Missing 18 year POC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Hunter's mother 3 hours ago....

"We as a family are so incredibly grateful for everyone reaching out to volunteer their talents and time for bringing Hunter home. I will just let everyone know what the officials are letting us know as of 1/29/23. They are continuing their efforts with equipment that will be very beneficial in the search. They have expressed that extensive boat activity near where they are working might hinder this effort. So if you are in a boat and see the officials working that area, please steer clear until they are done with that area. As far as divers, it is a safety caution to just dive at will. It has been explained to us that if the officials pick up a target area they will send in their divers. We don’t want anyone to get hurt with the amount of traffic in the ICW and also run the risk of interfering with the officials. We will be very grateful for help once all of the officials efforts have been exhausted. We will let you know. Again thank you!"

Comment

So very sad.

Comment

Terrible.....prayers sent.

Comment

I’m down on the coast today. Wind is ripping . Going to make searching hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            I work on barges several times a month . It’s amazing how quiet those big jokers move through the water . I can definitely see how someone could run into one in dark . That area is notorious for having bad sea fog . Not sure if that was a factor or not . Very tragic accident.
            A buddy and I were slowly cruising down the ICW in Sargent one night after fishing till dark. I had my lights on and were just talking when I heard the sound of water slapping a metal hull. I looked back and maybe 10 yards behind us was a huge barge. I clocked the steering wheel to the left and shoved the throttle all the way down. We shot over to the far shoreline and then he lit us up with his spot light and horn. I don't think he saw us until we shot off to the left. If I didn't look back at that moment he would have crushed my 22 foot bay boat and us with it.

Comment

prayers sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                A buddy and I were slowly cruising down the ICW in Sargent one night after fishing till dark. I had my lights on and were just talking when I heard the sound of water slapping a metal hull. I looked back and maybe 10 yards behind us was a huge barge. I clocked the steering wheel to the left and shoved the throttle all the way down. We shot over to the far shoreline and then he lit us up with his spot light and horn. I don't think he saw us until we shot off to the left. If I didn't look back at that moment he would have crushed my 22 foot bay boat and us with it.

It’s amazing how silent that move . Can sneak up on you fast .

Comment

So what my co- workers are saying is they did run out of fuel . They had friends bring them fuel . The friends took off . And when leaving seen the tug hit the boat with a spot light right before hitting them . Went back and pulled the survivor out of the water . He was face down . His jacket kept him afloat . Supposedly the tug was running with no lights on . Also hearing the tug never slowed down . And kept on going . Not sure if it ever stopped or not .
                  The boys was on their way to go coyote hunting on the island. My co-workers family have been involved in the search . That’s where my info came from .

Comment

The buddy of mine that got hit successfully sued the barge company for the boat. The reason they won was because the pusher never sounded his horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      The buddy of mine that got hit successfully sued the barge company for the boat. The reason they won was because the pusher never sounded his horn.
                      Well that should make the family feel better

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                          Well that should make the family feel better

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                          Just stating some facts that may or may not be useful

Comment

Prayers up for the families - absolutely tragic!

I had a near headon in the ICW down in Louisiana running a 32ft offshore Sportfisher from Nola to Port Aransas. 0100 and running 7 knots on the correct side of the ICW. Big bend ahead about 100yards, cypress trees and stumps on my side and shallow. A long barge/tug was cutting the corner covering my side with only one way to steer, across his path and the far side. Rack was with me, with another down below sleeping, Rack hit him with our spotlight and I laid her over hard with both 200s wide open to the far bank. Had I not made that hard cut on throttles to clear, we would of had to go hard into the cypress and mudflat on our side.

Some of these barges are so long, hundred plus yards before tug, you can't see much of it except the tug lights at night. We were all wide awake and made that run over 3 days, night time along the ICW in Louisiana, away from towns - it's pitch dark and those big rigs suck water off the banks hard. We drafted 6ft - so we didn't have many options except hard aground. Radar would of been nice - didn't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                              Prayers up for the families - absolutely tragic!

I had a near headon in the ICW down in Louisiana running a 32ft offshore Sportfisher from Nola to Port Aransas. 0100 and running 7 knots on the correct side of the ICW. Big bend ahead about 100yards, cypress trees and stumps on my side and shallow. A long barge/tug was cutting the corner covering my side with only one way to steer, across his path and the far side. Rack was with me, with another down below sleeping, Rack hit him with our spotlight and I laid her over hard with both 200s wide open to the far bank. Had I not made that hard cut on throttles to clear, we would of had to go hard into the cypress and mudflat on our side.

Some of these barges are so long, hundred plus yards before tug, you can't see much of it except the tug lights at night. We were all wide awake and made that run over 3 days, night time along the ICW in Louisiana, away from towns - it's pitch dark and those big rigs suck water off the banks hard. We drafted 6ft - so we didn't have many options except hard aground. Radar would of been nice - didn't have it.

Most of the barges I deal with 330ft with out a tug . If strung out they can be 1200 ft it a tow .

Comment

Absolutely horrible all around. Why in the F don't boats use headlights? I know it is illegal but always seemed beyond ignorant law to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X