Cost per acre is going up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost per acre is going up again

I lease through Hancock in Newton County and the price went up 26 cents this year. Anyone else seeing this? Kind of aggravating being that they have cut the last 2 years during hunting season and starting to cut again in a few weeks.

26 cents per acre on an annual basis?

Comment

Our new 3 year contract was posted last week through FRC(Campbell). Ours went up .25 per acre this year, .05 per acre next year and then another .25 per acre year 3 of contract. Getting stupid to me.

Comment

I'm not familiar with timber leases, what is that as a % of lease cost? 2-3% or 40%?

if its low I'd just chalk it up to inflation and doing business

Comment

Cost of land goes up every year, inflation reduces the value of the $ every year, it only makes sense that leases would go up every year.

Comment

What’s your annual cost?

Comment

IMO $250 per 1k acres is not very much, especially if it is divided among multiple hunters. Not knowing the total price per acre it could be a little or a huge increase. Either way, private land is averaging $10-12 per acre for all sizes, and more depending on location and improvements.

At least it's a place to hunt.

Comment

One of my FRC leases is going up 30 cents/acre this year and the same for the next two years- $9.25 to $9.55 for this year. That equates to $25 per member increase each year.

Comment

They wont ever go down so......

Comment

This will continue until the end of time. Keep paying it until you can’t afford it anymore then someone else will.

It’s not just Hancock, they all do it.

Comment

Our ranch sold at the end of January and giving the hunting rights to an outfitter. We have 1360 ac with 10 spots with two of those 10 being double spots that me and my uncle have. They are going up $3.50 or $5.00 an acre depending on what hunting rights we want and taking 3 spots away from us. So basically it’s going to double in price.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        This will continue until the end of time. Keep paying it until you can’t afford it anymore then someone else will.

It’s not just Hancock, they all do it.
                        This. They always have and always will. 90% of them anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                          Our ranch sold at the end of January and giving the hunting rights to an outfitter. We have 1360 ac with 10 spots with two of those 10 being double spots that me and my uncle have. They are going up $3.50 or $5.00 an acre depending on what hunting rights we want and taking 3 spots away from us. So basically it’s going to double in price.
                          Is the dropping to 7 members set in stone or just a suggestion?

The letter states " It is recommended that there be 200 acres per hunter to ensure a healthy population" .

Hopefully they would let us ease down to 6-7 members through attrition and not just a hatchet job to the current numbers.

Comment

Down here in south Texas lease price increase is just a fact of life , most contracts call for a 5% increase per annum, it’s a take it or leave it
                            Factor in owners are requiring
                            1. Helicopter surveys = $650-$700 per hour x10 hours
                            2. Liability insurance = $3000
                            3. Some require x brand of protein + x amount fed per month

It definitely a lessors market

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              Is the dropping to 7 members set in stone or just a suggestion?

The letter states " It is recommended that there be 200 acres per hunter to ensure a healthy population" .

Hopefully they would let us ease down to 6-7 members through attrition and not just a hatchet job to the current numbers.
                              I looked at it as 1 hunter to 200 acres. But that’s just my interpretation

Comment

Working...
                              X