Some effort to DIY but not to difficult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some effort to DIY but not to difficult

Felt like sharing, surely hundreds of posts already. Fortunately for us that have some success but not the full body world record or pedestal shoulder mount taxidermy from the best money can buy taxidermist kind of success. I am more meat hunter than trophy, but no longer brown it's down and always consider what's mature... still not going to say I don't want 150" or better yet 200" to walk out some day and make a great shot and start worrying about the money the mount is going to cost, but until it happens, I still see a trophy in every game animal I've taken. Especially when it's on my plate ready to eat.

Anyway, just a quick informative about some items and where to get them for cheap to do your own skull bleaching.

Need pot to boil...
    Family Owned Restaurant Equipment and Supply Experts in Bryan Texas, Come Visit Us Today!

The short list..

Dawn dish soap
    20 Mule Team Borax

"Developer"

Stop in a "dollar store"
    Plastic oil pan
    Brass/steel brush

Super glue
    Non yellowing clear coat spray

Minus the heating source and pot,

$20 covers everything else.

I have done the following a dozen times.

Fresh head smells better. I freeze head or skin it and start within a day...

Boil several times just water, getting mostly all meat off the bone, remove, spary out brain

Dump water, add dawn soap and small amount of borax and boil some more... I like pouring soap and borax into the skullcap and any spaces that will hold soap.

Once it looks clean.. I bungee it to a tree, pressure washing any bits leftover. I then stuff it overnight with borax to dry out anytging inside I might not see...

Next day or two... I brush off borax and hit with spray wash again and then it is ready for peroxide bath.

I've done it differently 2 out of 12 times, leaving peroxide and skull in garage waiting until next day to rinse and set outside. Last 10 times, just brush teeth with peroxide cream, pour over and inside of skull generously with cream

**** ! Keep off yourself and the antlers ! ****

I set it in direct sunlight with peroxide and leave it until the next day, then using a stiff bristle brush clean away the paste, rinse it off, let sit outside in sunlight another day.

Add some super glue to teeth, just incase.

Give a coat, maybe two of clear coat spray, loop saltwater leader in back to hang on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Perfect timing!!!

Thanks for the write up. Guess I’ll be stopping at the beauty store tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks

Comment

Cool thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just finished this one... today, drying then clear coat.

Comment

Sunbathing

Comment

Good work, try the volume 40 liquid instead of the cream. Once the skull is clean wrap and protect the antler. Put one large bottle of volume 40 in pot and fill with water enough to cover skull. Bring to a simmer/ boil and set skull in. Boil 10 minutes, rinse and sun dry.
              Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

thank you for the info - KJ

Comment

Great write up! One thing that I do is cut the back/bottom of the skull so that I can more easily access the brain and tissue. Removing the portion in red in the picture. I also use it as a notch to hang the skull on the wall.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by saintsfan; 11-10-2020, 10:39 AM. Reason: as

Comment

How long does it take to do one? Start to finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      How long does it take to do one? Start to finish?
                      Usually takes me 2 hours to clean quite a few skulls, then another couple of days with the beautician's bleach cream.

Comment

Good info, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

One trick I learned from a taxi was to take a piece of wire and stir up the brains before boiling
                          It makes it come out way easier with the lining and no need to cut the skull to remove excess

Comment

Working...
                          X