Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.
Default 2023 Gardening Thread

As per requests the new 2023 gardening thread is started.
Post up your pictures and tips and get that wholesome food going.

Iíve been lazy with all of the cold weather up here so I havenít gotten my tail in gear yet. I gathered up tubs and bags for taters and drilled holes in the tubs yesterday. Iíll start preparing my raised beds this week and bring in some dirt for the tater tubs.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

My onions are doing great. Got a couple head of cabbage thats ready to be picked as well a plenty of mustard greens.

Going to start some tomatoes indoors this weekend with inspiration from Saltwater Slicks ...slick setup.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

I got onions in the ground Friday. Started some tomato seeds Saturday in a new seed starter box I got off amazon. This will be my first time growing tomatoes from seed, so I am excited to see how it turns out.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 11:07 AM   #4
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Planted Tomatoes this past weekend in a raised bed of vegetable soil and mushroom compost tilled in. Going to plant more in a couple weeks to get a good, consistent production through most of the summer.

I have some 45-gallon containers that held trees that will be used for some squash, cubes and eggplant. May have to try some taters too.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #5
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Planted seeds 8 days ago and Bam! Some are already 3" plants.

Last year my soil was too hot as it was 70% cow poop, 10% chicken poop, 20% dirt LOL But now it appears to be good.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well gang, we are off to a wet start. That rain we got about 2 weeks back sure set us back with our in-ground plots.

Name:  69628562753__1154D967-C3AB-4DEF-BA83-C8F8604A0C60.JPG
Views: 2271
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  69628666106__50620AEE-4215-4260-AEB0-0A5A3D09B91B.JPG
Views: 2261
Size:  123.2 KB

We started seeds about 4 weeks back, we started seeds for early season veggies such as lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and a few beets.
Doing it a bit different this year. I put up a small greenhouse (and that was my first mistake!! -- SMALL!!) instead of starting plants in a grow room under lights, we are going to try to do them in the greenhouse... first stab at it has been pretty good. I have a small heater in it so was able to protect the small plants from freezing over the last few weeks.
Name:  IMG_3139.JPG
Views: 2257
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3140.JPG
Views: 2239
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3144.JPG
Views: 2242
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3430.JPG
Views: 2224
Size:  115.9 KB
Yesterday we put our first bags out in the bag garden. We have various varieties of cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, and broccoli. Beets will go out next week.
Name:  IMG_3555.JPG
Views: 2230
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3558.JPG
Views: 2202
Size:  133.0 KB

Our blackberries are beginning to come out of dormancy with new growth... It is an exciting time of year for gardening! Let's git-er-dun!
Name:  IMG_3559.JPG
Views: 2213
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3560.JPG
Views: 2227
Size:  148.8 KB

Tomorrow, we will start our maters, peppers, egg plants, okra and a few other things in trays over the next several days. Gonna put 'em on heated grow mats in the greenhouse and put 'em in overdrive.

I will do my best to keep the thread updated as we progress...

One thing I am pondering now is a solution to my "crow" problem with my corn... They totally ruined the plot for us last season. My wife would sit next to the plot inside a Krivoman blind with my 20 ga. Benelli. I had cell cameras out, tried all kinds of things... They landed on my scarecrow...

Anyone been able to solve this problem where you live? I am contemplating netting the whole plot when I plant and removing the netting after the corn gets up big enough to need hilling and thinning. The crows won't mess with it after it gets big enough there is no kernel on the little seedlings for them to pluck out of the ground...

Good luck everyone this year!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

I think I got a little ambitious and started a tray of seeds (mostly tomatoes and peppers,)on Jan 21. I followed up with a couple of more trays (basil, rosemary, dill, cilantro, chard, kale, spinach) several days later, followed by another planting of new tomato and chile varieties I ordered from Baker Creek about a week later.

Iíve gotten really good germination, but Iím starting to get behind on up-potting them. Theyíve been under grow lights during the cold snaps, but I moved them outside this morning to soak up a little natural sunlight.

Im trying to decide how many of the starts I should up-pot or plant, and how many I should cull.

I got off to a pretty good start last spring, but we were bringing them in and out depending on weather, and they all got left outside while I was out of town with a late frost and we lost most of them. I replanted but never really recovered.

Weíre still not very good gardeners, but weíre trying to learn as we grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Where'd you get that greenhouse Slick? I need one about like that.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Where'd you get that greenhouse Slick? I need one about like that.

