No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out for a quick visit at my lease near the WMA yesterday afternoon. The farmer who works the land we lease was starting to harvest his corn, so it shouldn't be long before all the farmers in the area do so as well. Also, after a poor crop last year, the pecans out there are loaded. Should start falling before too long.

Comment

Good news about the cows in the san gabriel unit, I never knew if it was the hogs or cows eating my corn.

Congrats Idaho! You pumped this thread back up as well. Im getting the itch to get back out there. Im going to wait untill the corn is out of the fields. Not surprised to hear about the cotton mouths.

Comment

Yea, starting have a fever to get out of my office and head for Granger again!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
          Good news about the cows in the san gabriel unit, I never knew if it was the hogs or cows eating my corn.

Congrats Idaho! You pumped this thread back up as well. Im getting the itch to get back out there. Im going to wait untill the corn is out of the fields. Not surprised to hear about the cotton mouths.
          lol, thanks birddog66...I tend to emit a lot of hot air (I apologize to everyone )...gonna head back in around 0400 hours Friday AM...I want to go to Willis Creek Unit, but I've been stuck on the Comanche Bluff/Primitive Camp area lately...there's so much activity in there it's hard to continue on with my goal of scouting out the last of Granger that I have yet to cover. And then I wanted to go do the same with Somerville before the fall deer season is upon us. So many cool hunting spots, so little time .But, like I said...the honeyhole has been found and I can't seem to move on from it! I think I have an "addictive personality" or something

PS - Thanks for that good intel Montec man
          Last edited by Idaho TradBow; 08-05-2010, 03:59 PM. Reason: To thank Montec man

Comment

Done some scouting yesterday, went to Sorefinger first. Oh boy! lot of construction going on for the dam area, on water side. It was too HOT. Plenty of grasshoppers flying all over the place! Spotted BIG spider before I went through the web! Glad that I brought machete knife and killed it. The area is too thick to walk through unless you can find cow path, which isn't enough to go anywhere. Cattle is there. So I drove around and spotted #2 and #3 and #4. #4 look interesting and went there, not much area to walk around, unless one find a way to go across deep ravine to other side. Went ahead to #6. Sure enough, I didn't see any cow! only one trail was mowed. Wish that they did more than just one. On "beach" part, they mowed some area as I can smell fresh cut. It is totally different than what I saw last time. I went home after that as I got really bad headache. That's how HOT it was outside under the sun. Will go back again when the time is good and good weather allowing.

Comment

OK...seriously starting to get the itch...time to get the crew rolling. Maybe I can roll up on my lost range finder and release LOL

Comment

Just for the record crod made my profile on here I was busy at the time and yes he put my first post on here I would never admit to him being my friend let alone hunting with him. Just kidding buddy hope to get after them soon and meeting a bunch of you guys in the field.

Comment

Hope to see much cooler weather coming so it will be more fun that way!

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                    OK...seriously starting to get the itch...time to get the crew rolling. Maybe I can roll up on my lost range finder and release LOL
                    ha good luck

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                      To my fellow Granger Rangers....that pig was a week old LOL No wonder it was tough huh... No im playin. Ill have to video this year. Cant wait for this years hunt!! Great times with great guys
                      How did you ever pull that off i only wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                        How did you ever pull that off i only wonder
                        LOL...good to see ur still with us Buddy. Hopefully soon we can get out and wrangle us up some hogs

Comment

Just let me know when. Spot and stalk is the way to go!

