6.5x284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5x284

Anyone shooting this caliber ? If so do you have any pet loads you would like to share ?

Wonderful cartridge, no longer own mine but had two and both performed beyond my capabilities.

I stuck to H4831sc and RL19 and ran 140gr Amaxs up around 2950 in Nosler brass. I've read some guys with outstanding results running the 156 EOL over RL26.

Enjoy if you got one!

Comment

I have one in the Christensen Ridgeline. It’s my absolute favorite rifle. I shoot Nosler 140gr out of mine. For some reason when I try to reload for it my bolt won’t go down. I’ve measured everything and can’t find the problem.

Comment

I’ve had mine for about 7 years. Love it. I load a 140 SST with 50.2gr’s of H4831. Everything drops where it’s shot.

Comment

I shoot a 140 vld .020” off with 55.1 grains of 4831sc yielding about 2890fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
            I have one in the Christensen Ridgeline. It’s my absolute favorite rifle. I shoot Nosler 140gr out of mine. For some reason when I try to reload for it my bolt won’t go down. I’ve measured everything and can’t find the problem.
            Is your die pushing the shoulder back? I had this happen with a .300 win mag. My sizing die even when screwed down all the way wasn't moving the shoulder back. I put the die in my lathe and took off about 20 thou. Now it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Is your die pushing the shoulder back? I had this happen with a .300 win mag. My sizing die even when screwed down all the way wasn't moving the shoulder back. I put the die in my lathe and took off about 20 thou. Now it works great.

For us mortals that don’t have a lathe [emoji14]
              Redding makes shell holders that are shorter for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was given a rifle in 6.5x284, told it was a one-hole gun but I don't reload so I've never shot it. Is there any benefit to having it re-chambered to 6.5PRC?

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                  I was given a rifle in 6.5x284, told it was a one-hole gun but I don't reload so I've never shot it. Is there any benefit to having it re-chambered to 6.5PRC?
                  Not really. The 6.5 prc uses a magnum bolt face (.532) while the 6.5X284 uses a standard bolt face (.473). Lot's of expense and might be some other factors involved.

The good news is that a couple of companies manufacture 6.5X284 ammunition.

If the rifle came with load data you can have some made here most likely.

Comment

Unless the gun has sentimental value to you, I think you’re better off selling it and buying another that is chambered in a caliber you want.

Comment

You want to sell it?

Comment

No, unless you want to have another gun that you don’t shoot

Comment

I had great luck with Retumbo and 140gr Berger VLD’s. Better MV and shot little bughole groups.

Comment

Federal Large Match Primers (GM2), Retumbo powder (56.5 grains), Berger 140 grain VLD bullets, and Lapua brass. I love my 6.5-284, the Berger VLD’s don’t disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by BDKett View Post
                              Federal Large Match Primers (GM2), Retumbo powder (56.5 grains), Berger 140 grain VLD bullets, and Lapua brass. I love my 6.5-284, the Berger VLD’s don’t disappoint.
                              I shoot the 140 VLDs out of my 264 win mag. To say they are nasty is an understatement.

Comment

Working...
                              X