No announcement yet.

Protein Feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably spend more money on protein than Antonio Cromartie does on child support--but I am aware of its limitations. Protein can really help your deer herd but it's is only part of an overall management program--and it's a--[wait for it]--supplement. There are lots of theories out there about when to feed and most of everyone is constrained by a budget. Of course it's more beneficial to feed year round. Some folks say it's a waste to feed protein while bucks have hard horns--but I don't think they take into account the damage that chasing women for a month straight with no sleep does to a man's body. If bucks don't get the nutrition (and supplements) they need during the rut (and right after it), most of them will be playing catch up during the spring and summer to get their bodies in shape--which is detrimental to horn growth.

That being said, any extra nutrients you provide to your herd is better than nothing. I think all the guys on here agree with that--but the difference of opinion lies in the value one perceives relative to the time and money spent to do so.

I know this thread is about protein, but the most important factor in helping a buck reach its full potential is AGE--and that doesn't matter where you hunt, the size of your hunting ground, or what genetic potential you have. If your fellow lease members or hunting neighbors are not of the same mind it doesn't matter how much protein you put out--your deer will never reach their full potential. Yes, you may kill some 3.5-5.5 year old bucks that are bigger than they should be (on a protein program), but poor age management is usually what will keep you from breaking into that level of trophy hunting where everyone wants to be.

Comment

We start the beginning of January. It helps the bucks start to put weight back on even during the rut. It seems to have them healthier when they start to grow horns. It also keeps them from going to the neighbors.

Comment

I start in January and end in December.
        I make it available and let them decide.

Comment

Working...
        X