$15 minimum wage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$15 minimum wage

Biden announced he is going to push the $15 minimum wage... i'm no economic major , but here are my thoughts, so please tell me i'm wrong...

you now flip a $8 burger combo for $7.25 /hr... tomorrow the same job pays double ... would it not make sense that the $8 combo will soon become a $16 combo ? so now it costs double to get what you used to get ? you don't really think the company can survive without raising prices right ?

this also means that your $10k in savings is now only buying half what it used to....

but it doesn't stop there ... america sells a pound of sand for $1 , china does it for $1.20 ... Germany buys mostly america sand as it's cheaper.
    here comes $15 minimum wage ... america's sand now costs $2 ... china's didn't change, so everyone now buys china sand ... looks like America's now screwed ...

China has devalued their currency for years to make it more appealing to buy their products ...

Looks to me like Biden is dangling a carrot in front of the american minimum wage people making them think it's going to help them while screwing the entire country, your savings and pretty much boosting china and every other competitive countries...

please tell me i'm wrong!

This will destroy small businesses worse than the Fake Covid ever did. You will have to cut your work force in half which means altered hours to be able to cover the morning and evening shifts. Customers will then have to wait for that precious soy latte. They won't, they will go down the road to the bigger stores. RIP Mom and Pop businesses......Of course you can bet the big box stores are 100% behind this. They will double their profits in the first year. Money controls everything, not man or woman. Always has and always will. Stop thinking Rep vs Dem and start thinking about how to protect your dollar.

Comment

And the workers that have been loyal for ten years that now make $9 an hour, are they gonna get an appropriate percentage pay raise above the minimum?

Comment

No you're not wrong but unfortunately the cost of living is so inflated a person cannot live on minimum wage. We've gone from being a manufacturer based economy to a service based one.
        Already most burger flippers can't get more than 20 to 30 hours a week out of a job so having a decent vehicle, place to live and healthcare is challenging at best.
        If it were just kids living at home while going to school it might be different. However many older folks work low paying jobs due to other mitigating factors such as intelligence level, criminal history, drug use etc.
        The American Health Care Act and it's side swipes really negatively impacted small businesses in many ways. Forcing them to treat anyone working more than 30 hours as full time employees and having to extend them benefits is costly to businesses already on a tight budget.
        For most Subway, Chicken Express, etc there is a fine line between making and losing money and staffing is a big cost in business.
        Personally I couldn't afford a $16 lunch each day so I'd have to increase my fees in order to keep myself fully funded.

It's a poorly thought out attempt to solve a very real concern. However our government officials don't seem to have the intelligence or integrity to actually solve problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
          Biden announced he is going to push the $15 minimum wage... i'm no economic major , but here are my thoughts, so please tell me i'm wrong...

you now flip a $8 burger combo for $7.25 /hr... tomorrow the same job pays double ... would it not make sense that the $8 combo will soon become a $16 combo ? so now it costs double to get what you used to get ? you don't really think the company can survive without raising prices right ?

this also means that your $10k in savings is now only buying half what it used to....

but it doesn't stop there ... america sells a pound of sand for $1 , china does it for $1.20 ... Germany buys mostly america sand as it's cheaper.
          here comes $15 minimum wage ... america's sand now costs $2 ... china's didn't change, so everyone now buys china sand ... looks like America's now screwed ...

China has devalued their currency for years to make it more appealing to buy their products ...

Looks to me like Biden is dangling a carrot in front of the american minimum wage people making them think it's going to help them while screwing the entire country, your savings and pretty much boosting china and every other competitive countries...

please tell me i'm wrong!

Your simplistic view verifies that you weren't an econ major.
          Just because the price of corn doubles does that mean the price of the HF deer to shoot doubles?

Labor is but one component of the price of that burger you eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
            And the workers that have been loyal for ten years that now make $9 an hour, are they gonna get an appropriate percentage pay raise above the minimum?
            If you have an employee that's been with you for ten years and still only makes $9 that says more about YOU than anything

Comment

This will really hurt low wage earners and small biz.

Comment

$15 minimum wage will raise the poverty level, Biden's an idiot. Does he think the businesses will not increase the product price making it unaffordable for those making $15 per hour? They won't loose their profit margin, just pass it along to the consumer. Unfortunately honest small businesses like our shop will suffer and I pray we can make it work if it indeed does happen. Our profit margin is already small. Minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage. It's a starting point for the worker to move up and out of. I started at minimum wage and did just fine working my way out of it. All the President-Instal is doing is pandering to the minority. If the minimum wage does go to $15 it will hurt that very minority more than help. Going to be a rough few years I fear.

Comment

Inflation gonna hit big time. Gas is already going up daily. Just wait until it hits 7 to 8 bucks a gallon. All them libs that voted for Biden gonna sweat when they only have enough money on their debit card to get a 1/4 tank of gas and they still have 400 miles to go to get home.

Comment

Oh it'll work great. The folks complaining about not being rich with their "career" as a cashier will really complain when they get replaced by a self checkout. When the fast food joint cuts staff and the few that remain have to work twice as hard it'll be even more fun. All the while the execs will be making even more money. What do you expect from the democrats? It's all about pandering to the folks with their hand out, while simultaneously screwing them, in order to maintain control. What do they care if the economy goes down the drain, they've made their millions, and if poverty rises, that's just an excuse for more welfare they can skim off of.
                    Last edited by jdg13; 01-15-2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      If you have an employee that's been with you for ten years and still only makes $9 that says more about YOU than anything
                      Not the point.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Inflation gonna hit big time. Gas is already going up daily. Just wait until it hits 7 to 8 bucks a gallon. All them libs that voted for Biden gonna sweat when they only have enough money on their debit card to get a 1/4 tank of gas and they still have 400 miles to go to get home.
                        How much was a gallon of gas in 2001?
                        How much is it today?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                          Not the point.
                          It very much is the point and you just told on yourself that you don't value your employees

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                            This will destroy small businesses worse than the Fake Covid ever did. You will have to cut your work force in half which means altered hours to be able to cover the morning and evening shifts. Customers will then have to wait for that precious soy latte. They won't, they will go down the road to the bigger stores. RIP Mom and Pop businesses......Of course you can bet the big box stores are 100% behind this. They will double their profits in the first year. Money controls everything, not man or woman. Always has and always will. Stop thinking Rep vs Dem and start thinking about how to protect your dollar.
                            Yep

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Your simplistic view verifies that you weren't an econ major.

Just because the price of corn doubles does that mean the price of the HF deer to shoot doubles?

Labor is but one component of the price of that burger you eat.
                              Do you own a fast food place? I don't but a friend owns three. Labor is a big line in keeping services at costs given by the franchiser.
                              Wendy's sets the cost of the combo. Your job is to make a profit selling products at the costs given to you.
                              It won't double but it will significantly impact the cost of a happy meal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X