Comment

Okay...just got back home from Granger. Hotter than Hades...The nice guy had mowed all the trails and roadsides at the Comanche Bluff/P.C. sector where I hunted today . Saw one group of 3 pigs, one medium and two smallish at 0750 hrs at a water hole, stalked to within 15 yards (painstakingly slow) but got busted before I could get the shot off (shoulda taken the shot out at 20 yds)...went to a wallow I had noticed they've been frequenting these last couple outings around noon - was there just a few minutes when lo and behold two little reddish-chocolate brown piggies came shuffling and grunting along, right by me heads down I was kneeling next to a tree and as soon as they stopped at the wallows edge and put their snouts in it I stuck the lead one. Man that arrow made a "smack" at 12 yds!!! Loud in that quiet little spot! This time the Magnus II held together, but dang near no blood trail at all. I'm definitely going to get me some woodsmens or snuffers, enough of these II's. It was a bi** trying to find my little boar (all of about 60 lbs) as he went into the bloodweeds, and out the other side and looped back around into them again a ways away. There was so much pig sign in and around there I couldn't honestly tell which tracks were my piggys ...so after about 2 hours I started criss crossing the thick crap and methodically scouring every square inch of an area about the size of a football field before I found him. he'd gone about a hundred yards +. It was almost 3PM and I KNOW the temp had to be over a hundred degrees. I dang near didn't make it outta there aas I felt some heatstroke coming on...thank God the pig was small, and I had plenty of water...I wanted the big sow I've been going after in there the last few trips out, but thinkin' about todays heat and the two mile hump outta there wth a little guy, I'm glad she didn't show her magnificent 'ol 250 lb self! Anyways, I noticed pecans dropping pretty steadily all around in there and lot's of pig sign...and on the way out heading home I observed that the corn in all the fields in that area was still up, but it was being harvested in a few other areas....so things may be gettin' good here soon as the temp drops some. I seriously need to take a week off from this...I am PLUMB TUCKERED OUT!!! I have to go back to work each week to rest up for my next hunt and recover from my last one, lol...man I WISH they would allow us to drive that road back in there...it would sure help in getting a side of bacon out of there without killin' one's self off. Gotta hit the shower and hit the hay...just thought I'd give y'all my "status report" before I do...oh, yeah and no water moccasins this time (nice)...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                              Okay...just got back home from Granger. Hotter than Hades...The nice guy had mowed all the trails and roadsides at the Comanche Bluff/P.C. sector where I hunted today . Saw one group of 3 pigs, one medium and two smallish at 0750 hrs at a water hole, stalked to within 15 yards (painstakingly slow) but got busted before I could get the shot off (shoulda taken the shot out at 20 yds)...went to a wallow I had noticed they've been frequenting these last couple outings around noon - was there just a few minutes when lo and behold two little reddish-chocolate brown piggies came shuffling and grunting along, right by me heads down I was kneeling next to a tree and as soon as they stopped at the wallows edge and put their snouts in it I stuck the lead one. Man that arrow made a "smack" at 12 yds!!! Loud in that quiet little spot! This time the Magnus II held together, but dang near no blood trail at all. I'm definitely going to get me some woodsmens or snuffers, enough of these II's. It was a bi** trying to find my little boar (all of about 60 lbs) as he went into the bloodweeds, and out the other side and looped back around into them again a ways away. There was so much pig sign in and around there I couldn't honestly tell which tracks were my piggys ...so after about 2 hours I started criss crossing the thick crap and methodically scouring every square inch of an area about the size of a football field before I found him. he'd gone about a hundred yards +. It was almost 3PM and I KNOW the temp had to be over a hundred degrees. I dang near didn't make it outta there aas I felt some heatstroke coming on...thank God the pig was small, and I had plenty of water...I wanted the big sow I've been going after in there the last few trips out, but thinkin' about todays heat and the two mile hump outta there wth a little guy, I'm glad she didn't show her magnificent 'ol 250 lb self! Anyways, I noticed pecans dropping pretty steadily all around in there and lot's of pig sign...and on the way out heading home I observed that the corn in all the fields in that area was still up, but it was being harvested in a few other areas....so things may be gettin' good here soon as the temp drops some. I seriously need to take a week off from this...I am PLUMB TUCKERED OUT!!! I have to go back to work each week to rest up for my next hunt and recover from my last one, lol...man I WISH they would allow us to drive that road back in there...it would sure help in getting a side of bacon out of there without killin' one's self off. Gotta hit the shower and hit the hay...just thought I'd give y'all my "status report" before I do...oh, yeah and no water moccasins this time (nice)...
                              Great Story. congrats on ur hog. I hope they keep the road shut down, makes for alot better hunting in there. Whenthe weather cools off the walk isnt so bad.

Comment

Idaho,
                                Great story and congrats on the hog.

Comment

Working...
                                X