2nd career options - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd career options - advice

I’m trying to figure out what I want to do for my second life after I retire from the city and move to our farm. My daughter is a jr in hs now and my son will be starting jr high next year which means I can also retire from my coaching duties after football season next fall. This is going to clear some time to go back to school and I’m nit sure what I want to do. If I can get 8 more years in my current job I will have logged 30 years in the same industry which is more than enough for me, my son will be graduating hs and my wife will have over 30 yrs teaching and qualify for early retirement.
    My goal is to leave the city and try to find work to support me and my wife from the country. I just don’t know what the best avenue is. I’m thinking electrical or hvac, maybe plumbing. I’m just concerned with the apprenticeship hours I’ll need. There is money to be made in any of these trades where we will live. Our place is off richland chambers reservoir so lots of upscale wknd homes in the lake that always need something.
    I’d like some advice from all you tradesmen out there on what you would do if you were me and it doesn’t have to be one of the trades I listed. What if really like to do is buy some heavy equipment and move dirt or other projects but I’m just very Leary about sinking that much capital after leaving my primary career.

Love to hear some thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only help I can give you is to advise you ANYTHING BUT OIL PATCH RELATED WORK!!
    Of the ones you listed, I'd pick electrical... Plumbing and HVAC can be mighty tough working conditions outside, wet, inside attics, hot... all the above... Electrical can be that too, but most often not nasty...

Comment

You live in the hub for craft training. San Jac and the craft training facility right off the beltway are both near you.

Comment

Man, if I were you, I would look for a maintenance position at a Data Center, School, College, University, or Hospital or Medical Facility. I was an electrician for most of my life, got into HVAC Controls and then Building Automation. Covid shut the doors on the Building Automation dept at the last company I worked for and now am working in the Engineering dept for a hospital. I can honestly say that for the first time in my life I love my job, and I love where I work. I am 7 minutes from the house, and can set my own hours.

Getting into those trades this late in life can be a beating. As a green apprentice youll get stuck with all the schitt work. Unless you dont really care and just want to be there for a paycheck, then I suggest electrical trade. But then if you want to go where the money is, look into high voltage electricians, like lineman work. Or on the other end of the spectrum get into fiber optic work, or other low voltage work. There's my .02

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Finding reliable contractors around Richland Chambers is not easy. My in-laws have a lake house there and the number of no-shows is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            You live in the hub for craft training. San Jac and the craft training facility right off the beltway are both near you.

Yep that’s my plan just gotta figure out what direction

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
              Man, if I were you, I would look for a maintenance position at a Data Center, School, College, University, or Hospital or Medical Facility. I was an electrician for most of my life, got into HVAC Controls and then Building Automation. Covid shut the doors on the Building Automation dept at the last company I worked for and now am working in the Engineering dept for a hospital. I can honestly say that for the first time in my life I love my job, and I love where I work. I am 7 minutes from the house, and can set my own hours.

Getting into those trades this late in life can be a beating. As a green apprentice youll get stuck with all the schitt work. Unless you dont really care and just want to be there for a paycheck, then I suggest electrical trade. But then if you want to go where the money is, look into high voltage electricians, like lineman work. Or on the other end of the spectrum get into fiber optic work, or other low voltage work. There's my .02

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I’m looking for, folks with practical experience and knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                Finding reliable contractors around Richland Chambers is not easy. My in-laws have a lake house there and the number of no-shows is amazing.

Man you aren’t kidding. I have a couple guys I use that are great. Unfortunately we lost one that did everything, dirt, septic, electric etc in a car accident last year. My brother in law has a lake house down the road from our place and the contractors he has ended up with for certain projects have been absolutely horrible. 6 months to build a back patio!

Comment

Fiber optic will be big for 10 years and then something will replace it.............

Comment

If you're handy, be a Handyman. They are very hard to find and a lot of people need small stuff done.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                      If you're handy, be a Handyman. They are very hard to find and a lot of people need small stuff done.

That’s also what I’m thinking
                      Crazy what I see the folks paying to do at the lake houses
                      Like change light bulbs!

Comment

To add to above- you could start a property management company, help people who rent out their houses & / or those who don’t - make sure all their stuff works & is kept up from light general handy man type stuff to lawn care / sprinkler systems / dock work / issues , boat/ jet ski care - make sure they are clean & work when the owners get there. People with $$$ will pay for stuff like that, they work hard & the last thing they want on their weekend at their get away is to be dealing with dead batteries / / boats that don’t work. Some ideas to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get your real estate license and sell farm and ranch land.

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
                            To add to above- you could start a property management company, help people who rent out their houses & / or those who don’t - make sure all their stuff works & is kept up from light general handy man type stuff to lawn care / sprinkler systems / dock work / issues , boat/ jet ski care - make sure they are clean & work when the owners get there. People with $$$ will pay for stuff like that, they work hard & the last thing they want on their weekend at their get away is to be dealing with dead batteries / / boats that don’t work. Some ideas to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This.

We have a vacation house. When we go there we want to vacation. Not do home maintenance.

Comment

I guess it depends what skillset you have. My first career left me with skills to succeed in the second. But having friends in related fields who feed you work helps when starting out.
                              Whatever you do be good at it. Be honest and reliable in it. Word of mouth will build your business if you do those things.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X