X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful pics a3D!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      Nice find 3D on the T1. Looks quite compact....I was thinking it was a T2 or T3.

Tookey: For Elk hunting, I have not hunted anywhere that I needed a spotter yet. I did recently find a Nikon ED50 for a really good deal. I have not used it in the field yet but hope to break it in on a NV archery deer hunt in AUG. I also have a Theron Saker 16-45x60mm which I use close to the truck for antelope and deer.

I killed a couple hours at Cabela's a couple weeks ago....it was dead in the Optics area so the guy kindly showed me....everything. I went thru the Swaro, Zeiss and Vortex lines of Binos as well as the Cabela's Euro (Meopta Meostar). I'd have to say that optically the Vortex Razor HDs looked just as good as the Swaro EL HDs. The fit and feel of the ELs was the best. I really wanted to like the Cabela's Euro HD but there was a noticable step up with the Razor HD. They only had the Zeiss Conquest HD and not the Victory FL LT which would likely have been more comparable to the Swaros and Razor HD. Anyway for $1200 the Razor was a clear bargain for my short un-scientific test.
      I love my Vortex Razor HD Binos. I have been looking at the Vortex Razor HD and Swarov Non HD Spotters The only difference is the Swarov is about 1 lb lighter in weight and a tad smaller but $600-$800 more

Comment

man I miss the mountains..... Lord willing this year

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
          you're close enough for a weekend trip, what's holding you back?

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
            Do it!!! Take a bonsai trip for a weekend of scouting. Not good for sleep, fantastic for the soul!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              Do it!!! Take a bonsai trip for a weekend of scouting. Not good for sleep, fantastic for the soul!
              I left Amarillo at 6pm friday night, drove to Colorado Springs to a friends house, got about 6 hours sleep and was up and at it. After a day there and running around got about 5 hours sleep and headed into the mountains. Left the mountains at 3pm headed back, got home at 8:30pm.

Well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                I left Amarillo at 6pm friday night, drove to Colorado Springs to a friends house, got about 6 hours sleep and was up and at it. After a day there and running around got about 5 hours sleep and headed into the mountains. Left the mountains at 3pm headed back, got home at 8:30pm.

Well worth it.
                How's progress on moving up there going?

Comment

you're close enough for a weekend trip, what's holding you back?
                  full time youth ministry and I have no idea how or what to do.... but maybe this fall a trip will pan out

Lord willin'

Comment

I plan on spending 9 days at vallecito when the daughter gets out for summer break.

Comment

Well, looks like my elk hunting dreams will have to wait until next year. Working as a rookie firefighter I can only get one day of shift coverage since I'm bottom on the totem pole. I'll be vicariously living through you guys in the meantime!

Comment

Well worth it.
                        Yeah, that is pretty easy actually. Run up to Raton and hit the Interstate? Colorado Springs is one heck of a nice place. Find anything up there full time?

Comment

I haven't been on this thread in a while, but I thought I would post up some good news. I got an invite with some guys in a church group who head up around Gunnison on a DIY. They are older, and they are not self described "hardcore," so they are willing to help me and show me the ropes while giving me time to go out on my own when I need it. I'm pretty happy about it, as I was a little skeptical of going it alone on the first try. It will be alot nicer than what I'm used to hunting, as they are talking travel trailers and four wheelers, but I don't have to do that at all. I can just come and go as I please and get help when I need it. The important thing is that I have a knowledge base and support system when I'm out there. That I like very much, and IF I kill something, I have people to help me out. Don't know what kind of shape that I'll be in, but I have found a really good hill to kick my arse, so I have working on that for the last two weeks both running and with the weighted pack. I had set back in training about three weeks ago. I went hiking for about 8 miles, and my foot developed this giant blister and bruise. Took two weeks to feel comfortable enough to hike again, and then I realized I had this huge hill to climb, broke out the pack, and sucked it up. Really did a number on me to wonder what I'll do when faced with mountains instead of hills. Trying to focus on my cardio some more as I'm still dropping weight, so we will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                            I haven't been on this thread in a while, but I thought I would post up some good news. I got an invite with some guys in a church group who head up around Gunnison on a DIY. They are older, and they are not self described "hardcore," so they are willing to help me and show me the ropes while giving me time to go out on my own when I need it. I'm pretty happy about it, as I was a little skeptical of going it alone on the first try. It will be alot nicer than what I'm used to hunting, as they are talking travel trailers and four wheelers, but I don't have to do that at all. I can just come and go as I please and get help when I need it. The important thing is that I have a knowledge base and support system when I'm out there. That I like very much, and IF I kill something, I have people to help me out. Don't know what kind of shape that I'll be in, but I have found a really good hill to kick my arse, so I have working on that for the last two weeks both running and with the weighted pack. I had set back in training about three weeks ago. I went hiking for about 8 miles, and my foot developed this giant blister and bruise. Took two weeks to feel comfortable enough to hike again, and then I realized I had this huge hill to climb, broke out the pack, and sucked it up. Really did a number on me to wonder what I'll do when faced with mountains instead of hills. Trying to focus on my cardio some more as I'm still dropping weight, so we will see what happens.
                            Very wise move buddy! Glad to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Yeah, that is pretty easy actually. Run up to Raton and hit the Interstate? Colorado Springs is one heck of a nice place. Find anything up there full time?
                              Nothing yet, working on it though.

Comment

Rokslide

I have received my password but when I try to log in, it keeps telling me that I do'nt have enough permission to log in. Anybody ever encountered this? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X