win^^

I might prefer the 6.5 creed but thatís splitting hairs. Bolt action will be quieter and will be easier to achieve accuracy. Unless youíre planning to shoot a long way, get a 20Ē - 22Ē barrel and pick a suppressor known for precision shooting, like the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in .30cal so you can use it on any rifle sheís likely to shoot. Unless sheís planning to get into some kind of speed shooting competition youíll want a suppressor thatís headed towards precision rather than high volume fire. .308 is fine but it has more recoil and Iíve never seen the point. Itís unnecessary for TX hunting and you asked for low recoil. The Creeds provide all the punch you need but with noticeably (especially to a lady) less recoil. Theyíve got a little better ballistics and thereís some fantastically accurate factory loads out there.

If you decide to go with a gas gun, Iíd go with the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC. The Grendel has more ammo choices, though, (from what Iíve seen where I live. So, that gives the Grendel an edge in my opinion. Iíd probably seriously consider the Valkyrie as well just because itís a super cool round; but itíll require a longer barrel and ammo choices are going to be more limited and a bit more expensive.

No idea how old your daughter is or how strong she is but I usually find that most girls/ladies prefer bolt rifles. Iíd get her I put on what interests her. Even if she doesnít know much, her gut instinct is worth considering , imo.

THIS for the win:
or close... 6.5 creed with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 is a GREAT combo!
and this is a big time ford vs chev
Aggiebow88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Todd,

I just pulled this out of the back of the safe to list on gunbroker...my plan was to use it specifically for heavy subs, but just couldn't get into them. Have the SBR so basically forgot about it. It's a personal gun so no tax but would still need to ship to an ffl.

700 AAC-SD Tactical 300 Blackout. Should be a perfect kid gun with those 110gr Barnes. I kill the snot out of stuff with the 12.5"!!

It doesn't have more than 20-30 rounds & basically NIB.

$500 shipped.
Attached Images

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #27
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria

Great info guys keep it coming
Big Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #28
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Todd,

I just pulled this out of the back of the safe to list on gunbroker...my plan was to use it specifically for heavy subs, but just couldn't get into them. Have the SBR so basically forgot about it. It's a personal gun so no tax but would still need to ship to an ffl.

700 AAC-SD Tactical 300 Blackout. Should be a perfect kid gun with those 110gr Barnes. I kill the snot out of stuff with the 12.5"!!

$500 shipped.
I have that same gun and it shoots .5MOA with 150gr SST pills at 1850fps all day long. Gonna work up a sub load next with my F1 can.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #29
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

My vote also for the 300BO. That caliber was designed to burn all of its powder in 7-9" bbls and with a can, the OAL would be in the 26" range. Light, quiet, small hard hitting with bullet weights ranging from 100-220gr. Super and sub. Build it in a AR pistol platform with a SB3 brace and your daughter can use it through her adulthood.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #30
Artos
Pope & Young

I should have played with supers but the sbr shoots so well, I just never got around to it...I had it bedded in an HS Police stock with a jewell. I had just finished putting on the original furniture when I came across the thread & figured it may work.

I used 220gr Sierra's with W680 which is now obsolete but 1680 is close...it dumped them into a pile & killed one pig with it, but there's really no point IMO. The thud is no different than the bang of supers so there is no real stealth advantage to sub with centerfire rounds IMO. 22LR is where it's at with subs.

I have killed deer out to 200 with the 110 barnes / SBR.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #31
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

I’ll second the 6.5 Grendel. It doesn’t have hardly any kick and drops deer and piggies way out there. I just bought a Sig Sauer SRD762 Ti QD can for the 6.5 Grendel that’ll be my go to rifle. I’m gonna thread my Weatherby .270 just because and will let it sit on my Windham Weaponry AR-15 in .556. It’s a hog dropper too.
Attached Images

Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #32
xman59
Pope & Young

i would find me a 44 mag, so i can have a wide variety of bullet weights,,, nothing like big heavy slugs even at reduced velocities they hit real hard and penetrate!
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #33
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

6.8spc bolt rifle with Deadair sandman L
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #34
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

I run an 18” 308 bolt gun with a yhm resonator. Hearing safe, very little recoil and still maneuverable in a deer stand. Launches 175gr edge tlrs about 2550 FPS. There’s not a deer or hog around here that wants any part of it
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #35
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Todd,

$500 shipped.

Not sure if you sold it yet but please PM me if interested, Ive been looking for that gun for a bit now!

-Jack
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #36
Artos
Pope & Young

It's yours Jack...pm sent.