No announcement yet.

Big spike buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing personal. I apologize to anyone I have offended.
    I have killed a spike or 2 in my day.
    I'm sure others have as well.
    Hopefully we all learned something today.

Comment

That deer is legal all day long and twice in Sunday in an AR county. Point has to be 1" to be a point. Nice 3 pt! Will eat good.

The OP maybe needs to take alot of deer off his place.... We don't know...So maybe he is benefitting his herd. Again we don't know. Oh and several AR counties can't shoot a doe in the general season. I hunt one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Oh and several AR counties can't shoot a doe in the general season. I hunt one of them.
        Do you know what the thinking is behind this? Makes zero sense to me. A good friend hunts a county like this.

Comment

We have more bucks than does where I hunt. So much that the state allows 3 bucks.
          What do I do in that situation? Kill more does? Or shoot a cruddy buck every now and then?

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            We have more bucks than does where I hunt. So much that the state allows 3 bucks.
            What do I do in that situation? Kill more does? Or shoot a cruddy buck every now and then?
            Choot them cruddy ones!

Comment

Who said this is a cruddy buck? I am in no way saying anything bad about the OP. I've shot a couple that looked the same. That was because I wanted meat and thats what the landowner told me I could shoot. But IMO every big buck had to start somewhere right?

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                Choot them cruddy ones!
                Agreed! Shakes hand.
                I can feel a real friendship brewing here....

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                  Do you know what the thinking is behind this? Makes zero sense to me. A good friend hunts a county like this.
                  I really don't know what the heck they are thinking. I emailed TPWD about it last year and just got the typical answers from them like sign up for MLD or join a Wildlife Co-op. I told them my place was too small for MLD and in my experience the Co-op may not even give me a tag on such small acreage (37). I need to shoot more than one doe anyway. The problem is no one shoots a doe in the area I hunt. We are overrun with them just like the hill country.

I wish we would go to an "earn a buck" system like some Midwest States where you have to shoot a doe before you can get a buck tag.

Comment

So for a buck to be considered a spike it has to have at least one unbranched antler , what constitutes a "BRANCH" . One could say that this deer has both branched antlers ? couldn't it?

Comment

Unbranched antler means a main beam without another point one inch long on it.

Comment

Nice job! Its your land and your hunt so you do what you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                          Who said this is a cruddy buck? I am in no way saying anything bad about the OP. I've shot a couple that looked the same. That was because I wanted meat and thats what the landowner told me I could shoot. But IMO every big buck had to start somewhere right?
                          Nobody said this was a cruddy buck!
                          I diverted the thread and I'm sorry for that. I had changed topics to where I hunt and we have cruddy bucks that we bust on sight.
                          I believe the first set of horns a deer grows is NOT the set you want to judge them by. No doubt about that.
                          I'm going to have to give you a hug if you don't watch out Fajkus!

Comment

Congratulations man. Gonna be great eating.

Don't let all of the professional hunters on here get you down. None of them have ever killed a spike or a fork horn under any circumstances I'm sure.

Heaven forbid a guy kills a spike in Texas. I figure we will run out any day now.
                            Interesting.
                            Hey I'm just trying to help the guy. If he truly wants to "help the herd out" then he doesn't need to continue to shoot bucks like that. It will do way more damage than good but hey!!! That's is all.
                            Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                              Actually, from a legal standpoint, that IS a spike. Just saying..........
                              Exactly, a point has to be an inch long to be counted.

Comment

Nobody said this was a cruddy buck!
                                I diverted the thread and I'm sorry for that. I had changed topics to where I hunt and we have cruddy bucks that we bust on sight.
                                I believe the first set of horns a deer grows is NOT the set you want to judge them by. No doubt about that.
                                I'm going to have to give you a hug if you don't watch out Fajkus!
                                Alright im cool with that! Just got a little confused on what we were talking about here. Right now I need a hug... or just to find my deer. That would make me feel better too

Comment

Working...
                                X