Fence line etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobc View Post
    I don’t have one, but I am curious, as this is an interesting convo. What about a box blind backed up to 20 yards or so from a high fence without a back window facing that high fence? Thus, facing the body of your property on three sides and avoiding the facing of theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Someone’s bound to be offended— in the name of Texas no less!

Probably, but I'd still do it

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
      I don’t have one, but I am curious, as this is an interesting convo. What about a box blind backed up to 20 yards or so from a high fence without a back window facing that high fence? Thus, facing the body of your property on three sides and avoiding the facing of theirs.

We see this on bordering properties & have zero problems, in fact it's actually appreciated...some neighbors are so brazen they place their tower blinds on a high spot in order to be able to shoot over the fence while there is a perfectly good sendero on their property maybe 2-3 hundred yards away they could have placed it on, at least to give the appearance they are watching their own deer. These are clearly more interested in poaching & viewing greener pastures. So, when you see a neighbor clearly interested in his own hunting & voluntarily shows his/her neighbors there is no window to view, much less be able to fire across property lines vs the thugs who are obviously interested in what's across the fence, it really is something noticed.

We are on 7k acres and likely have close to 50-75 different property owners...you soon realize which ones are the problems. You also have to keep an eye out for tripods stuck back in the tree tops placed about 20-40 yards off the fence line looking down our lanes. It's never ending.

We deal / dealt with each issue individually.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        What systemnt is trying to say is that Gingib is actually the previously banned MHbaseball and many of us haven't forgotten when he got caught poaching with dogs on a neighbors property. I'm just here for clarity.

[emoji23]subtle

Comment

About how far would you say you could hear a 6 volt spinner? Calm conditions and light timber.

Hunted a stand I haven’t hunted since bow season last night. My feeder and stand are both approx. 165 yards from the property line. I don’t know how close my neighbors feeder is but it’s close enough I could hear it last night. It was loud enough there’s no doubt what made that noise.

It’s been a few months since I was over by that fence line. Frustrating if it’s right on the fence though.

Comment

Fence line etiquette

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
            About how far would you say you could hear a 6 volt spinner? Calm conditions and light timber.

Hunted a stand I haven’t hunted since bow season last night. My feeder and stand are both approx. 165 yards from the property line. I don’t know how close my neighbors feeder is but it’s close enough I could hear it last night. It was loud enough there’s no doubt what made that noise.

It’s been a few months since I was over by that fence line. Frustrating if it’s right on the fence though.

I heard another one of ours while hunting on Saturday that’s gotta be 5-600 yards away

Just measured and it’s 568 yards. I was downwind and heard it clear as day though.

Comment

Go unplug it and leave a note. But make sure that you write thanks at the end.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                Go unplug it and leave a note. But make sure that you write thanks at the end.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                First get all frustrated

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

I dont use feeders on my.lease so when I hear one I know it's the neighbors. I typically hear 3 and his place is 125 ac and my 2 favorite stands are at least 150 from the fence

Comment

Id tell him to go **** himself....

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Yeah, that's funny.
                      I know I know.....dang fence hunters are worst than them dang ol poachers and woman hitters
                      Not worse but the ones I've met/know run a close 3rd in the character/ethics categories...

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        This cracks me up. I can't stand a fence line hunter. Caught one trespassing on our side looking for a deer he shot that was facing our property, and immediately jumped the fence. Told him we could either call the game warden right then, or he get his feeder to where we couldn't see it. Took care of that problem lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        I caught one in almost the exact same scenario...
                        I watched the "fenceline hunter" shoot a big buck in our green field.. It was a bad shot with a 22-250.. I watched him cross our fence and start trailing the deer. It happened to be in the middle of the week so I was at the lease by myself. I was not in the box stand that was on the field but I was in a brush blind several hundreds yards away.. The gut shot deer ran towards me and off into the brush. I let this JERK go after the deer and I walked up behind him and busted him red handed.. He lied his azz off about the entire situation..

What he did not know was that I was good friends with the LO who owned the property he came from, had his cell number, and I had my phone.. I made a phone call to his LO in front of him and then called my LO.. We decided to not get the law involved and the poacher was permanently banned from every stepping foot on our neighbors property again..
                        The crazy thing is he was hunting for free as our neighbor did not lease his property.. This idiot, lying, poacher was a local PREACHER..
                        I will never forget the look on his face when I walked up behind him and said "HEY what in the hail are you doing" I think he pizzed his self...Priceless.

Oh the deer was never found...

Comment

Had a lease that had a 60 acre wheat field and a 80 acre field of ours that ran along the side of the neighboring ranch (12K acres). Then across the creek on our side there was another 160 acres of Winter Wheat. Between our fields the on our side , 350 yards across for the adjoining property we had a creek and two ponds with a wooded area between the fields. One pond feed off a Windmill. The fields were often hunted. Eventually the other ranch acquired hunters who did not like the deer coming into the wheat fields and us harvesting these deer. So they high fenced it. This other ranch was all mesquite and cactus with a few scrub oaks and an occasional Live Oak. No crops. No Pasture with 3/4 of a mile.Unfortunately the area long the other ranch also had NO WATER. So the "Deer" on the other ranch no longer had access to water and they no longer had free access to acres and acres of lush winter wheat. In the following years, the "Hunters" on the other ranch all started complaining on the decline in the amount of deer and the decline in the quality of the antlers on their Ranch. Go figure. Sometimes there is a bigger picture.

Comment

To the original question of etiquette - I would not place a feeder or stand on a fence line. I find that to be poor etiquette. That said I would also not demand a neighbor who did so to move their stand or feeder as I also find it poor etiquette to try to control what others do on their property. However, if it was a safety issue that was interfering with my use of the property I'd try to point that out to the other property owner and see if we could come to a solution. Finally, there is virtually no circumstance (fence line hunter or not) that I would tell a hunter who is trying to track a deer that they can't do so on my property. An animal that is shot deserves to be recovered.
                            Last edited by Alta; 12-03-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Not worse but the ones I've met/know run a close 3rd in the character/ethics categories...
                              How far away from a fence does one need to be in order to not be considered a poacher?
                              If being on a fence makes one a poacher surely you have a distance in mind you could share

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                How far away from a fence does one need to be in order to not be considered a poacher?
                                If being on a fence makes one a poacher surely you have a distance in mind you could share
                                Where did I say that hunting a fence line classifies you as a poacher?
                                Please highlight that for me..

Comment

Working...
                                X