Don't judge me Tim, but.... I actually bought it at Harbor Freight back in 2015 when we bought the farm... This past November, my wife said, "You know what I'd really like for my birthday is to get my greenhouse put together!!" Yes! It's been in the barn since the day I brought it home!!
It's actually a pretty nice little kit. Instructions were a bit hard to understand what bein' Chinee translated into poor English and all, but we got it all put together...

Pro Tip: IF you choose to buy a greenhouse kit (any kit of any size) before you even attempt to start assembly FIRST make sure the spot you plan to put it up is FLAT AND LEVEL!! If you get it flat and level, lay out the bottom frame, it all goes together pretty nicely because everything is die cut and very precise... If not and your plot is not level, you'll be fighting all the thousands (seems like) of pieces to fit together correctly.
This one is only 6' X 8' and I can only stand up straight right in the middle, but all in all, it's a pretty nice little set up.
Before next Spring, I WILL have a bigger (and taller) greenhouse!
Old 02-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #10
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

We're planning to expand this year. I got out week before last week and started dirt work to level things out a bit. Only cut muddy ruts with the tractor tires. Got more rain last week, more predicted for the next two days and some next week. May have to plant rice this year.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 01:25 PM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
We're planning to expand this year. I got out week before last week and started dirt work to level things out a bit. Only cut muddy ruts with the tractor tires. Got more rain last week, more predicted for the next two days and some next week. May have to plant rice this year.

Crawfish farm came to mind for us a couple years ago... This year is starting much the same way... 2 years ago, I actually had water pumps pumping water OUT of my garden spots!! Most fun I had all year was walking around the garden at night with a flashlight shooting crawfish with my bb gun!
Old 02-13-2023, 01:33 PM   #12
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Looks like I am behind again this year. My plan for this year was to start my garden from seeds to try to beat the early heat. I was hoping to have established plants prior to the serious Texas heat.

Question for those of you that started your seedlings, do you need to keep them at a certain temp for germination to occur?? I am planning to start seeds in the garage but held back because I figured with these recent cold snaps I would not be successful.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

I'm behind, haven't even decided what to plant this year. With 2 and 5yo girls the request is to have butterflies and bees in the yard. Thinking some tomatoes and peppers, would love to get some corn going but not sure I have enough space to make it worth it in the small raised bed we have. Working with a 4'x8' area
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #14
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

I'm planning on moving my garden this year. I have some asparagus that is well established, can I transplant them? How much of a root system do they have?
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #15
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Don't judge me Tim, but.... I actually bought it at Harbor Freight back in 2015 when we bought the farm... This past November, my wife said, "You know what I'd really like for my birthday is to get my greenhouse put together!!" Yes! It's been in the barn since the day I brought it home!!
It's actually a pretty nice little kit. Instructions were a bit hard to understand what bein' Chinee translated into poor English and all, but we got it all put together...

Pro Tip: IF you choose to buy a greenhouse kit (any kit of any size) before you even attempt to start assembly FIRST make sure the spot you plan to put it up is FLAT AND LEVEL!! If you get it flat and level, lay out the bottom frame, it all goes together pretty nicely because everything is die cut and very precise... If not and your plot is not level, you'll be fighting all the thousands (seems like) of pieces to fit together correctly.
This one is only 6' X 8' and I can only stand up straight right in the middle, but all in all, it's a pretty nice little set up.
Before next Spring, I WILL have a bigger (and taller) greenhouse!
Where are you looking for a bigger one? I'd like one a little bigger than 6'x8' but not much bigger. Just no idea where to even look to buy.

What I really need is one that goes against my house somehow so the one side is house wall. I though about trying to build it myself but I'd have it all jacked up or go overboard LOL
Old 02-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #16
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my Sasquatch Suit

Running behind this year !
Hoping to get going real soon.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #17
BertramBass
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Looks like I am behind again this year. My plan for this year was to start my garden from seeds to try to beat the early heat. I was hoping to have established plants prior to the serious Texas heat.

Question for those of you that started your seedlings, do you need to keep them at a certain temp for germination to occur?? I am planning to start seeds in the garage but held back because I figured with these recent cold snaps I would not be successful.
I start my seeds in front of a kitchen window that faces south-west for afternoon sun. Fold a paper towel in half, put the seeds in the crease, put on a plate and keep them wet. Transplant into solo cups with potting soil once you see roots growing. Don't plant them too deep.
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #18
BertramBass
Eight Point

Quote:
Where are you looking for a bigger one? I'd like one a little bigger than 6'x8' but not much bigger. Just no idea where to even look to buy.

