Protein vs Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein vs Genetics

What’s the point of feeding protein if you have average genetics in the bucks? Won’t you wind up with a buck that has a larger inferior rack? Does that make sense? I realize that protein is good for the deer population as far as food goes. What’s yalls take on it?

I don't expect much from a small low fence area. Primary use is to keep the deer visiting my place and attracting any exotics. Corn does the same goal but i like the idea of providing a little better choice in vittles. If anything it seems the drought affected antler growth this year.

Comment

A deer's genetics are pre determined. Protein will never make a buck bigger than it's genetics allow, but feeding deer protein may give them the extra nutrition they need to reach their full genetic potential.

Comment

to maximize the genetics you have. if you are happy with what you have, dont feed. if you feed and still arent happy, go somewhere with bigger deer.

Comment

Your the second brother that suggested that this year regarding drought. I had a biologist out when we bought the place. His take on mineral blocks etc was” if it makes you feel better do it. These deer have been thriving for years. What we call weeds the call food”.

Comment

Average genetics or not, I still want my deer to reach their full genetic potential. Understanding that feeding protein on 1,000 acres low fence lease won't do a ton, but we have seen a big difference in the 5 years since we started.
            I fill the free-choice protein feeder in mid-Dec as our bucks come out of rut. I think it helps their bodies recover quicker, so more nutrition for antler growth in the spring.

Comment

Well the way I see it, they get bigger and fatter and I don't shoot them to eat horns. . . .so protein is going 24/7/365. I do believe protein and supplements and herd management can effect future generations genetic code.

Comment

Get their muscles bigger

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                  Well the way I see it, they get bigger and fatter and I don't shoot them to eat horns. . . .so protein is going 24/7/365. I do believe protein and supplements and herd management can effect future generations genetic code.
                  Did I read this correctly? You are feeding protein to get more meat out of your deer?

Comment

Genetics should be third, maybe even fourth on your management list of things to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Genetics should be third, maybe even fourth on your management list of things to worry about.
                      yep. my first priority would be taking out all the spikes.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        yep. my first priority would be taking out all the spikes.

Comment

body first, horns second. that's why you feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                            someone was looking for you earlier in the seized horns thread....

Comment

Better grub takes the physical pressure off both bucks and does during stress period and birthing & nursing , giving fawns a jumpstart in life

Comment

Working...
                              X