Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #101
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
That is correct. It's 150 yards on each side of the trails. Just taking the buffer around the 75 miles of muti-use trails x 300 yds., it works out that more than 40% of the 20,000 acres is off limits to hunting. That doesn't include the recreation areas, hiking trail, Unit 47, roads and boundaries.

The horseback riders are lobbying the FS to expand the trail system.
Because 75 miles isnít enough when you think you own the place.
RShockley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #102
jnd1959
Eight Point

Thanks. I wish onx had the ability to mark a distance from trails and boundaries.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #103
gbrison
Four Point

Hunt In: All over texas/N.M/Az

It does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #104
gbrison
Four Point

Hunt In: All over texas/N.M/Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Thanks. I wish onx had the ability to mark a distance from trails and boundaries.

Go to map tools- Line distance.

gbrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #105
jnd1959
Eight Point

I've used that to place markers at a distance but I wish you could enter a distance and have the program draw the hunting boarder.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #106
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Because 75 miles isnít enough when you think you own the place.
I was speaking with a representative of the USFS last year, nice older guy, I think he was a volunteer. He wasn't very fond of the horse-rider crowd. I can't recall the exact conversation but we were discussing firearm use in the Tadra area.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #107
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
I was speaking with a representative of the USFS last year, nice older guy, I think he was a volunteer. He wasn't very fond of the horse-rider crowd. I can't recall the exact conversation but we were discussing firearm use in the Tadra area.
The majority of the horse crowd has been great to deal with over the years. Unfortunately, there is a very loud vocal minority that is not the greatest to deal with. They tend to forget that the Grasslands are meant to be a multiple use property and not just horse trails. They feel they should take priority over everything else. Like I said though, the majority of the riders I have dealt with in the field have been great. I’ve even had a few give info on where they have been seeing game.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #108
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

If you shoot a deer and it runs onto private, what's the appropriate next step? How would you contact the land owner?
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #109
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
If you shoot a deer and it runs onto private, what's the appropriate next step? How would you contact the land owner?
I would call the game warden. They can help gain access for retrieval. Some of the landowners are to fond of us public land hunters. I have had both good and bad experiences with landowners out there.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #110
JollyRover
Nubbin' Buck

Couldnt find the body. Legend has it the Headless Buck of the Grasslands roams the land seeking vengeance. Be careful out there y'all.
Attached Images

JollyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #111
mbranch
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

I will be out this year, it will be the first year i go out there. ill be in a ground blind hope i can thump one!
mbranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #112
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRover View Post
Couldnt find the body. Legend has it the Headless Buck of the Grasslands roams the land seeking vengeance. Be careful out there y'all.

Yep. I saw him last year. It was a cloudy, dark evening and I was walking back to my truck. I heard something moving through the trees on an intersecting trail. It seemed to float along with just a silent brush up against leaves. There was no footfall. It came to the intersection before me and turned as if it was looking at me. There were no eyes, no face but it seemed to know I was there. I stood stock still and didn't breathe. It's hooves were like metal razors and they sparked when he pawed the ground. It seemed to be searching for me but it couldn't smell, see or hear me. Then I heard the most ferocious snort I have ever heard. Really, I didn't actually hear it as much as felt deep in my soul. It started toward me and for some reason I felt like I was captured and couldn't move. It went by me like it wasn't sure where I was and my fingers brushed its sides. The hair was like sandpaper and was full of burrs. It past me and stopped. Something startled it and drifted off away from me. I stood motionless for a good three to four minutes before I finally continued on my way. I got to my truck and there were prints looking the same as the creature made right next to my truck. I know it's sill out there, tracking, looking.

Sleep lightly my friends. Sleep lightly.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #113
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Yep. I saw him last year. It was a cloudy, dark evening and I was walking back to my truck. I heard something moving through the trees on an intersecting trail. It seemed to float along with just a silent brush up against leaves. There was no footfall. It came to the intersection before me and turned as if it was looking at me. There were no eyes, no face but it seemed to know I was there. I stood stock still and didn't breathe. It's hooves were like metal razors and they sparked when he pawed the ground. It seemed to be searching for me but it couldn't smell, see or hear me. Then I heard the most ferocious snort I have ever heard. Really, I didn't actually hear it as much as felt deep in my soul. It started toward me and for some reason I felt like I was captured and couldn't move. It went by me like it wasn't sure where I was and my fingers brushed its sides. The hair was like sandpaper and was full of burrs. It past me and stopped. Something startled it and drifted off away from me. I stood motionless for a good three to four minutes before I finally continued on my way. I got to my truck and there were prints looking the same as the creature made right next to my truck. I know it's sill out there, tracking, looking.

Sleep lightly my friends. Sleep lightly.

