Old fridge smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old fridge smoker

I have had this thing in my way for 15 years at least.
    I had
    an idea that I would restore it ( nice but not working condition) at some point
    However I am going to be doing my own processing this year for the first time and I think I am going to make this thing a smoker. Electric hot plate below the actual box for smoke
    And a constant temp with vent stack on top.
    What do y’all think and I’d appreciate any input as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no plastic, it’s all porcelain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gonna watch this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m thinking when done I should be able to hang 30-40 links.
        It’s insulated so I might be able to control the temp fairly good as well.
        I probably won’t start on the build until next week

Comment

I'm in on this one...... Always wanted to do one of those myself just lookinf for the right fridge

Comment

I was thinking of running a electric oven element with thermostat for heat source under a plate with small smoke box on top

Comment

dumb question/statement, but does porcelain give off any harmful chemicals when heated?

Comment

My grandpa had a smoker built from an old refrigerator like that. I was so young I can’t remember how he had it set up. But I believe he had a fire box on it and used wood

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                  dumb question/statement, but does porcelain give off any harmful chemicals when heated?
                  I don’t think so. I did see a vid on YouTube that mentioned their fridge had porcelain inside and they were selling theirs.

I have a brinkman electric smoker. I plan to use the element on that to make smoke on this project. I believe it will keep the box about 225

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                    I was thinking of running a electric oven element with thermostat for heat source under a plate with small smoke box on top
                    There are a few YouTube vids where they buy $12 hot plates that make smoke and keep bot a constant remp

Comment

I just don’t know how big of a vent hole on top I should make. 3” or bigger

Comment

Might need to use the entire control system from that Brinkman. Some type of PID controller to turn the element on and off, along with a thermocouple of some type in order to give the PID controller the required input so it knows what the temperature is.

Comment

I made one years ago out of an old Kelvinator refrigerator. It worked great. I stored it outside and it eventually rusted beyond a point to where I wanted to fix it.

Following...

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                            Might need to use the entire control system from that Brinkman. Some type of PID controller to turn the element on and off, along with a thermocouple of some type in order to give the PID controller the required input so it knows what the temperature is.

I’ll see if I can find something that would work

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              I made one years ago out of an old Kelvinator refrigerator. It worked great. I stored it outside and it eventually rusted beyond a point to where I wanted to fix it.

Following...
                              My dads uncle had one as well when I was to young to understand I needed to ask how it Worked

Comment

Working...
                              X