Beware of the Zillow real estate site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of the Zillow real estate site.

So they keep sending me a "Zestimate" on the brand new waterfront home that I built and sold on Lake Fork two years ago. Their "Zestimate" for the home is $301K. I sold it for $450K then and prices are way up since, plus the buyer built a $50,000 dock. Crap the lots are going for $170 plus. Not only that, the house is not currently for sale. BS

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
    So they keep sending me a "Zestimate" on the brand new waterfront home that I built and sold on Lake Fork two years ago. Their "Zestimate" for the home is $301K. I sold it for $450K then and prices are way up since, plus the buyer built a $50,000 dock. Crap the lots are going for $170 plus. Not only that, the house is not currently for sale. BS
    I don’t really understand what the zestimate is based on but I know it fluctuates a lot.

Sending you a pm.
    Last edited by rvd; 01-07-2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Use realtor.com for more accurate numbers

Comment

It's a horribly inaccurate site.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          It's a horribly inaccurate site.
          Garbage in, garbage out. Zillow just averages everything without any analysis of the data.

Comment

I hate that you can't dispute the estimates, but otherwise it's a very useful site. What are we supposed to beware of, just that the zestimates can often be misleading? Zillow says our house is worth $40k less than our neighbors, who's house is about 1,000 square feet smaller than ours and with similar upgrades. While it doesn't matter now, I hope it won't hurt with perspective buyers when we go to sell.

Comment

I use zillow to find land for sale and then I do more research before buying.

Comment

Zillow will never be accurate in Texas or any other state that is a non-disclosure state. Sales prices are public record.

Comment

Hit unsubscribe

Comment

Noted. I am aware to beware.

Comment

Just checked mine. Its ~$45K low.

Comment

Yup, it’s not very accurate. When I do comps, I use several different resources and MLS on past sales.

And with Texas being a non-disclosure State, Zillow is guessing. Now though, they have “Realtors/Agents” and it’s irritated people. They are kind of like Open Door, going to offer you the world and then give you the shaft.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          I use zillow to find land for sale and then I do more research before buying.
                          This^^^

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                            Yup, it’s not very accurate. When I do comps, I use several different resources and MLS on past sales.

And with Texas being a non-disclosure State, Zillow is guessing. Now though, they have “Realtors/Agents” and it’s irritated people. They are kind of like Open Door, going to offer you the world and then give you the shaft.

From my Make Believe World
                            Best advice
                            Same here. Use a realtor to run comps
                            Zillow is not even updated well on foreclosures & FSBO homes

Comment

I have never liked Zillow. I have bought and sold many homes and properties over the years and I always do my own homework first to establish comps and then follow up with a competent realtor. We have always been on the same page. In our area Har.com is the primary source for buying and selling. Not many people use zillow or realtor.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X