I bet your grandkids love when the sleep over with ya.

My grandfather used to tell us ghost stories. And we'd ask for them too.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #114
jnd1959
Eight Point

The only true value to my life. I love to write stories. Most are funny though. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:20 AM   #115
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Keep writing jnd!
Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #116
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

and just to clarify one more time, I don't need a annual public hunting permit? just a hunting license?
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #117
Razorback01
Pope & Young

For the LBJ at Decauter- no APH is required, regular HL and follow the rules.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:11 AM   #118
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
and just to clarify one more time, I don't need a annual public hunting permit? just a hunting license?
At the LBJ Grasslands all you need is your hunting license and hunters education if you are required by the state. You also still need proper endorsements for archery, upland game birds, and migratory birds as well as the federal duck stamp if you are planning to take part in those activities. I would also recommend checking out the USFS website and office in Decatur to get additional info specific to the Grasslands. There are plate of small rules that are not standard to all places.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #119
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
At the LBJ Grasslands all you need is your hunting license and hunters education if you are required by the state. You also still need proper endorsements for archery, upland game birds, and migratory birds as well as the federal duck stamp if you are planning to take part in those activities. I would also recommend checking out the USFS website and office in Decatur to get additional info specific to the Grasslands. There are plate of small rules that are not standard to all places.
thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #120
hogman$
Six Point

Hunt In: West texas

Quote:
thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times
tree stands and blinds need to be moved every 72 hours good luck on the hunt
hogman$ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #121
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Depending on where you are, spot and stalk can be problematic. If it is crowded you invariable walk into someones setup.

I take a lock on or a blind in and pack it out at the end of the day. If you do leave one, put your name, address and number on it as well as the date you placed it. Move within 72 hours and change the date.

It's just easier for me to set the stand each time I go. Plus, it doesn't telegraph "someone thinks this is a good place to hunt".

I've not had good luck hunting from a blind. It takes too long to get them brushed in each day. But a natural blind may work.

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #122
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Quote:
Depending on where you are, spot and stalk can be problematic. If it is crowded you invariable walk into someones setup.

I take a lock on or a blind in and pack it out at the end of the day. If you do leave one, put your name, address and number on it as well as the date you placed it. Move within 72 hours and change the date.

It's just easier for me to set the stand each time I go. Plus, it doesn't telegraph "someone thinks this is a good place to hunt".

I've not had good luck hunting from a blind. It takes too long to get them brushed in each day. But a natural blind may work.

Good Luck
I agree with this. It's public land so do as you wish but walking around you will run into others and potentially upset them and in my experience it only reduces your chances at getting something on the ground. I'm usually in a hang on but trying out a saddle this year. Good luck out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #123
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Spot and stalk can be problematic for both you and others. With most of the Grasslands broken up into smaller units it doesnít provide much area to walk. Also it gets fairly crowded out here. If you plan on walking a significant amount you will undoubtedly run across others setups. All stands and blinds are required to be moved every 72 hours. I have had the best luck with hang on stands and climbing stands. Slowly acquiring everything needed to saddle hunt. I will probably give that a try next season but seems like a great way to go. Pop up blinds have never worked well for me. Regardless of how much you brush them in they donít tend to look very natural and have always spooked deer in my experience. I have had much better success with natural ground blinds. You donít need nearly as much cover as a lot of people seem to think. Just enough to break up your outline. I used a natural ground blind that I built in about 5 minutes to kill my buck last season on an spot I had never hunted before.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #124
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

In

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #125
jnd1959
Eight Point

Has anyone heard if they're burning this year?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #126
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Has anyone heard if they're burning this year?
They burn every year. They will publish a list of the units they plan to burn. You can check with the district office and request the list.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #127
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
They burn every year. They will publish a list of the units they plan to burn. You can check with the district office and request the list.
Thanks. I'll check as we get closer to October.

Good luck to all harassing dove this morning, allergies kept me up all night but I'm still going. Fortunately the youngest has his license so I can sleep on the way, maybe.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #128
TradHunter
Six Point

How come LBJ does not come up on TPWD public hunting maps like Caddo does?
TradHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #129
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
Caddo is managed by TPWD but owned by the NFS. LBJ is managed by the NFS.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #130
jnd1959
Eight Point

No birds for us this morning. Lots of shooting,just at the other end of the field.

We'll attack again at dawn.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #131
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradHunter View Post
The U. S. Forest Service owns and manages both the Caddo and LBJ N.G. The Caddo N.G. is a WMA. The hunting regulations are managed by TP&W.

LBJ maps are available at the Caddo/LBJ District Office in Decatur.

Here's a map that will be helpful.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/i...bb9e3061056af2
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #132
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Found them flying yesterday. 45 min limit.

