No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be hunting in 3rd rifle season, so I have a little more ways to go than you. Probably in another month, I will really turn things up. So far I've just been doing mostly weights at Golds, with some various cardio mixed in.

Been doing GE scouting pretty much every night at home.

As far as gear, a couple hours ago I ordered one of these off Camofire: http://www.s4gear.com/pages/products/lockdown.php

Still have a few more things to add to the gear list, particularly a new pair of boots.

I also recently subscribed to Western Hunter magazine, and recieved my 1st issue in the mail yesterday. I really enjoyed reading it. Read through the entire thing as soon as I picked it up. Now I just have to wait 3 more months for the next one. I'm probably going to go ahead and subscribe to Elk Hunter magazine too, probably should've done that to begin with. I started watching the Western Hunter hunting show a few weeks ago, and it's probably my new favorite hunting show, along with MeatEater.

Talked to my buddy yesterday who lives up in the Springs, and he told me that he aint been doing jack as far as working out. He did the same thing 2 years ago when we hunted together, and I pretty much went off and left him because he was so out of shape. I'm hoping I don't have to do that again this year.
    Last edited by Grizz83; 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Got a new tent and been riding my bike a little.

Comment

1) Hardcore CrossFit, and feel absolutely great. Will be in better shape this year than ever before.
        2) I have been practicing my calling pretty much every day in the truck, will be much better this time around in this dept also.
        3) Trying to decide on an OTC Colorado unit....same or new? New or same?
        4) I just bought some Zamberlan boots that I love so far, and will probably buy some more camo.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          1) Hardcore CrossFit, and feel absolutely great. Will be in better shape this year than ever before.
          2) I have been practicing my calling pretty much every day in the truck, will be much better this time around in this dept also.
          3) Trying to decide on an OTC Colorado unit....same or new? New or same?
          4) I just bought some Zamberlan boots that I love so far, and will probably buy some more camo.
          I've been practicing my calling when driving as well, pulled up next to a girl the other day and didn't realize I had the window cracked. I let out a bugle and she almost ran the red light!

What Zamberlans did you buy?

Comment

Successful for my Colo Bull application. Whew!

Comment

Increasing my time on stair climber. That's an evil machine. Also been working on stove pipe for my ultra lite tent stove

Comment

I'm not young anymore, but my go-to drill for mountain preparation before hunting and snowboarding is:

10 min treadmill at 10*
                then right into 100 lb leg press for 5 minutes (reps don't matter)
                then back to treadmill for 15 min at 15*

There's more to my workout (like back and such) but I add this a couple months before the scheduled event.

Comment

Anybody hunted unit 61 south end?

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
                    Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by chillymac View Post
                      You've got a archery Elk tag in 61?

Comment

Does anyone have any info on a good DIY elk hunting spot in New Mexico? I've been on 2 guided hunts in NM Unit 9 and killed my first bull last season at 70 yards with a rage 3 blade.

I'm starting to look into DIY draw hunts in NM vs. OTC tag hunts in Colorado. Please let me know if you have any insight to help me pick my next location/unit.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                          Anybody know when the tags from Colorado will come in the mail?
                          I have now received elk and deer tags in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by stanz16 View Post
                            Does anyone have any info on a good DIY elk hunting spot in New Mexico? I've been on 2 guided hunts in NM Unit 9 and killed my first bull last season at 70 yards with a rage 3 blade.

I'm starting to look into DIY draw hunts in NM vs. OTC tag hunts in Colorado. Please let me know if you have any insight to help me pick my next location/unit.
                            No OTC tags in New Mexico so you're at the mercy of the draw and the odds aren't good. Even the less desirable units are hard to draw as non residents. We only get 6% of the tags. Only other choice if you want to hunt every year is to try to find and buy a unit wide tag from a landowner in the unit you want to hunt.

Comment

I'll be hunting OTC the opening week of archery season in CO. West of Durango. Hope we do as well as we did last year.

Comment

Russell, you guys spiking out or hunting out of a base camp? Good luck either way buddy! Heck of a bull you got last year!

Comment

Working...
                                X