The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWC View Post
    One month for today and I am heading west. Gonna be a long month.

Time to work out, shoot broad heads at 40-50-60 to know your maximum ethical shot distance, and get ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
      One month for today and I am heading west. Gonna be a long month.
      Good luck with rifle season!!!!

I had a good archery season although It was short, had a few call ins and was at full draw a couple times. So I can’t complain

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        Weather change coming up this way folks, Fall is on the way finally. Check your weather forecasts before you pack for the last time.

Leaves are changing here in Laramie right now.
        Aspens by the driveway here just starting to get color as well. Definitely feeling like fall in North Idaho.

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
        Good lord I can't wait for Friday to get here. I am headed to Idaho for my first go at elk.
        Where at in Idaho? PM me if necessary just wondering if it will be near me.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          Good luck with rifle season!!!!

I had a good archery season although It was short, had a few call ins and was at full draw a couple times. So I can’t complain
          That is better than I've done on my 2 archery hunts. Got into bugling bulls inside 50 yards both times. Just thick stuff, swirling wind, rookie mistakes. But I never got to full draw. It is a rush though. Going first rifle this year.

Comment

I booked a private land tag in Unit 37 New Mexico today. Going early October (rifle). Can't wait!

Comment

Can't wait to hear about it Shane. I'll be just south in 36 at the end of October.

Back in the exercise routine now following a wedding and lingering reaction to the fouchie ouchie. Going this weekend or next to Ruidoso to hike a bit and get the lay of the land. Will let me know where I'm at regarding fitness with 5 weeks to go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I got back late Saturday night, but it’s been tough to update the thread. Long story short, I stuck a really good bull but hit him a little forward. He was walking and stopped right when I released arrow. I thought he would walk right into it but my guide said he stopped without me knowing. He said very conservatively was a 330+ Bull with 7 on the one side we saw. I didn’t see him until he was in me peep.

We backed out to give him time. Taking up the trail we had decent blood for about 900 yards until we lost it. What we didn’t know was on our way out around the mountain, we jumped a bull that turned out to be close to where we lost blood so we think we accidentally jumped him. We grid searched for a day but nothing so very bummed I lost him.

Outside of losing the elk, it was bad ***. I learned a ton and was able to physically handle the 8-9 miles a day up and down elevation. I am already looking forward to my next trip.

Comment

Any rut reports from NW Colorado? Ill be heading up there the end of next week.

Comment

Dang it, Heath! When it happens to somebody else, you always say, "Don't worry about it, man. It happens. That's bowhunting......."

But when it happens to you, it SUCKS. Heartbreaking. Frustrating. And motivating to kill the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      I booked a private land tag in Unit 37 New Mexico today. Going early October (rifle). Can't wait!
                      I love hunting here in 37! Should be good, it’s beautiful in the fall. Hope you get a big one! TBHrs are 2 for 2 in 37 this season.

Comment

Anyone hunting or have hunted unit 50 Colorado archery elk? I start my hunt on Monday w my dad. We both have tags.
                        We are pretty familiar w the area but not from elk hunting. I’m feeling confident but who doesn’t at the beginning of any Trip

Comment

Danger, Heath! I've been wondering where you've been. Sorry you didn't bring him home!

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                            I love hunting here in 37! Should be good, it’s beautiful in the fall. Hope you get a big one! TBHrs are 2 for 2 in 37 this season.
                            I hunt Jan in 37 when ever I can draw. I had a Aoudad tag last year too and had to eat it do to the storm here.

Love me some 37 but I can’t draw a elk tag there or 36 to save my life
                            Last edited by Texans42; 09-14-2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I've never hunted in New Mexico before, so I'm trying to get the rules straight. Last thing I want is a fine. Would you guys who hunt NM confirm what I'm understanding, please?

1. Blaze orange NOT required for a rifle elk hunt on private land. (Only required on military properties and Valles Caldera, right?)

2. Tagging a cow elk - carcass tag attached to a hock (if not boned out) OR kept with the boned out meat (not physically attached, just kept with the meat)

3. Tagging a bull elk - carcass tag same as for cow elk above, PLUS antler tag attached to base of antler

4. Proof of sex (cow elk) - must be accompanied by either the scalp and both ears (so the whole head isn't required, just scalp skin with ears attached is good?) or the external genitalia naturally attached to one quarter (similar to Colorado)

5. Proof of sex (bull elk) - antlers attached to skull or skull plate is all you need, correct?

6. Mandatory harvest reporting after your hunt. Any deadline on when it has to be done?

What else do I need to be aware of?
                              Last edited by Shane; 09-14-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

All of you headed to Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado need to watch this weather podcast, big changes coming next week : https://dayweatherpodcast.com/

Be prepared for cold and first significant snow of the season.

Good luck, it should be great for the hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X