Water pump help/question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump help/question

I have a 3” trash pump. It moves way too much water too fast. Even when I idle it down it’s too much. I have a 1.5” pump that’s garbage. Is it possible for me to reduce the intake on the 3” pump to use the 1.5” intake hose? I’m trying to slow the rate down on the pump. I worried about putting too much strain on the pump from restricting it. Has anyone tried this before??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
    I have a 3” trash pump. It moves way too much water too fast. Even when I idle it down it’s too much. I have a 1.5” pump that’s garbage. Is it possible for me to reduce the intake on the 3” pump to use the 1.5” intake hose? I’m trying to slow the rate down on the pump. I worried about putting too much strain on the pump from restricting it. Has anyone tried this before??

We used the Honda's at work and never had much success slowing things down...prime, flow, stop, repeat.

Not a direct answer to your question; but I ordered a Wayne "Water Bug" (electric) pump from Amazon and it has no issues priming and takes the water done to 1/4 inch or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustythebeagle View Post
      We used the Honda's at work and never had much success slowing things down...prime, flow, stop, repeat.

Not a direct answer to your question; but I ordered a Wayne "Water Bug" (electric) pump from Amazon and it has no issues priming and takes the water done to 1/4 inch or less.

I was worried about burning the pump up running it like that. It will suck for about 3 seconds, get air, then take about 30sec to prime and repeat.

Comment

Would probably burn up pump. Need to find a smaller pump

Comment

Why don't you just put a restriction in the discharge? (AKA valve)... What is your application? What are you pumping out of, into, and purpose?

Comment

As long as it is pumping it will stay cool enough. Can restrict either side. Restriction on discharge will create high pressure discharge . Restricted suction will reduce volume and discharge pressure. Just remember that as long as the pump is moving water, it should be cool to the touch. If not pumping it will get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
              As long as it is pumping it will stay cool enough. Can restrict either side. Restriction on discharge will create high pressure discharge . Restricted suction will reduce volume and discharge pressure. Just remember that as long as the pump is moving water, it should be cool to the touch. If not pumping it will get hot.
              That is only the case between the restriction and the pump. Downstream of the restriction, there will be less flow.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Why don't you just put a restriction in the discharge? (AKA valve)... What is your application? What are you pumping out of, into, and purpose?

I’m pumping out my front ditch. I have dug a hole in the ditch to get the screen deeper but it still sucks air. Also lugging around those 3” hoses are a pain when I need to get it all setup quick. I wound like to reduce the intake to 1.5” to slow the pump and make the whole setup lighter.

Comment

It won't harm the pump as long as it's not sucking in air and cavitating. The pump will be running off its curve but should be good for what you want. The best thing to do is repair 1.5 and use it.

After thinking about it again it could damage the pump by reducing the suction, use discharge valve to regulate flow or resize impeller/pump.
                  Last edited by deerplanter; 06-25-2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    I’m pumping out my front ditch. I have dug a hole in the ditch to get the screen deeper but it still sucks air. Also lugging around those 3” hoses are a pain when I need to get it all setup quick. I wound like to reduce the intake to 1.5” to slow the pump and make the whole setup lighter.

Takes up some space in storage but we built carts that could hold the pump, a gas can, and two hose spools, that way you could wheel them out and get up and running ASAP.

Comment

Don’t change any thing on the suction side of the pump or throttle suction with a valve. This will cause cavitation. To slow flow add a discharge valve. The pump is likely running out on the curve if you have a short discharge pipe run. Throttling with a valve will pull it back to the left on the curve giving you less flow. Don’t run the pump blocked in and you will be fine. Been working with pumps my whole career.

Comment

I would throttle the discharge as others have stated. If you must restrict the intake, make sure you restrict the discharge more.

Comment

You could also plumb in a bypass on the discharge and circulate it back to the intake. this will help keep it primed and restrict your flow as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X