Trail Cams on Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail Cams on Public Land

I'm planning to go out to Caddo National Grasslands next weekend to deposit a few trail cameras. I found a dandy area last season, but wasn't in the right tree.

My plan is to place them 10-12 feet up into trees to avoid theft and get a good vantage point.

I wanted to get some info from my fellow public land hunters.

1) Do you use trail cams on public land?

2) What measures do you take to keep them from being stolen?

3) Have you ever had one stolen?

If you put cameras out just don't be surprised when they are not there when you come back.

Turkey hunters will be out soon.

Comment

I have put one cam on public land. I walked 2 miles into the middle of nowhere and put it on a trail hid well where there appeared to be no human sign. 2 weeks later I came back to Kansas and it was gone. 1 for 1 and I'm done.

Comment

I wouldn't do it.
        If you have to put one put then uses the cheapest one you can find.

Comment

I have and I camo my cameras before I put them out. I glue bark and fake plants some time to them to break up the normal squared off shape. I have had pictures of people on my cameras just walking right past them and never noticed them. But I only use the cheap ones for that so I'm not out much if they do get stolen

Comment

I've got two WI 8X cameras ($80 each) that I plan to put out. I'd obviously like to not lose them, but I'm not out a ton of cash if they get swiped. I'm taking a harness and lineman's belt to get them up in the trees. I like the idea of using some fake foliage to break up the outlines. Gonna have to steal that one.

Comment

I have had so many stolen I have lost count. Use a cheap camera is all I can recommend. I usually wait until July so I have some horns to look at.

Comment

I use them a lot on public land.

I place all of my cameras at least 12' up, sometimes up to 15' with 2 climbing sticks.

I always make sure Im further back than most people like to scout/hunt.

I use the browning strikeforce cameras. The battery life is exceptional.

I run 3-4 cameras at any given point on public land during the summer up until about mid/late August then take them out, sometimes leaving 1 camera if I'm following a good deer.

Loosing cameras is just part of the game on public land. 2014 season I didn't loose a camera. in 2015 I lost 2 cameras. One was stolen and one was likely chopped up when TPWD thinned out small trees in an area I had set up. I never found any parts to the camera, but I did find about 3' of shredded strap. At lease it wasn't stolen.

Comment

Put out Wild Game Innovations. No one would steel that crap

Comment

I put one out at Whitney and it was out for 2 months,still have it

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                      This lol. At least no one who's tried one

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                        NOT necessarily true.. I had 2 and never had a problem with them..

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
                          I remember their older models from 2009ish, they took C batteries and could be bought in packs of 2. We bought 2 two-packs and not ONE worked.

But then I went to academy this past fall and bought their cheaper $75 camera and scored some great photos, until someone stole it.
                          Last edited by Champlaya7; 03-29-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                            I've got two WI 8X cameras ($80 each) that I plan to put out. I'd obviously like to not lose them, but I'm not out a ton of cash if they get swiped. I'm taking a harness and lineman's belt to get them up in the trees. I like the idea of using some fake foliage to break up the outlines. Gonna have to steal that one.
                            That should work fine, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Bring a few climbing sticks to get up there. Can go to big lots or something and buy some fake vines and wrap that around it so you don't have to saw anything and change the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post

I bought 6 cams one year when bass pro had a sale. 2 weeks later I took them all back and got my money back. I thought the more expensive cameras would be better so I upgraded. Worst pictures I've ever had. Took them back too. Bought a halo range finder. It was junk. Bought a complete WGI caster last year. Never worked. Even their friggen batteries were junk. Your opinion to me being favor of their equipment falls on deaf ears sir. I buy absolutely nothing with WGI stamped on it. Good for you if you found something that worked!

Comment

Working...
                              X