No announcement yet.

sommerville wma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you leave a stand up on the WMA there is always someone who thinks it is theirs. I have heard that the GW will also remove them.
    usually not the game warden but the one of the corp of engineers rangers, they almost always do a sweep the week before the season starts to remove all the illegal feeders/ and stands, you would be surprised how many idiots go in there and with a box of nails and plywood and try to set up permanent stands.

Comment

Originally posted by kornsqueezer View Post
      Queston #1 Yes.
      Question #2 I use a climber. If you leave a stand up over 72 hrs they seem to disappear.
      Question #3 I hunt Nails, have never been to Birck Creek.
      Travis ,
      If you leave a stand up on the WMA there is always someone who thinks it is theirs. I have heard that the GW will also remove them. There are also a lot of dutch elm on the place . I am usually up 25 feet.
      Tommy
      Yeah I know you cant leave it up. My intentions would be to hang it for a weekend hunt and remove the steps each time I left, then take the stand down at the end of my hunt.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

any one know if theve opened up nails creek park for camping?park ranger told me last year that they were fixing to open it up again

Comment

I was up at the ranger station this weekend and the Nails Creek park had lots of campers there.

Comment

Are we getting close? I will start going over my check list this weekend.

Comment

i will be there with paintman!

Comment

Heading there in about 5 minutes to do some scouting for a few days

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                  Heading there in about 5 minutes to do some scouting for a few days
                  let us know what you see!!!!

Comment

Got back this afternoon. Decided to come back early cause it was so dang HOT!!! Im hoping we have a little cool down before the opener. Anyways, I saw lots of sign. Lots of old rubs from what looks like last year that are pretty impressive. I saw several deer in the woods but most of the deer I saw were in the fields when I glassed last nite before dark. Im excited about the season coming up but Im gonna head to Sam Houston tomarrow and check that out.

Comment

?

Hey folks

I'll be trying Somerville WMA this year. First time public hunting, just wanted ask is it pretty crowded out there and any advice for someone trying it for the first time? Sounds like tree stands are the way to go
                      but anybody have luck using ground blinds out there? ThX in advance.....

Comment

Ground blinds do not work out there. You would have to brusch in really well to even have a chance. I left mine out there for them to get used to and they would still come out look at it and go the other way.

Comment

Wiki Said it best on question of ground blind. Better of to use some of the dead falls if you aren't going to the trees.

Comment

THX for the info. I'll have to get a treestand. But between wife and kids don't have alot of time to prep for a treestand. So when I get the time I have to just be able to get up and go. I'll have to try my luck with a ground blind for now. Thanks again.

Comment

Heading out again this saturday mourning before the hurricane arrives to go scout. Was going to go camping but the rain coming stopped that....

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                                Heading out again this saturday mourning before the hurricane arrives to go scout. Was going to go camping but the rain coming stopped that....
                                we decided not to do the cookoff but ill bet it will be raining big time by sat morn

Comment

Working...
                                X