Best Sony lens for Waterfowl hunting and bird photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Sony lens for Waterfowl hunting and bird photography

Questions for those that do bird and waterfowl photography.

I am wanting to jump on the duck hunting photography wagon and was curious what lens you guys would go with when it comes to Sony

100-400 f4.5-5.6 --> https://www.sony.com/electronics/cam...es/sel100400gm

70-200 f2.8 --> https://www.sony.com/electronics/cam...ses/sel70200gm

I am extremely torn between better light gathering or longer length and cant decide. All input is appreciated.

In general, the 70-200 (regardless of manufacturer) is the holy grail of lenses and all serious photographers should own one. However, it's just not ideal reach for wildlife.

Though that 100-400 is light hungry, its reach is your best bet for wildlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      In general, the 70-200 (regardless of manufacturer) is the holy grail of lenses and all serious photographers should own one. However, it's just not ideal reach for wildlife.

Though that 100-400 is light hungry, its reach is your best bet for wildlife.
      Appreciate it sir. Have a 70-200 f4 and currently thinking to upgrade that to a 2.8 as the Mrs. Bday Gift then try and convince her to get me the 100-400

Comment

Follow Tgoody and TAG outdoors. That’s what he uses and gets some amazing shots.

Comment

Duck hunting photos likely wouldn't require this but I would go Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS, don't be afraid of the 6.3. Also if you shoot at lower length it will open wider. Remind me which body you are using?

Most all recent shots are taken with this lens. I can use the 100-400 on the a6400 to achieve 600mm as well.

Near dark at my house, ISO 12,800

I just shot alot of low light shots on Bolivar this past week. This is one and I went down to 1/1250s to keep a lower ISO of 640.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            Duck hunting photos likely wouldn't require this but I would go Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS, don't be afraid of the 6.3. Also if you shoot at lower length it will open wider. Remind me which body you are using?

Most all recent shots are taken with this lens. I can use the 100-400 on the a6400 to achieve 600mm as well.

Near dark at my house, ISO 12,800

I just shot alot of low light shots on Bolivar this past week. This is one and I went down to 1/1250s to keep a lower ISO of 640.

A7iii and A7iiiR

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              A7iii and A7iiiR
              I have to tell you as the owner of an a7RIII myself, you will not like the miss rate of attempted duck in flight photos. I know the firmware has been greatly improved but it still doesn't match the ability of the a9. I rarely pull it out for my bird photography anymore. I think you would be happy with the 200-600 plus it's $500 less than the 100-400. I would seriously consider attempting to sell one of your bodies and buying a used a9 if you can. It is a serious action body. My advice as an experienced Sony user.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                I have to tell you as the owner of an a7RIII myself, you will not like the miss rate of attempted duck in flight photos. I know the firmware has been greatly improved but it still doesn't match the ability of the a9. I rarely pull it out for my bird photography anymore. I think you would be happy with the 200-600 plus it's $500 less than the 100-400. I would seriously consider attempting to sell one of your bodies and buying a used a9 if you can. It is a serious action body. My advice as an experienced Sony user.
                I knew this whole ordeal would only get more and more expensive! Lol

Really appreciate the help guys.

Which the f stop being fairly high how long are y’all having to wait after sunrise to be able to take quality photos?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  I knew this whole ordeal would only get more and more expensive! Lol

Really appreciate the help guys.

Which the f stop being fairly high how long are y’all having to wait after sunrise to be able to take quality photos?

Thanks

This particular gallery has a number of shots taken at almost dark which would compare to early light. Look at some of the photos (3 horizontal lines on the left) to see the settings I used. Some very high ISOs and lower than you might expect shutter speeds.

Comment

Here are a few of mine all on a Sony A7iii with 200-600. At 5.6 you can shoot at daybreak and get away with editing in post but shoot RAW not jpeg. But really its best to wait when the sun comes up maybe 7am.

Comment

Working...
                    X