The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    3d, which scope and camera did you use for these pictures? They are awesome.
    I was using a Vortex Nomad scope and held a small Nikon digital camera by hand to get the pic.
    Had plenty of screwed up blurry pics just to get a few clear ones. Had to turn the camera to sport mode to get a fast shutter speed to help eliminate blur.

Comment

Cool deal. Been looking at the nomad and that Minox. Trying to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
        If this has already been talked about I apologize. The thread is getting very large.

I got to thinking the other day and hands down the hardest call to use is a mouth call. A few of my buddies tell me they just can't do it. It took me hours and hours of practice to become good with a mouth call. Plus, I’ve been using one since I was seven years old so that helps.

Most folks have some sort of drive to work and that is usually alone. So why not take a mouth call with you and practice on the way to and from work. This few minutes will add up and you will be surprised how much improvement you will see.

Having the ability to use a mouth call is priceless in the woods. Besides the obvious fact you can stop a bull hands free it can be used to your benefit in other ways. The sounds you can make with different mouth calls just might be the ticket to getting a call shy bull to come in. When I hunted OTC CO last year I used the “Hoochie Momma” and some other popular calls. I got zero response from any of these calls. I quit using them by day three and called in a small rag horn that came in silent with a mouth call.

I have even got to the point I leave my Hoochie Momma in camp so I’m not tempted to use it. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bashing the Hoochie Momma it is an excellent call. It is a very easy and realistic sounding call. One of the best calls ever invented, in my opinion. The same easy and realistic sound that made the call so popular now has every hunter blowing it out the window of the truck and hundreds of times throughout the woods. This over a few years has made the call less effective for me. I’m not saying the call still won’t work because it will under the right conditions. Heck any call will work if the conditions are right. Just listen to some of the so called professionals on TV. They sound like crap most of the time. Most of us hunt public ground and have to be creative each year on how we attempt to draw in public, call shy bulls within bow range. Just some food for thought and some possible motivation to put in the time and effort to become proficient with a mouth call. Once you do you won’t regret it, I promise.
        Excellent post. Learning a mouth call in the truck on the way to work is a great way to do it. I use hand-held reed calls for most of my cow calling work. But I always have a diaphragm call in my mouth when hunting just because you never know when you need a hands free call to seal the deal when they are close.

I do carry a hoochie mama strapped to my belt loop and use it on occasion to mix it up.....but the other calls are used much more.

The caveat is that i don't hunt on public land but the surrounding ranches around us are hunted pretty heavy and do get some pressure.

Comment

Cool deal. Been looking at the nomad and that Minox. Trying to decide.
          well, my opinion is either go one step above the Nomad or stay with the Minox MD50. The step up from the Nomad is worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Nikon Pro Staff??? Think I might pull the trigger on one. Straight or angled? Hope to do a lot of mountain hunting in next few years.

Comment

I have a very small mouth and a horrible gag reflex. But your post has inspired me to try again. Learned to drive a duck call in the truck. Amazing what you can do with an hour every day.

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
              If this has already been talked about I apologize. The thread is getting very large.

I got to thinking the other day and hands down the hardest call to use is a mouth call. A few of my buddies tell me they just can't do it. It took me hours and hours of practice to become good with a mouth call. Plus, I’ve been using one since I was seven years old so that helps.

Most folks have some sort of drive to work and that is usually alone. So why not take a mouth call with you and practice on the way to and from work. This few minutes will add up and you will be surprised how much improvement you will see.

Having the ability to use a mouth call is priceless in the woods. Besides the obvious fact you can stop a bull hands free it can be used to your benefit in other ways. The sounds you can make with different mouth calls just might be the ticket to getting a call shy bull to come in. When I hunted OTC CO last year I used the “Hoochie Momma” and some other popular calls. I got zero response from any of these calls. I quit using them by day three and called in a small rag horn that came in silent with a mouth call.

I have even got to the point I leave my Hoochie Momma in camp so I’m not tempted to use it. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bashing the Hoochie Momma it is an excellent call. It is a very easy and realistic sounding call. One of the best calls ever invented, in my opinion. The same easy and realistic sound that made the call so popular now has every hunter blowing it out the window of the truck and hundreds of times throughout the woods. This over a few years has made the call less effective for me. I’m not saying the call still won’t work because it will under the right conditions. Heck any call will work if the conditions are right. Just listen to some of the so called professionals on TV. They sound like crap most of the time. Most of us hunt public ground and have to be creative each year on how we attempt to draw in public, call shy bulls within bow range. Just some food for thought and some possible motivation to put in the time and effort to become proficient with a mouth call. Once you do you won’t regret it, I promise.

Comment

I have a very small mouth and a horrible gag reflex. But your post has inspired me to try again. Learned to drive a duck call in the truck. Amazing what you can do with an hour every day.
                Have you tried some of the Primos mini dome style calls? They seem like they would sit towards the front of your mouth better and maybe help with the gag reflex. I also cut down almost every mouth call I use.

Comment

3d, which scope and camera did you use for these pictures? They are awesome.
                  Great pics! Good luck with your job hunting.

Comment

a3dhunter, thanks for the sierra trading link on the sassalongs. Ordered me apir and used the coupon. Ca'nt wait to try them on.

Comment

So I'm starting a new job on March 19th, to say things have been hectic in my life lately is an understatement. Not sure if I'm gonna have the vacation time to burn in September, but if I do, if I don't buy OTC for CO in July, can I pick some up in September? I realize that they are called "Over-The-Counter", but I'm a little confused since they go on sale in July and are available for purchase online, which makes me think there's a limited amount.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                        So I'm starting a new job on March 19th, to say things have been hectic in my life lately is an understatement. Not sure if I'm gonna have the vacation time to burn in September, but if I do, if I don't buy OTC for CO in July, can I pick some up in September? I realize that they are called "Over-The-Counter", but I'm a little confused since they go on sale in July and are available for purchase online, which makes me think there's a limited amount.
                        Yes you can even get it at Walmart when ever you get there.

Comment

Nikon Pro Staff??? Think I might pull the trigger on one. Straight or angled? Hope to do a lot of mountain hunting in next few years.
                          There are better options for the money than Pro Staff Scopes. The Nomad will be superior to the Prostaff. I have a Theron Saker which is comparable to the Nomad maybe a little better.

One thing you need to understand about this level of optics is they just won't preform very well above about 35-40X.

As for the mini scopes, 3D's Minox is a good economical choice but the king in that division is the Nikon Fieldscope 50. Yes it's about twice as much as the Minox but it is a very impressive little scope. That will be my next spotter.

As for angled vs straight...it's a personal preference. I prefer straight. Angled can be easier on your neck if you are glassing uphill. You can also get by with a shorter tripod with an angled. They say aquiring objects with an angled is harder but I think it just takes getting used to.

Comment

Who am I kidding? I'm just gonna keep with my optics fund until I can buy the Swaro or Zeiss. Fun to look though.

Comment

Who am I kidding? I'm just gonna keep with my optics fund until I can buy the Swaro or Zeiss. Fun to look though.
                              Not a bad idea if you don't need anything right now and not quite sure what you need. Scopes are cool to have but not really a must unless you are trophy hunting IMO.

There are a bunch of places that rent med-high end optics as well. I have found you are gonna pay about 10% of the gear's retail value per week.

Comment

I don't think its the same bull just on the angle of the sword your bulls go straight up the shed tilts forward. Congrats on some fine bulls.
                                Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                Speaking of sheds? Is it possible that this shed found recently is the same as the bull that I shot this past oct?

Here is the shed:

Here is the bull I shot the one on the right:

Comment

Working...
                                X