No announcement yet.

High priced AR buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow that is not good....sucks but what can u do!

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH
      Really, are these wardens really going to be like that? He actually checked it. Do you have pics of the buck? I think that is a case of a warden throwing his **** around to try to see how big it is. What a jerk? I mean, who does that. It is like giving a ticket for going 75 in a 70.

****** me off. That warden probably got beat up as a little kid and now he is taking it out on others, because he can.
      Yep, they are called laws not guidlines no matter how much of a temper tantrum you throw.

In both cases the officer is just doing his job. He can't use discretion legally. It is what it is. 13" means 13" and 70 means 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
        I agree with the AR's but with one minor tweek that maybe needs to be implemented. Keep the 13" rule, but allow maybe a 1/4" variance since it's so hard to judge (I also agree with the "if it's close, don't shoot" mentality). I mean come on, have an allowance to say you get "probation" for 2 years if you shoot one thats only 12 3/4, so if you get caught with another one smaller than 13" for two years, you get double fined. Something along that lines, or even a smaller fine if it's between 12 3/4 and 13". Just so people don't get slammed with major fines for one that's JUUUUUUSSSSSSSTTTTTTT under the limit.

Fire away........
        This would just encourage people to shoot smaller deer, like going 75 in a 70 gonna try and get away with what you can. Just dont shoot any deer that are close orbe prepared to spend some extra cash. Kinda like in baseball if you have 2 strikes and it close swing, if you think he is close to 13 show some restraint.

Comment

I somewhat agree with AR, but everyone has to follow the rules. I have seen more bucks this year than in some years past, but none over 13". I don't feel that the GW should give any leeway on the measurement. 13" is 13". What I do think what the GW needs to take into consideration is the length of the deer's ears. In the rule book it states that a good way to live judge a deer is to have deer with ears in alert position, and if inside width is outside the ear tips, then more than likely it will measure over 13". The one buck on our lease that fit this description had one ear 2" shorter than the other. Measured right at 13".
          I did hear of a case where a hunter took jaw bone to a biologist and had it aged and proved it was a 4.5 y/o deer and antlers were almost at their best. Judge was lenient on the fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH
            Really, are these wardens really going to be like that? He actually checked it. Do you have pics of the buck? I think that is a case of a warden throwing his **** around to try to see how big it is. What a jerk? I mean, who does that. It is like giving a ticket for going 75 in a 70.

****** me off. That warden probably got beat up as a little kid and now he is taking it out on others, because he can.
            75mph in 70,thats like keeping 15 fish,when the limit is 10!They are both
            breaking the law.
            I think its a case of the warden doing his job.

Comment

Law was broken.

As for the fine, the gw can write a ticket in a few different ways. Some write it as killing an animal out of season, as there is no season on a buck under 13". Restitution is the big part of the fine, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

In both cases the officer is just doing his job. He can't use discretion legally. It is what it is.
                can you quote the law/reg/rule that states this???? Because it ain't so... Any and all LEOs can, and do, use discretion all the time. That buck is EXACTLY where officer discretion SHOULD of been used.

I'm not a police officer/GW nor did I spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did retire five years ago as a 26 year GW.........does that count????

troy

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                  can you quote the law/reg/rule that states this???? Because it ain't so... Any and all LEOs can, and do, use discretion all the time. That buck is EXACTLY where officer discretion SHOULD of been used.

I'm not a police officer/GW nor did I spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express, but I did retire five years ago as a 26 year GW.........does that count????

troy
                  My point being is if he does it for someone, then he pretty much has to do it for everyone. His job is to enforce the written law. He can open himself up for problems if he starts making judgment call and someone calls him on it.

If the officer decides to do that then he does it at his own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by BigErn View Post
                    75mph in 70,thats like keeping 15 fish,when the limit is 10!They are both
                    breaking the law.
                    I think its a case of the warden doing his job.
                    I agree, the warden is doing his job. But 15 fish with a 10 fish limit would be like driving 105mph when the limit is 70 .

Comment

The warden is just doing what we ALL expect him to do, enforce the law. Do the crime - do the time.

Comment

Any and all LEOs can, and do, use discretion all the time.
                        In my opinion they should use discretion, as should the judges that hand out fines, etc. There are also some LEO and wardens out there that would give their own wife a ticket. I suspect there is more to this story than we know.

Comment

What if the deers ears aren't 13".

Ears in alert position are approximately 13 inches apart and may be used to judge the inside spread. <-- straight from TPWD rule.

Comment

Are the tape measures used by GWs verified to be 100% accurate? I have seen many measurement tools that have not been spot-on accurate. When you factor in this with the human error associated with measuring the distance between 2 ill-defined points, 1/4" is well within the range of error.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom II View Post
                              This again...

it does stink but for the most part it is really working...
                              just like any other law. if you dont follow them and get caught, be prepared to pay the fine.

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
                              I understand the frustration but the AR will have more benefit in the long run. The way I see it the game warden did not make the law but he is paid to enforce it. Maybe they will tweak the law and include a total BC score as a variable.
                              yep

Originally posted by Keithb View Post
                              What if the deers ears aren't 13".

Ears in alert position are approximately 13 inches apart and may be used to judge the inside spread. <-- straight from TPWD rule.
                              yep, that is just a guide. It doesnt say this is a stead fast way to judge antler width. if you aint sure, dont shoot.

Comment

We posed the question about "what if the ears aren't 13"?" One of the GW said he didn't care how wide the ears are, if the spread is any less than 13", a ticket would be given. IMO, he took away the only field judging tool listed in the rule book.

Comment

Working...
                                X