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #133
TradHunter
Six Point

Quote:
The U. S. Forest Service owns and manages both the Caddo and LBJ N.G. The Caddo N.G. is a WMA. The hunting regulations are managed by TP&W.

Thanks.
TradHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #134
JollyRover
Nubbin' Buck

I think he was only passing through but nice to have a goal.
Attached Images

JollyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #135
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:

The layers for you prime hunting honey holes failed to show up. Can you please correct or you can just PM me the file.
Thanks in advance

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #136
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Good job BT, what time is the cook?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #137
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
The layers for you prime hunting honey holes failed to show up. Can you please correct or you can just PM me the file.
Thanks in advance

There are no honey holes on LBJ. There are no deer on LBJ. It's one giant Superfund sight. Better stay away or you'll end up glowing in the dark.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #138
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:
There are no honey holes on LBJ. There are no deer on LBJ. It's one giant Superfund sight. Better stay away or you'll end up glowing in the dark.

Youíre right, every time I go all I get is a bad case of chiggers and ticks. Parking areas are full of nails and mosquitoes are the size of small bats.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #139
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I did see one squirrle out there one time. Just one time. About 28 years ago. Or was it 32 years ago? (smh)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #140
jnd1959
Eight Point

I remember that squirrel, he ate those red oak acorns off that one tree and grew an extra head. That was one mean squirrel. I remember we were out there one day testing for radioactive waste and he was barking at us...well, one head was barking at us and the other was chattering at its twin head constantly. We figured he grew an extra female head. No wonder he was in such a bad mood. Wonder whaterver happened to him? Word has it some hunter shot him with two barrels of no. 6. He got mad and bit the guy right there in the nethers. Guy grew an extra... well, it's a G rated forum so let's just say he grew a backup.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:47 PM   #141
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Did it look like this one?

That was the scaryest day of my life when I had to face it down!
And yes, I'm kinda ... uh....gifted now.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-06-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #142
jnd1959
Eight Point

At least now I know I can forgo the three extra jock straps. Glad you memorialized that 'ol boy...er..girl..whaaa?
Old 09-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #143
Boldent2012
Four Point

I'll be out scouting (section off CR2866 and another off CR1111) next Wednesday if anyone is around. I'll stop by and chat with the office in Decatur since I've never hunted on PHL. Hopefully between LBJ and Pat Mayse WMA i'll get something.
Boldent2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #144
basscats24
Nubbin' Buck

I scouted yesterday afternoon and it was hot, spiders were everywhere, and the grass was tall. I'm not sure I would consider it a success, because I didn't find a lot of signs of deer. I covered over 4 miles in two different sections and found very few tracks. I finally set up a camera when I came across an area that had several piles of deer poop. It didn't look fresh, but it was the most I had seen all day, and I actually ended up spooking a bedded doe not far from where I set up the camera. I also came across an abandoned Ameristep pop up blind that I'm sure was inhabited by snakes. I still have some other sections to scout and after covering so much ground and trails that when I come across an active area I will recognize it.
basscats24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #145
jnd1959
Eight Point

I need to get out there and put some cameras back up. I'm waiting for the weather to break first.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #146
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
I need to get out there and put some cameras back up. I'm waiting for the weather to break first.
Waiting for the weather to cool a bit before going out to check mine.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #147
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscats24 View Post
I scouted yesterday afternoon and it was hot, spiders were everywhere, and the grass was tall. I'm not sure I would consider it a success, because I didn't find a lot of signs of deer. I covered over 4 miles in two different sections and found very few tracks. I finally set up a camera when I came across an area that had several piles of deer poop. It didn't look fresh, but it was the most I had seen all day, and I actually ended up spooking a bedded doe not far from where I set up the camera. I also came across an abandoned Ameristep pop up blind that I'm sure was inhabited by snakes. I still have some other sections to scout and after covering so much ground and trails that when I come across an active area I will recognize it.

Did you kill all the spiders??

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #148
basscats24
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Did you kill all the spiders??

Happy to make it out alive!
basscats24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #149
Lumberjack15
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: NC Texas/SE Oklahoma

I went out this past weekend and scouted. More spiders than I have ever seen in one place. I recommend carrying a spider stick lol. Did see quite a bit of deer sign and what looked like a whole bunch of hog sign. Had one deer blow at me on my way out of the first unit I looked at.

Saw some sign of hunters and a few trucks parked at some other units I was going to look at. Had to be dove hunters though. I'm guessing the dove hunting traffic will die down a bit when bow season starts. Anyone that can confirm/deny from past experience?
Lumberjack15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #150
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Yea I haven't run into many dove hunters come deer season. And I also highly recommend the spider stick as. I'm an outdoors guy but absolutely hate spiders, spider webs, bugs and snakes of all kinds.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top