Transmission fluid change interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission fluid change interval

Everyone seems to have a strong opinion on this one. When to change, and flush or pan drop?

My wife’s ‘19 Dodge Grand Caravan rolled 65,000 miles. Mostly around town, not highway. Manual says change at 60k for heavy service and 120k for normal use.

Would you treat a truck differently?

I would follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If chit hits the fan, you can demonstrate you followed their recommendations.

Comment

I’ve owed several cars and trucks and never once changed the transmission fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Id keep driving to the 120k mark unless the oil starts to turn off color or smells funny.

Comment

Never ever change the transmission fluid…unless it’s empty or your wanting to get it rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I change fluid and filter per the manual. I never flush it. That is asking for trouble, especially past 150k.

Comment

Change it per the manual, I can’t understand why some people don’t believe it maintaining their transmission yet they change their oil every 3,000 miles. Engines would run for 100,000 miles on the same oil as well but they do seem to do it.

Comment

Ball Park....100K

Comment

Drove my last chevy truck to 304, 000 miles and never changed the tranny fluid. Never had an issue.

Comment

With these newer trannys it definitely needs to be changed per manufacturers guidelines , if not 5k before! Especially GM products!

Comment

New vehicles say never change it and only stealerships can get it out and back in. No drain plug.
                      I would go for the 100K change...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                        New vehicles say never change it and only stealerships can get it out and back in. No drain plug.
                        I would go for the 100K change...
                        I don’t know which New vehicle you own but mine definitely say to change it! 2016 & 2021 General Motors trucks!

Comment

200K on my last chevy truck and never touched it.
                          One thing you NEVER want to do is have one of these oil change places talk you into back flushing and changing the fluid. That will result in almost instant failure. There is only one way to change tranny fluid and that requires some disassembly. IF YOU MUST, have a dealer or transmission repair shop do it.
                          It might also be a good time to replace the tail shaft bearing and seal.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            200K on my last chevy truck and never touched it.
                            One thing you NEVER want to do is have one of these oil change places talk you into back flushing and changing the fluid. That will result in almost instant failure. There is only one way to change tranny fluid and that requires some disassembly. IF YOU MUST, have a dealer or transmission repair shop do it.
                            It might also be a good time to replace the tail shaft bearing and seal.
                            What year model was that truck and which tranny did it have in it?

Comment

Pan drop and filter change around 100k. My last truck has 240k and still going. The one before it had 265k when I sold it. I pull a loaded down dual tandem gooseneck 2-3 days a week with all of them. The 265k was a hotshot truck with a 40ft gooseneck from day 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X