What I really need is one that goes against my house somehow so the one side is house wall. I though about trying to build it myself but I'd have it all jacked up or go overboard LOL
I see some for sell on the side of the road at places that sell those carports. They don't look too bad but I have not stopped and looked up close.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:33 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

There are a bunch on Amazon and even some "lean-to" style that might be what you're looking for.

HF also has a larger one. My brother has it and it's a pretty nice kit.
Now that we have moved most of the grow bags we had in ours, there is a little more room inside it, but dang I hate constantly bumping my head on the wet ceiling panels...
Old 02-13-2023, 07:50 PM   #20
eradicator
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
I'm planning on moving my garden this year. I have some asparagus that is well established, can I transplant them? How much of a root system do they have?
You can transplant the asparagus. Now is a good time. The roots run to China
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 07:53 PM   #21
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:

I start some in the house every year so the temp is constant and upper 60's. My brother starts the bulk of ours in a greenhouse. Peppers like it warmer(above 80). They will still germinate with temps below that but it takes a little longer.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:58 PM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
As per requests the new 2023 gardening thread is started.
Post up your pictures and tips and get that wholesome food going.

Iíve been lazy with all of the cold weather up here so I havenít gotten my tail in gear yet. I gathered up tubs and bags for taters and drilled holes in the tubs yesterday. Iíll start preparing my raised beds this week and bring in some dirt for the tater tubs.
Would you mind posting a pic of your tubs that you plant potatoes in ? Iím trying to figure out how you get potatoes out and it ainít coming through. Thanks !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #23
Slabby
Six Point

Quote:
Well gang, we are off to a wet start. That rain we got about 2 weeks back sure set us back with our in-ground plots.

Attachment 1119603

Attachment 1119604

We started seeds about 4 weeks back, we started seeds for early season veggies such as lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and a few beets.
Doing it a bit different this year. I put up a small greenhouse (and that was my first mistake!! -- SMALL!!) instead of starting plants in a grow room under lights, we are going to try to do them in the greenhouse... first stab at it has been pretty good. I have a small heater in it so was able to protect the small plants from freezing over the last few weeks.
Attachment 1119605

Attachment 1119606

Attachment 1119607

Attachment 1119608
Yesterday we put our first bags out in the bag garden. We have various varieties of cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, and broccoli. Beets will go out next week.
Attachment 1119609

Attachment 1119610

Our blackberries are beginning to come out of dormancy with new growth... It is an exciting time of year for gardening! Let's git-er-dun!
Attachment 1119611

Attachment 1119612

Tomorrow, we will start our maters, peppers, egg plants, okra and a few other things in trays over the next several days. Gonna put 'em on heated grow mats in the greenhouse and put 'em in overdrive.

I will do my best to keep the thread updated as we progress...

One thing I am pondering now is a solution to my "crow" problem with my corn... They totally ruined the plot for us last season. My wife would sit next to the plot inside a Krivoman blind with my 20 ga. Benelli. I had cell cameras out, tried all kinds of things... They landed on my scarecrow...

Anyone been able to solve this problem where you live? I am contemplating netting the whole plot when I plant and removing the netting after the corn gets up big enough to need hilling and thinning. The crows won't mess with it after it gets big enough there is no kernel on the little seedlings for them to pluck out of the ground...

Good luck everyone this year!
Have the same greenhouse. I'm sure you already figured this out, but be very careful making sure to open that thing up early in the morn. Even in cool Temps, it can cook off to over 120 degrees in no time if left closed. Even when open, it can get hot quick
Slabby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 08:29 PM   #24
doublearrow
Ten Point

We have 700 tomato plants and around 500 pepper plants started in the grow room now. Tomatoes started 1/15. Pepper plants just about 10 days ago.
doublearrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 08:43 PM   #25
BertramBass
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
we have 700 tomato plants and around 500 pepper plants started in the grow room now. Tomatoes started 1/15. Pepper plants just about 10 days ago.
wow!
Old 02-13-2023, 09:00 PM   #26
Box-R
Six Point

Already harvesting the leaf lettuce and a few leaves of spinach.
Artichokes have sprouted.
Next weekend planting the tomato seeds and pepper seeds...
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #27
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
wow!
We will sell majority of the plants at farmers market but we do plant alot.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:19 PM   #28
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Would you mind posting a pic of your tubs that you plant potatoes in ? Iím trying to figure out how you get potatoes out and it ainít coming through. Thanks !

