Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai

alright guys i leave thursday night for a nilgai hunt...
    i have found many pics of dead nilgai and the one with a white or red dot...
    does anyone have a cut away diagram of the actual vital location of the heart and lungs.... all the research i can find shows treat it like an african animal...
    straight up the front leg top of the lower 1/3

any help is greatly appreciated!

From the hunts I have been part of you should be good or the base of the neck and shoulder, also plan to shoot more than once they are built REALLY TUFF

Comment

Originally posted by dipstick105 View Post
      From the hunts I have been part of you should be good or the base of the neck and shoulder, also plan to shoot more than once they are built REALLY TUFF
      definately trying to do this with the pointy stick instead of the boom stick

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
        I will be ready to see how this turns out. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
          I don’t have any tips on shot placement, but it sounds like a fun challenging hunt. You should do a write up/post for it. I’m really interested to hear how it goes.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Just shoot for the shoulder, or neck. They’re tough but it’s not like they’re The Terminator or something. Put one in the vitals or through the neck and they’re done for.

Comment

Shot mine with a .300 weatherby mag at 75 yds.
                Right through the shoulder and the heart.
                He still ran 50 and no exit wound.
                Bullet was under skin, don’t know if a mushroom can actually exit their hide !

Comment

I've heard a lot of experienced guys say a high shoulder shot is the ticket with blue bulls. No first hand experience for you, but I sure hope you have a great time!

Comment

Personally, I like the shoulder shot, just as you described.

Hopefully you have a larger caliber rifle. We've lost too many to 30.06 and it will ruin your hunt chasing/losing a Nilgai in brush country.

Both 7 MM mag and 300 mags (Win or Weatherby) work well. 338 Lapua, 33 Nosler, and 375 H&H work even better. Especially 33 Nosler...that's the Nilgai whisperer.

Comment

I’ve shot them before in the neck with a 22-250 at 75yds and dropped them with 64gr sp and in the vitals with a .243 hornady whitetail ammo 100gr, not the best choices but have dropped in their tracks before I usually use a 7 mag 150gr so and those seem to do the trick at shots over 100yds in the vitals or neck shot there animals and a well placed shot will bring them down. On the lease we would hunt(not this year due to ranch improvements) it was real thick brush and if you shot at one and it ran prepare for almost an all day job trying to take it out as it is mostly sand and to get a vehicle in the senderos is quite impossible

Comment

High shoulder shot. Break them down first, because once they start running they are hard to stop.

Comment

Good luck I would avoid high shoulder and neck shots with a bow

Comment

Seems to be lots of good advice for gun hunting, for what you’re doing, not so much. Good luck !

Comment

Working...
                            X