Del rio questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Del rio questions

Hey guys I just got on a lease with a buddy. 600 acres 3 guns it has a little camp house a few ponds and a live creek....ive never hunted out that way so I’m just wondering what to expect as far as deer. How bad are the snakes? Where is the best place to buy protein? Any good restaurants? Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated! I’d love to see some pics of deer too. You can post them here or shoot me a text 281-731-4872 thanks guys!

Del Rio Feed & Supply sells corn and protein. You could also stop at Oasis in Uvalde, Mummes or Lyssy & Echel in Hondo. Not sure about the deer quality, a good buck could be anything from 130's-170's depending on neighbors and management.

Comment

Del Rio feed will meet your feed needs, fair on feed price. Usually eat at camp, so don't know much on the dining but there are a lot of options. Deer quality is hit or miss depending on neighbors and we were hit pretty hard with anthrax this past summer, so numbers are down, on my lease anyway.

Comment

Being on the border the Mexican food is surprisingly bad. Julio's chips factory is the best but it's nothing to write home about. The small pools of water for cattle and wildlife are called "tanks".

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Being on the border the Mexican food is surprisingly bad. Julio's chips factory is the best but it's nothing to write home about. The small pools of water for cattle and wildlife are called "tanks".
          This for sure.

I wore snake boots at all times when I hunted out that way on the advice of lease mates but I never saw a snake. That country has the potential to produce some really nice deer but a lot depends on neighbors since you just have 1 section. In my experience, the hunting didn't get really good until the last two weeks of the season. You may come across exotics and or aoudad out that way. Also as stated above, the area can be anthrax prone so I would ask whether they got hit this year. Good luck. It is neat country for sure.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Acuna for classy after-hours entertainment.
              Last edited by WTN; 01-20-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Did y'all verify that your place wasn't affected by anthrax this year?
                My buddy's lease near Del Rio was decimated by anthrax last summer.

Comment

Yessir we did! It wasn’t hit

Comment

Anyone else with any experience??

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarBoggers View Post
                      Anyone else with any experience??
                      None that I can talk about!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

You just do not know where to go! The original Don Marcelinos as well as Memos. It’s Mexican food and not Tex-mex.

Comment

My buddy leases 16K acres north of Del Rio about 30 minutes and has great hunting. He has managed it and fed it alot but they are seeing some really great deer and killing some really great deer. He also has some Axis on his place. Definitely will depend on your neighbors on 600 acres but it can be done.

Comment

Hunted Del rio years ago...Was great..then ..probably stiil great..Plenty Rattlers/Thorns/Cactus...always Snake boots to protect from them 3

Comment

I go through del rio a lot on the way to my place. Del Rio Feed is a great bet butttttt make sure your trip works with their hours. Once you get out there if they are not open there is not many options for corn at a decent price. HEB across the street is your best bet but its still more expensive.

I stick with ole Whataburger when Im out that way.

The snakes are there. We always find them around feeders and in the shade. IF you have a wood pile they are in there. We place each log about 4 inches apart from each other so its not so much of a pile.

I was reading another thread on here where people were reporting the hogs had moved in that way. Im much further west so I don't see um.... yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X