Donít mind at all sir.
Theyíre just empty mineral tubs that we put out for livestock. We generally use them for watering when the minerals are gone but Iíve got six whoís bottoms have cracked so I drilled holes in them and decided to try them out for potatoís. I wanted to use Charlieís idea of using grow bags from last year but got to noticing all these empty tubs that were stacking up and
thought Iíd try them instead. When it comes time to harvest Iíll just dump them out onto a tarp, pick out the taters and just dump the dirt back in the tub from the tarp.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:28 AM   #29
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
I start my seeds in front of a kitchen window that faces south-west for afternoon sun. Fold a paper towel in half, put the seeds in the crease, put on a plate and keep them wet. Transplant into solo cups with potting soil once you see roots growing. Don't plant them too deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I start some in the house every year so the temp is constant and upper 60's. My brother starts the bulk of ours in a greenhouse. Peppers like it warmer(above 80). They will still germinate with temps below that but it takes a little longer.
Thanks for the info fellas! Will be trying to get some seeds soon. Will hopefully report on my success soon.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2023, 07:36 AM   #30
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for the info fellas! Will be trying to get some seeds soon. Will hopefully report on my success soon.
I also use a south facing window and a grow light initially.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #31
doublearrow
Ten Point

Pictures of the grow room and the kitchen table as I was getting seeds started in a warmer environment
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2023, 08:40 AM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I also use a south facing window and a grow light initially.

Be careful with using just window light when growing indoors. Light from room lighting is important too. or you must turn your plants regularly. The problem that occurs is the seedlings will get "leggy" growing toward the light if they are not evenly lit.

When using grow lights (we use 6500K LED lights), the lights are placed just above the seed trays, not toughing but very close. As the seeds germinate and sprout, the lights are raised at the same rate of growth so that the light is just above the tops of the seedlings. Also, and especially for evening shades (maters, peppers, egg plants, okra, etc.) if you have a small fan that can blow over them as they grow, it will encourage healthier more robust stems and tough 'em up. Don't need a wind as such just enough air movement to shake the small plants.

We hope to plant tomatoes and peppers today or at least that is our goal...
Old 02-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #33
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Be careful with using just window light when growing indoors. Light from room lighting is important too. or you must turn your plants regularly. The problem that occurs is the seedlings will get "leggy" growing toward the light if they are not evenly lit.

When using grow lights (we use 6500K LED lights), the lights are placed just above the seed trays, not toughing but very close. As the seeds germinate and sprout, the lights are raised at the same rate of growth so that the light is just above the tops of the seedlings. Also, and especially for evening shades (maters, peppers, egg plants, okra, etc.) if you have a small fan that can blow over them as they grow, it will encourage healthier more robust stems and tough 'em up. Don't need a wind as such just enough air movement to shake the small plants.

We hope to plant tomatoes and peppers today or at least that is our goal...
For sure. I only do a handful of starts as most are in my brothers greenhouse. Mine are basically for backup and maybe a couple of items he doesn't have room for. They are under growlight mostly with a few in windowsill. I start to harden off earlier than most to keep them strong and growing properly so they don't get too leggy.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:27 AM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
Donít mind at all sir.
Theyíre just empty mineral tubs that we put out for livestock. We generally use them for watering when the minerals are gone but Iíve got six whoís bottoms have cracked so I drilled holes in them and decided to try them out for potatoís. I wanted to use Charlieís idea of using grow bags from last year but got to noticing all these empty tubs that were stacking up and
thought Iíd try them instead. When it comes time to harvest Iíll just dump them out onto a tarp, pick out the taters and just dump the dirt back in the tub from the tarp.

Hey Geoff, if you have a lot of those mineral tubs, those things make the very best wicking tub planters that money can buy!! That's what my bride and I now use for all perennial plants such as blackberries and even have a lemon tree planted in one...

This is the "Reader's Digest" (Burnadel is old enough to remember what this means) version of how to make 'em. But there's a plethora of good videos on YouTube where you can see how it's done.

You will need a mineral tub
5 feet of 3" perforated corrugated line

either some landscaping material or the tubular cover for the 3" drain line
the tube cover is best.
about 4-6" of small diameter pipe or tube (I used 1/2" cpvc)
about 2 feet of 1" PVC or similar

couple zip ties

Name:  IMG_2377.JPG
Views: 1853
Size:  136.8 KB

Begin if you're using the cloth covering over the 3" perforated line by pulling the covering over the whole length of 5 feet of pipe and zip tie one end.

