Draw Weight for Women, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Weight for Women, what to do?

So I jumped into this head first this past year and I'm loving it. My wife killed a buck with a crossbow in October but she's making the jump to compound before next fall. She's a fairly small statured woman at only 5'2". I bought her a carbon rose for Christmas and set it up nicely. She can draw and fire one arrow but she doesn't have strength to repeat that. So do I have continue to have her draw the one time and fire daily or do I back this bow off? I think we've already taken it down further than we really wanted to.

Originally posted by Flyway12 View Post
    So I jumped into this head first this past year and I'm loving it. My wife killed a buck with a crossbow in October but she's making the jump to compound before next fall. She's a fairly small statured woman at only 5'2". I bought her a carbon rose for Christmas and set it up nicely. She can draw and fire one arrow but she doesn't have strength to repeat that. So do I have continue to have her draw the one time and fire daily or do I back this bow off? I think we've already taken it down further than we really wanted to.
    Yes back it off until she can shoot more than once. My ex started out pulling like 45 pounds and after enough practice/repetition she was yanking back 58~ lbs without any issues.

Comment

It would help if you told us what weight she is drawing right now.

The 3 ladies that draw a bow at my lease draw in the 42-45 lb range and kill deer every year. I know one started out at 30 and worked her way up. My brother started his girlfriend off at 61 and while she could draw it and bragged about it, she looked like the Tasmanian Devil drawing it. No way she could get drawn without getting busted. We backed her back to 50 lbs and she has since killed a deer and a hog with her bow.

Now is the time to build up those bow muscles...everyday draw once...then rest and draw in five minutes if that's what it takes.

Comment

Bought my wife her first bow last year (also a petite thing), she started at around 32-35lbs. Once daylight savings comes back around when its not dark when I get home from work, we will start putting in reps to get her draw weight up to at least 40 hopefully. She is shooting the Elite Ember, pretty sweet bow so far.

Comment

Back it down and shoot regularly, it will not take her long to develop technique and work the right muscles to add easily 10 lbs to her pull. Work her technique, it has much to do with it.

Comment

So I ordered a scale to use at my place so I don't have to drive an hour every time I need something adjusted by my bow tech (he's awesome though). That rose has draw weight settings at 40-50-60. To my knowledge we're at 40. If the bottom end draw weight on the bow is 40 lbs, is it safe to take it down below that?

Comment

Hmmm - I don't know if you can. I bet somewhere there are published exercises to help. Buy a cheap used burner bow with lower draw weight to get her there?

Comment

So I ordered a scale to use at my place so I don't have to drive an hour every time I need something adjusted by my bow tech (he's awesome though). That rose has draw weight settings at 40-50-60. To my knowledge we're at 40. If the bottom end draw weight on the bow is 40 lbs, is it safe to take it down below that?

Blake....this is not going to help now, but I would have started a female with a bow that started at 25-30 and adjusted to 50.. That 40 at the bottom of that bow could be her max comfortably.

on edit...I hope what Bowtech2010 says below is the case for your sake..
                Last edited by Smart; 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

40 50 and 60 are the max. The sticker on the bottom limb should tell you what the max is. They should back off 10-12 lbs. EX. 40 down to 28-30.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
                    40 50 and 60 are the max. The sticker on the bottom limb should tell you what the max is. They should back off 10-12 lbs. EX. 40 down to 28-30.
                    I'll check it when I get home this evening. Didn't realize that's what that meant but I'll be the absolute first to admit I'm extremely limited in my knowledge on this stuff. I know bird hunting of all kinds though if anybody has a question lol.

Comment

Never ask a woman her weight.

Comment

The two women in my house are comfortable at about 45 lbs after shooting for awhile.
                        Started both of them in the low 30's just to get reps.
                        Both shoot mission bows that have I think 15 to 60lb adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am of no help but I watched a lady on a hunting show a couple weeks back and she was after Cape buffalo . She was pulling 76 pounds and shooting 900 grain arrows. Think Ill just call her mam!lol

Comment

Ashton started out drawing 40# and now hunts with 50# and kills allot of animals at that poundage.

Rwc

Comment

having owned a shop for 12 years I found most women top out at about 50#,,,, look at the limbs and see if they are bottomed out, if the are scred all the way down back it off three turns and let her try it there,,,, fyi when you back the limb pressure off the draw length does increase a bit, so check to see if she can get behind the peep sight comfortably and make sure she has not rolled her elbow in so far that she might get hit by the string on release,,,, these things are not likely but they are possible, especially if she is maxed out on draw length,,,, also by shortening the draw length a bit full draw is a little easier to get to

Comment

Working...
                              X