No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hadn't gone to that unit for a quite time. No cow there? That would make a difference because cattle is a nursance! Can't stalk around with them being there. They make me nervous! Had to watch them before they decide to start the stampade!

Comment

Bulletman; be ready for CPR.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
        Phillip, if you need help getting on some hogs PM me. Cant guarentee anything 100% but/.../Lot of the regulars including myself will prolly be more than happy to take you out and show you the ropes out there.
        Ditto here. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Granger455 View Post
          FYI, The guy that had cattle in the San Gabriel unit doesnt have them in there anymore. they took them out around the end of June. Has anyone noticed if this has made any difference? more hogs or less without the cattle in the area??????
          Having no cattle will certainly make a difference. The cows ruined my old honey hole on the North side of Willis Creek. There used to be dense stands of bloodweeds there next to the creek bottom, and it was full of hogs. The cattle knocked it all down and opened the area up, and now there's not nearly as many piggies over there.

Comment

Those cows were also some corn thiefs. Thought I had hogs hitting my hog pipe. Nope it was cows. Glad they are gone. Except for the fact they helped keep things knocked down.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              Bulletman; be ready for CPR.
              Wuddy, I'm slow, CPR?

Comment

New to TXBH

Just moved in from Arizona and enjoy reading the Thread. Can't wait to hunt with yall in Granger soon, looking for my first hog kill soon. Will be hunting alot with CROD888.

Comment

Originally posted by VTEX View Post
                  Just moved in from Arizona and enjoy reading the Thread. Can't wait to hunt with yall in Granger soon, looking for my first hog kill soon. Will be hunting alot with CROD888.
                  Cool. Welcome! Lucky you've hooked up with crod. Sounds like he's a true Granger veteran, very knowledgeable/helpful, and all 'round nice guy. Might see ya around out thataway as I'm hopelessly addicted to traipsing all over Granger with my bow in hand (some call it hunting - that's when you actually get an animal I think, lol...). Comanche Bluff/Primitive Camp area has been hot for me as of late...just wish I could pitch a tent there and not have to go back to San Antonio to work! May have to move closer...

PS - To the crowd in general that hunt Granger. last Friday I encountered my very first Texas cottonmouth/moccasins...two of the buggers within about ten feet of one another close to water's edge of a pond close to the water plant by Comanche Bluff ...dang they moved quick. MUCH faster than any rattler I ever encountered! I moved much slower after that around water, keeping my eyes peeled
                  Last edited by Idaho TradBow; 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    Hi!, I'm Phillip Fields from Virginia. I've been reading through this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm planning on a few days hog/javelina hunting in South Texas around Jan/Feb. After reading this thread I might extend my trip 2 or 3 weeks (I'm retired) and hunt some pigs around Granger. Would a couple of weeks give me enough time to learn enough about the area to maybe kill a pig or 2?
                    I'm pretty confident of your odds for success, especially if you're camped out there as you indicate earlier. I have yet to hunt there in Jan/Feb, and I've been hearing the hog huntin's better then. Less foilage, cooler (for pigs AND us to move around), and the crops aren't up in the neighboring fields meaning they're gonna be more prone to hang in the government WMA for all their basic needs...right where we want 'em to be. My theory anyway. I'm willing to give a hand as I also believe crod was, or any number of us. When you get close to comin' down give us a heads up so we can help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                      I'm pretty confident of your odds for success, especially if you're camped out there as you indicate earlier. I have yet to hunt there in Jan/Feb, and I've been hearing the hog huntin's better then. Less foilage, cooler (for pigs AND us to move around), and the crops aren't up in the neighboring fields meaning they're gonna be more prone to hang in the government WMA for all their basic needs...right where we want 'em to be. My theory anyway. I'm willing to give a hand as I also believe crod was, or any number of us. When you get close to comin' down give us a heads up so we can help out.
                      Idaho,

When I get close I'll give you a heads up. My wife will be with mw, we both hunt with longbows. She's only killed small game so far, but I'm hoping to get her on a javelina this year, before I try Granger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Idaho,

When I get close I'll give you a heads up. My wife will be with mw, we both hunt with longbows. She's only killed small game so far, but I'm hoping to get her on a javelina this year, before I try Granger.
                        Were do u Javi hunt at?

Comment

Crod dont know nothin bout granger! Besides there isnt any pigs there anyways!

Comment

crod can't shoot. That pig at GRXH was a fluke. Think he had it tied up waiting. Thanks for the eats Crodd.

Comment

Crod,

I've hunted javelina just outside Crane Texas, at the Lincoln Ranch near Laredo, and at the Cadena Ranch near Benavides. I have not decided where I'll hunt this upcoming trip.

Comment

To my fellow Granger Rangers....that pig was a week old LOL No wonder it was tough huh... No im playin. Ill have to video this year. Cant wait for this years hunt!! Great times with great guys

Comment

Working...
                                X