Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    7.62x39. It has it all.
    Yep. Switched to this round on all my hunting ARs, including 10.5 pistols. Kills them all....and very cheaply at that

Comment

Just do a .223/5.56. Cheap ammo, cheap mags, longish range target capability and plenty good for hogs and varmints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
        Just do a .223/5.56. Cheap ammo, cheap mags, longish range target capability and plenty good for hogs and varmints.

That’s where I lean, especially if it’s going to do quite a bit of plinking. Range ammo is $5-$8 a box and good hunting ammo is the same or less as as the other calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          That’s where I lean, especially if it’s going to do quite a bit of plinking. Range ammo is $5-$8 a box and good hunting ammo is the same or less as as the other calibers.

Yup. You can find Speer gold dot and MK262 clones for around 50 cents/round. Then there’s the gold standard Federal Fusion that’s perfectly reasonable. That covers you for hunting and some long range stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            Yup. You can find Speer gold dot and MK262 clones for around 50 cents/round. Then there’s the gold standard Federal Fusion that’s perfectly reasonable. That covers you for hunting and some long range stuff.

But it’s not cool bruh.

The cheapest 6.5 Grendel ammo at midway is $18 a box (Hornady Frontier). The same in .223 is $10 a box. Power shock 64 grain .223 is $14 a box, while 6.5 is $18 a box for hunting ammo.

IMO, .223 is the best option for the ar15 platform, especially if one doesn’t reload. All the others were built to work with an existing design, and leave quite a bit to be desired when compared to the AR10 cartridges.

Comment

My wife took her first ever deer with a 6.8SPC AR at 110yds. Deer was shot through both shoulders and ran maybe 30yds before piling up dead. I do reload for the 6.8 using the Hornady 110 BTHP pills at 2550fps. It’s a great round with little recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                I went crazy and bought a Falkor Petra in 300 win mag. It’s by far my most favorite gun to shoot.

Black Ice i guess you and I are the only ones running 300 win mag in the AR platform. It is a blast to shoot and takes out everything. HAHA

Comment

Here's another thought:

We have 2 of our hunters that have gone to the 6.5, one in Grendel and one has the PRC.

Over the past 2 seasons, two of the best bucks ever taken on our lease near Robert Lee were with each of these 2 rifles. Mine is the Grendel in the AR 15 platform and the other lease member has bolt. His PRC is a little faster but both kills did this:

*Both were heart/lung shots
                  *Both Bucks made it about 25 yards and DRT
                  *Both had very small exit wounds with marginal blood trails
                  *Both on field dressing had absolutely shredded lungs and hearts

Best thing....minimal recoil and precision hits. I know, all depends on optics and shooters ability but BOTH did the job and are fun to shoot. I've changed over the years and my preferred Deer/Hog caliber and rifle is the Grendel in AR platform. I shoot the Hornady SST, not sure what Jonas shoots in his PRC.

The AR 15 platform will be lighter than the 10. The boys and I had a 10 in the 308 and it was great as well, but weight could be an issue, thus I'm very satisfied in the Grendel.

Good luck and have fun...

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
                    I’ve been real interested in the Valkyrie, I guess just looking for first hand info.

I will say that I do prefer a flat round (subjective, yes, but meaning flat compared to range of effectiveness)...not sure how that comes in to play here, but figured I would mention it.
                    I have really thought of converting my RRA 223 into the Valkyrie. Main thing is I have kinda donated that gun to my mom for her “around the farm” gun. And figured with the Valkyrie it would give her a little more flat shooting and harder hitting.

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                    If I wanted 1 AR to do everything... it would have to be Grendel. Out to 500 easy for targets, enough energy to take down any pig in TX, trust it enough to shoot a deer if needed, not as heavy as an AR10 in 308 but more energy than any other AR15 caliber.

If you watch sales you can pick up the Hornady American Gunner 200 Round ammo cans for under $1/shell.

One negative is that the mags can be picky based on shells, but look for E-Lander mags (LaRue ran them on sale a while back). I personally like the 17round mags as they keep the build light weight.

I have since added a 6.5 Grendel to my arsenal and it is the only AR I use now and have thought about selling my others...
                    I’m going to have to argue this, I have two of them and they suck donkey ***. They’re too dang tight and won’t had issues with bolt over run or just not fully going into battery cause of the mags. I swapped to C Prod DuraMag 10rds and o have two of them and have not had an issue yet. Even did a mag dump one day when some stray dogs came by my deer stand (no I didn’t shoot them) and haven’t missed a beat. I would like more rounds but in my opinion, Elanders suck and aren’t worth the extra money. A lot of folks seem to over look this and say youhave to wear them in with a few 100 rounds, Grendel is too expensive to waste ammo just to break in Mags.

Amend2 is supposed to come out with a polymer mag but their promise is already a year behind

Comment

[QUOTE=futureagg;14669208]If I wanted 1 AR to do everything... it would have to be Grendel. Out to 500 easy for targets, enough energy to take down any pig in TX, trust it enough to shoot a deer if needed, not as heavy as an AR10 in 308 but more energy than any other AR15 caliber.

a great round but it does not have more energy than any other ar 15 caliber,,, the 458 socom beats it soundly and i expect the 50 beowolf and 450 bushmaster do also.... granted none of them have the range of the 6.5

Comment

Check out Wilson Combat, .300 Ham'r. In AR10, I have their 6.5 Creedmoor. Fantastic rifle, shoots very tight.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                          I’m going to have to argue this, I have two of them and they suck donkey ***. They’re too dang tight and won’t had issues with bolt over run or just not fully going into battery cause of the mags. I swapped to C Prod DuraMag 10rds and o have two of them and have not had an issue yet. Even did a mag dump one day when some stray dogs came by my deer stand (no I didn’t shoot them) and haven’t missed a beat. I would like more rounds but in my opinion, Elanders suck and aren’t worth the extra money. A lot of folks seem to over look this and say youhave to wear them in with a few 100 rounds, Grendel is too expensive to waste ammo just to break in Mags.
                          Thats crazy... I bought 3 different types of mags for my grendel and the Elanders were the only ones that consistently ran well. I guess its just a try it until you find what your lower and bolt like consistently.

Comment

[quote=xman59;14673504]
                            Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                            If I wanted 1 AR to do everything... it would have to be Grendel. Out to 500 easy for targets, enough energy to take down any pig in TX, trust it enough to shoot a deer if needed, not as heavy as an AR10 in 308 but more energy than any other AR15 caliber.

a great round but it does not have more energy than any other ar 15 caliber,,, the 458 socom beats it soundly and i expect the 50 beowolf and 450 bushmaster do also.... granted none of them have the range of the 6.5
                            Sorry I forgot about the AR now being offered in those calibers.. I keep thinking between the .223, 300BO, 6.8SPC,7.62x39, valk, and Grendel when I hear about an AR15. You are correct those calibers do have more energy but definitely do not have the energy at range like the Grendel does.

Comment

Great post, has me thinking about a barrel switch for my .300BO. I get custom ammo, 125 gr Hornady SST @ 2230 FPS. My rifle is all stock, S&W MP15 and has done a great job for about 10 years. But, I only carry is for 150 yards and in. I'll be following this post.

Comment

Working...
                              X