Name:  IMG_2379.JPG
Views: 1832
Size:  166.6 KB

On the other end, put the small pipe/tube in the gathered material and zip tie it so that it is in the covering and inside the pipe.

Name:  IMG_2378.JPG
Views: 1811
Size:  119.3 KB

Using a drill that is the right size so that the pipe/tube just barely fits thru it, drill a hole about 2-2 1/2" up from the inside of the bottom of the tub.

From the inside of the tub, stick the small pipe/tube through the hole you just drilled and then wind the 5 feet of drain line now covered with the cloth around the tub and press it down into the bottom.

Name:  IMG_2380.JPG
Views: 1797
Size:  151.9 KB

Once the line is in place in the bottom, begin to fill it with your garden soil mix and cover the 3" pipe. I use 2 parts mushroom compost, 2 parts peat moss, and 2 part perlite. Pack the mix around the pipe well making sure you get it all down in the open section in the middle of the tub. That is where the soil will "wick" moisture up and feed the plants from.

Once that is done, cut a piece of 1" or similar PVC pipe that extends from the bottom of the tub up beyond the top lip of the tub. This is your fill pipe and where you will do all your watering... I put my stand pipe on the opposite side from where the hole is drilled in the side of the tub.

Name:  IMG_2381.JPG
Views: 1792
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2382.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  79.0 KB

Fill the tub the rest of the way up and press it down a bit. I fill up to about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the lip of the tub.

Name:  IMG_2383.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  226.8 KB

You are now ready to plant. Initially, I plant then water in the whole tub very well so that the soil is good and wet, but not soggy wet.

Name:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  228.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2386.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  270.5 KB

After you plant, fill the reservoir you have created in the tub with the 3" line by running water down the stand pipe until it runs out the small pipe/tube in the side of the tub. For smallish plants, you may need to water from the top for a week or two periodically, but once the plants get going, you will not have to surface water at all. For our berry plants, during the prime growing/producing season, we water about every 10 days to 2 weeks. Everything we've tried to grow in these wicking tubs has thrived very well! We also fertilize through the stand pipe by injecting soluble fertilizer through the stand pipe.

There are some really good YouTube videos that explain the principle of air pruning and such and why this form of growing works so well. The wicking tubs can be made out of just about anything. Lots of 5 gallon buckets are used along with beer cans as the reservoir... Molasses tubs and 2 liter drink bottles with holes drilled in them are also very good as are 1 gallon milk jugs...

Good luck with all of this y'all! It's been a fun learning experience for my wife and me. Where we live, often times in the Spring it is too wed to plow an in-ground garden because of Spring rains... This and grow bags have both proven to be very viable alternatives to in-ground gardening...
A side benefit to wicking tubs and grow bags... practically ZERO weeds!!
Old 02-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #35
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Never heard of those Charlie. Gonna be watching some utube videos tonight. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:20 PM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

This is a link to the guy's site that started all the wicking tub craze...

He has LOTS of videos about them and many ways to put them together.

http://www.youtube.com/@gardeningwithleon2816

This is one from TP2 (Texas Prepper 2). I like this hybrid version and it is described above. Old TP2 is hard to listen to and watch sometimes because he's so wordy, but that sucker knows more about planting/growing/propagating and harvesting blackberries than anyone I ever knew... He has a very good video on comparing wicking tubs, grow bags, and earth boxes that is worth a watch too...

Don't know why the first one did not embed... ??

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 02-15-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:23 PM   #37
MooseontheLoose
Ten Point

Glad to see the 2023 thread up and going.

Been busy knocked out projects on my end and still have several more to do. Just finished framing up another raised bed last night. Cut some tree limbs out of the way too to give it a bit more sun throughout the day. Iíll get dirt in it next week and itíll be ready to roll.

I kept about a dozen pepper plants going through the winter. Most really slowed down but a coolapeno and a petin have been producing almost the whole time. Iíve got cabbage and brussels sprouts in the ground right now, but I planted them pretty late so weíll see how they do.

I need to get a couple of tubs prepped. Going to give those a go with some plants this year. Thatís next on my list.

I planted my peppers on Sunday. Picked up a number of new (to me) varieties this year, so Iím ready for those plants to start growing. They're on the heating pads under the grow light now.

Anyone have recommendations for a good determinate tomato to plant? Iíve got a couple indeterminates in the seed pile but wanted to try something new this year too.
Attached Images

MooseontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #38
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well, we got 4 more trays with 162 slots each planted this morning... peppers, maters, egg plants, okrey, and some spinach... The spinach was just a filler for a couple rows in one of the trays that my wife didn't have more evening shades to fill up with...

