Rodeo Cookoff Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodeo Cookoff Team

Does anyone know the in’s and out’s of setting up a rodeo Cookoff team? Like average cost, requirements, etc?

I do not. But I have always heard there was a loooong waiting list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If for Houston, there is a long wait list and very political.

Comment

and prolly too late for 2021 already

Comment

If for Houston the fastest way to get in is to win you local county Go Texan BBQ Cookoff. If you win that you should be eligible for the Houston Cook Off immediately following the Go Texan Cook Off. Our County Fair Cook Off is the one we have to win to get to Houston.

Comment

It depends on size of tent/attendees. You have to provide food (of some capacity) for (3) nights. It’s a ton of work. You’ll have setup on Wednesday and tear down on Sunday. The Houston rodeo is a racket. Each space is $10,000 (you’ll want multiple spaces). You have to buy ice, alcohol, and other items through HLSR (at a markup). If you’re going to go the “big rodeo” route, you’ll need sponsors, deep pockets, and a lot of help.

I was a part of team for 9 years for HLSR...I’d rather attend than cook, and I love to BBQ!

Comment

Needs sponsors and lots of money to get into the big cook offs. Just spent all of the past wkend at the SA rodeo cookoff. Not one team there didn’t have a bigtime sponsor or super fancy equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation45 View Post
                It depends on size of tent/attendees. You have to provide food (of some capacity) for (3) nights. It’s a ton of work. You’ll have setup on Wednesday and tear down on Sunday. The Houston rodeo is a racket. Each space is $10,000 (you’ll want multiple spaces). You have to buy ice, alcohol, and other items through HLSR (at a markup). If you’re going to go the “big rodeo” route, you’ll need sponsors, deep pockets, and a lot of help.

I was a part of team for 9 years for HLSR...I’d rather attend than cook, and I love to BBQ!
                My father-in-law was on a team for over a decade as well, they won it out right a couple of times. Even with the sponsors that winning it brought they finally had to back out. It's a game for big corporate teams that are using advertising dollars and HLSR have it priced that way because those teams can afford it. Drove out the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                  Needs sponsors and lots of money to get into the big cook offs. Just spent all of the past wkend at the SA rodeo cookoff. Not one team there didn’t have a bigtime sponsor or super fancy equipment.
                  Agree with you to a point. I know my parents cooked in it and dont have a big time sponsor or fancy equipment. They got 3rd ribs.

It is very expensive and becoming very political. Last time I attended SA Cookoff, the team I was on won (again no big sponsor or fancy equipment). We were sandwiched between 2 big time teams with our little pit and what not. Got to houston and it was a joke. People laughed at us, rightfully so though.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                    Agree with you to a point. I know my parents cooked in it and dont have a big time sponsor or fancy equipment. They got 3rd ribs.

It is very expensive and becoming very political. Last time I attended SA Cookoff, the team I was on won (again no big sponsor or fancy equipment). We were sandwiched between 2 big time teams with our little pit and what not. Got to houston and it was a joke. People laughed at us, rightfully so though.
                    Yea I did see some smaller rigs and lots of stand alone pits or Pellet grilles mixed in with them fancy set ups. Not every one had those 100k set ups. Them guys can’t cook but they look good trying ya know

Political is right. Had a discussion about some charcoal/wood companies the other day. Less used companies are “buying” the rights to the awards ceremony and pretty much forcing the contestants to have their product in their pictures. Doesn’t matter if that contestant uses them or not so it seems that all the winners use the highest bidders product.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                      Yea I did see some smaller rigs and lots of stand alone pits or Pellet grilles mixed in with them fancy set ups. Not every one had those 100k set ups. Them guys can’t cook but they look good trying ya know

Political is right. Had a discussion about some charcoal/wood companies the other day. Less used companies are “buying” the rights to the awards ceremony and pretty much forcing the contestants to have their product in their pictures. Doesn’t matter if that contestant uses them or not so it seems that all the winners use the highest bidders product.

You are right on that. Shoot the year we won we were next to waste management and their million dollar set up! It was crazy how much meat they were putting out but boy they didn’t win squat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated already your best best is to go the gotexan county route unless you have some serious financial backing. Even then I'm sure it would take years to get in! Not all counties have a cook-off or go Texan committee so that may be a no go where you live. It's ALOT of work even at the go Texan level, but we sure look forward to it every year. We placed 2nd in chicken 2 years ago and it was cooked on a $90 HEB barrel pit!

Comment

Working...
                        X