Goliad co hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goliad co hunting

Why is the doe season so short north of HWY 59 and why do they want notification when doe is killed? How is the hunting around the Naval Airport? I know there are some exotic ranches near, any free-range populations in that area? When are they rutting best in that area?
    Last edited by coop2564; 09-03-2019, 02:46 PM.

My buddy owns a high fence ranch just north of 59 near Berclair. He is MLD, so he has a different set of rules. I have not seen any exotics outside of his ranch in over 20 years of going down there.

Comment

Does are limited because they believe they are low in numbers. They want you to report them so they know how many are killed. Free range exoctics are very rare except for hogs. This is my first year hunting Goliad county but I've hunted lots of places in Victoria Co. over the last 12 years and only saw exoctics(5 Axis) one time and that was right after Hurricane Harvey.

Comment

When do they rut typically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any morning folks know about the area?

Comment

Rut in GOLIAD county is gonna be around the 2-3 weeks of November

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post

I had a lease in Weesatche. Just about 10 miles west of Goliad. The rut always kicked off during bow season. Never saw an exotic outside of a high fence in that area. Good luck. Thats still one of my favorite leases I've ever had. Love the town and the the brush in that area.

If you go eat a Jalisco's in town make sure you get their home made corn tortillas. They had the best i've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post

Since this is my first season in Goliad, I really can't say for sure. On my South Victoria lease, they started right at the start of bow season. At my other places further Northwest they started at the end of bow season. My best guess is the main rut will be the first or second week of November in Goliad.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Away from the rivers I think the populations are lower.
                    lots of open, sandy quisache areas. But occasionally nice deer

2nd weekend in November for rut. Bucks travel long distances in our area in search of does.
                    Last edited by Big pig; 09-04-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Ex father n law has a place just outside of Berclair that had some really really nice deer. Loads of pigs and turkey. Dove hunting was good and quail were decent. We planned on being in the stand from nov 20-dec5 or so to catch the rut. As far as the doe thing, I am not sure.

Comment

Thanks the place I have to hunt is small 165ac but has lots of cover mesquite, brush and live oak two ponds. Just North of Airport. 3 mi from river.
                        Last edited by coop2564; 09-05-2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Well I had a great first hunt, rut was just starting had very old 8pt come checking the does. So mature I couldn't let him walk. Got 3 hogs too. 135"18" barely had teeth at gum line.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

most random jumping around rambling post ....

Comment

Working...
                              X