Name:  IMG_3567.JPG
Views: 1684
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3569.JPG
Views: 1677
Size:  93.8 KB

A trick we learned last year to save some time is once the seeds are planted and watered in good, we wrapped the trays with cellophane stretch wrap and put them on a heating mat. This does 2 things. With the trays wrapped, they stay moist and no need to repeated watering/spritzing until they sprout. Secondly, with the addition of the heat mats, peppers n maters like warm soil to germinate (85 or higher degrees)... This we found cut the germination and sprouting time by at least 50%. Once the seeds have a good sprout going, we remove the stretch wrap and proceed normally. However this year, we will immediately move them to the greenhouse and natural light to avoid most of the hardening off process we failed to do properly last year... We are hoping for stronger healthier plants that can take the sun quicker...

Name:  IMG_3574.JPG
Views: 1676
Size:  105.5 KB

My crazy blackberries think it's Springtime already!! They've come out or dormancy and are now blooming all in one week!! If you look closely, you can see dried blackberries still on the plants that grew after we pruned them back last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas!! I've never seen berries do this before!!

Name:  IMG_3571.JPG
Views: 1680
Size:  219.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3572.JPG
Views: 1651
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 02-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #39
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

What’s best to fill raised beds with?
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #40
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Depends on what and how you intend to plant...
I generally put started plants in the ground whether raised beds or in-ground garden (except for things like peas, beans, corn and such). In a raised bed putting in started plants, I use 2 parts compost (I use mushroom compost), 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part perlite... I use no dirt in raised beds unless I'm just trying to fill in a deep bed where I don't want to waste the above mixture of products. For in-ground planting in a raised you can mix good topsoil and a good vegetable garden mix or even topsoil and bank sand... Lots of options there.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:36 PM   #41
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I generally put started plants in the ground whether raised beds or in-ground garden (except for things like peas, beans, corn and such). In a raised bed putting in started plants, I use 2 parts compost (I use mushroom compost), 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part perlite... I use no dirt in raised beds unless I'm just trying to fill in a deep bed where I don't want to waste the above mixture of products. For in-ground planting in a raised you can mix good topsoil and a good vegetable garden mix or even topsoil and bank sand... Lots of options there.
I mix topsoil and compost. Peat moss is good, but a little bit goes a long ways. Its HOTTTT. I typically use peat to top dress my yard since it's straight sand in my area.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:29 PM   #42
huntandfishguy6
Ten Point

I was waiting for someone to start a 2023 thread. My question is last year i learned about vine borers on squash plants. That lesson was learned to late, and i lost all my plants. So can i plant squash this year in the same raised bed ?
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #43
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
I was waiting for someone to start a 2023 thread. My question is last year i learned about vine borers on squash plants. That lesson was learned to late, and i lost all my plants. So can i plant squash this year in the same raised bed ?
You're not really supposed to. The vine borers have become really bad in our area. Almost to the point it's not worth planting squash. I started planting in fall garden recently which seems to help alleviate it to an extent
Old 02-19-2023, 01:37 PM   #44
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Got potatoes and onions in today. Getting them watered in now. Hope they both do better than last year. Also planted a couple of strawberries.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #45
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Anyone have great and east ideas to keep weeds at bay. Lol I grow some mean weeds. Did pile on a bunch of leaves from my live oaks a couple years ago that took a while for the weeds to come through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #46
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hare, Texas

Life was too busy what with working, hunting, and traveling lately to get any seeds started this year. I'll be buying tomatoes and peppers I'm afraid. I'll get all the spring veggies in the ground around March 15th.
The only thing growing right now are brussel sprouts. They look great.
I worked the beds today, tore down the dead vines on the trellis, planted red and 1015 yellow onions, and red and yellow potatoes.
When I cleaned out the dead asparagus fronds, I found a few peaking out of the soil already.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2023, 05:12 PM   #47
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Got quite a bit tilled last night and today. Planted white and yellow onions this afternoon. Probably plant potatoes before the rain is supposed to hit Wednesday. Hopefully finish tilling before then also.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2023, 02:52 PM   #48
PhotonSlinger
Eight Point

What kind of green beans does everybody like to plant?
PhotonSlinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #49
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Gracias
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2023, 04:50 PM   #50
Joe H
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
What kind of green beans does everybody like to plant?
I like contenders

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top