Protein vs Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
    This is true...unless you got a high fence, killed all the deer in fence, brought in deer with great genetics, never had another deer get in your enclosure to introduce bad genetics

Otherwise on a low fence, you are pissing in the wind trying to control genetics. You have no idea what genetics that doe is carrying and who breeds her. The breeding gets pretty dispersed among bucks in the wild versus a controlled environment

You can control habitat/food and age to a degree minus predators, neighbors, and disease
    I agree, I assumed we were talking about a free range wild herd here.

Also, depends on how much land you are dealing with as well. I know our deer home ranges can be up to 6 square miles.

And, protein feeders might help, but not as much as getting the range conditions to its best potential. This could be improvements to the property or just plain population management. This is the hardest part for most as what I have experienced, most don’t know they carrying capacity and utilization rates.

I would think age would be next.
    Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-28-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I’ve been working on yaupon removal as I can afford it. Biologist mentioned range management as well.

Comment

I got a headache now

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          I got a headache now
          Eat protein!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
            I’ve been working on yaupon removal as I can afford it. Biologist mentioned range management as well.
            On our place, yaupon is a second choice food source. While not preferred, if you are over populated, you may need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Brandon you got a laugh outta one of these post so what’s your take on it?
              Protein takes care of the deer, so the deer can take care of their antlers. Deer can put energy towards surviving or towards antler growth.

Genetics is the #1 most important thing. No debate. That said, you can’t control them on low fence ranches (for the most part). If you have crap genetics on your place, you will not get much out of feeding protein. Even if they do add “inches”, are you ok paying real money turning a 115 into a 120?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                I’m no biologist but I would think genetic code is fixed, and not changed by nutrition.
                I am.

It’s fixed. The exception is tumors.

Comment

One place we hunt we feed protein year round. On this place every doe I see has a fawn with her. The other place I hunt where we do not feed protein I’ve seen numerous does this year without a fawn. Reason enough for me.

On a side note, the place we do feed protein has a very equal buck/doe ratio. I am having a real hard time even seeing a buck that is not broken up this year. There are a few but I would say close to 90% of our bucks are broken, and not just a tine or tip of a beam, whole beams broke off, whole beams almost slick because every time has been broken off. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                    I get your point, but animals and humans aren't the same.

I wish I could find the study b/c I'm an idiot and have no business explaining it.

If I remember correctly :

The study showed (1) mother during pregnancy provided excess nutrition and (1) mother given below average nutrition. Fawn (bucks) were release to have natural forage and the buck with well nourished mother was larger fawn and grew into a much larger buck.

I could be completely full of it but this is what I remember.
                    Study states ". . . greater percentage OFF their genetic potential." If they aren't going to proof the dang propaganda, I'm not putting merit in it.

Could be a solid study. Just not sold. Thanks for tracking the article down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                      Protein takes care of the deer, so the deer can take care of their antlers. Deer can put energy towards surviving or towards antler growth.

Genetics is the #1 most important thing. No debate. That said, you can’t control them on low fence ranches (for the most part). If you have crap genetics on your place, you will not get much out of feeding protein. Even if they do add “inches”, are you ok paying real money turning a 115 into a 120?
                      Boom! A friend of mine said “Bruce a 120” is considered a good buck around here” looks like I just saved some money. I did throw a couple of bags in the feeder earlier this year for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post

You ever see Elgatos thread? I think his deer gained more than 5 inches...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                            You ever see Elgatos thread? I think his deer gained more than 5 inches...

There is truth to his statement, but genetics is only one part of an overall management plan. You cant just single it out.

Your plan has to provide the habitat, nutrition, age structure, etc. for them to reach their full genetic potential. Most places do not do this.

Why would you try to mange genetics, when you might not have even realize what the genetic potential might be?

Comment

We’ve added 20% in horns and probably 15% in body mass to our deer in Lavaca county. Two deer over 150 where previously we had none consistently above 120. Plus lots above 120 now. If we can keep the poachers and neighbors not on our same mindset off them well produce some good bucks. Age and nutrition.

Comment

The second biggest component besides protein/nutrition is age. Many people see areas of the state say the hill country and assume a 120” buck is what the area genetics will allow. In reality the genetics in many areas of the state are much better that what the general consensus is.

As an example we hunt a high fenced property in Kerr county culling does and cull bucks. This ranch is 100% native Kerr county deer with no introduced genetics. They get protein from February-September. The property is not commercially hunted and most of the trophy caliber bucks end up dying of old age.

We start culling at 4.5 and the average cull is 6.5 cull deer are typically 110-130” and what we deem to be the bottom end of each age class

The ranch consistently produces(not to be read as killed) multiple bucks each year 160+ across several age classes from 5.5 to 9+ if they kill a trophy caliber buck it is typically not till 8+ to allow as many breeding seasons as possible. Biggest buck killed to date was a 199” typical for an area with bad genetics

Comment

Working...
                                X