X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no Dale butbim getting a few.

Set, Catch, Remake

Comment

I thought I would post up a couple of our pics from this weekend we did some trapping and calling and ended up with 1 Coyote (our first), 4 coons, 1 opossum, and two skunks. We also managed to call in and shoot 10 crows
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Texan. I ran traps two nights this weekend and ended up with 9 coons. That makes 31 this month in 4 nights of trapping. I will keep working on them and maybe I can thin them out or at least get them to stay out of the feed pens.

Comment

Need some help!
          I'm new to trapping and got some traps to start off. Have a huge cutover and a big dirt road on there. I went along it looking for places I make sets and found a lot of yote poop on the road so put out 2 sets. A flat set and dirt hole set about 10 yards away from each other. Well I let it set for 2 days and just checked them and it looked like something was there but looked at the camera and there was only a long beard on there. Should I give it time and let the traps set and keep checking them or move them?

Comment

Just keep them there they will come back may take a couple of days but they will

Comment

pulled down another off the above remake.. great stuff

Last edited by Leftridge; 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

GYFA, are you using scents with your sets? I am trapping with The Texan, we are using a combo of fox and coyote predator bait, coyote gland, and coyote urine. Hawbacker and Grawes are the brands, I forget which is which. That gland stuff though... definitely only need a little dab of the stuff, it is strong smelling.

I am not sure if the combo of scents and baits that we are using is good, but we had one catch in two nights on 6 traps, and had a second trap either dug out or pulled out of, but it was 'investigated.'

Question #1
                We caught 2 skunks, one each night, and Im hoping the experts can chime in why. What scent are we using that is bringing them in? My guess is that it is the R-P fox/coyote bait, not the coyote gland or urine but that is just a hunch. On Saturday night we had a skunk in a #3 by 10pm... Somewhat frustrating.

Also, I didn't have an acetone pole, but if I did I don't think I could have gotten close enough to use it.. I tried but they didn't like me getting to close. Our technique was .22 to the head and run, and come remove the following day.

Question #2
                We used a Duke #3 trap, and that small female coyote was worn down pretty dang bad on her paw. You can see it in the picture that The Texan posted. Is this trap too big for a dog that size? What could we do to prevent that from happening? I have seen the DIYs of welding a wire or piece of metal onto the jaw to widen the area of applied pressure
                Last edited by Patton; 02-25-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

The General, on the dirt hole I used coyote urine and put a piece of meat in there yesterday when I checked them. On the flat I used fox glad, and yes it's strong. Are those sets overdoing it with to many sticks or what?

Comment

The scenery

Comment

I don't know if I'll be of much help to answer your question about the foot being torn up, cause I'm new as well. Three of the 4 I have caught the last week had virtually no damage to the paw. I'm using MB650 & 550s offset 4coils. The one I caught yesterday had really bad paw damage. So I don't know.. I had this particular trap attached to a very short cable. I wonder if it had to much slack to really pull on the trap and that's how the damage happened.

I have started shooting everything through the lungs, except the yote. Its 50/50 for me if the skunk will spray when shot through the lungs, but 100% spray if shot through the head. I have not caught any skunks in my foot traps. I catch them in the dogproofs when I use the wrong bait. One time I used cocco puffs cause that's all I had and one time it was tuna. I'll only use marshmellows from now on.

I'm using Cavens preditor bait plus, Cavens Violator 7, Canine Force, Yodel Dog, and Feline Fix. MB Brand Urine Red Fox and Yote.

I'm having good success I think. Sometimes I bait the hole, sometimes I just use an empty hole with urine and lure, and of course flat sets with just urine and lure.

I'm about to add some Dobbins backbreaker and Perrfect specifically for bobcats.

Comment

We started our coon onslaught this week. 10 thus far and these 2 this morning. Our Trapper will be here Monday to start on the coyotes and bobcats. Hoping for some big results.

Comment

Yall doing some good - keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                            Question #2
                            We used a Duke #3 trap, and that small female coyote was worn down pretty dang bad on her paw. You can see it in the picture that The Texan posted. Is this trap too big for a dog that size? What could we do to prevent that from happening? I have seen the DIYs of welding a wire or piece of metal onto the jaw to widen the area of applied pressure

Did she have the trap all tangled up? I've caught them in duke #4 4 coils with no damage.... Most of the time if there is damage to the foot, the trap got tangled up and the swivels stop working...

If you look at my post in the DIY i have 3 pictures of coons caught with the duke #4 and they had no damage at all. I caught a coon with a duke 1.5 this morning, He was tangled up on a log and broke his leg.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                              Did she have the trap all tangled up? I've caught them in duke #4 4 coils with no damage.... Most of the time if there is damage to the foot, the trap got tangled up and the swivels stop working...

If you look at my post in the DIY i have 3 pictures of coons caught with the duke #4 and they had no damage at all. I caught a coon with a duke 1.5 this morning, He was tangled up on a log and broke his leg.
                              That trap was not tangled up but we have not added any swivels we just have the standard duke #3 with off set jaws connected to a disposable stake. Should we add on additional swivel?
                              Last edited by The Texan; 02-26-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I've always added a swivel at the stake or drag, midway between the stake/drag and the trap and another one at the trap to reduce any binding or the chain or cable becoming tangled and then the animal is uable to swivel, thus causing damage to its foot and/or possibly pulling out.

Comment

Working...
                                X