"Official" Somerville 2013-2014 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
    If you do, the only place I know that has water right now is the Yegua unit of the WMA. That's the larger piece to the North. Yegua creek (the main creek that feeds Somerville lake) runs through there and always holds water, even if just in the deeper holes. The Nails ck. - from what I saw - is bone dry. Usually it holds a little water in places, but this year it looks like even those holes are dried up. Makes walking up or down the creek easier, but the deer and hogs have to go somewhere for water too.
    Thx, I was going to ask about the different units.

Comment

Just got this from one of the TPWD park rangers -

I'm going to try and make it. Hope others will too. Good chance to provide some input and learn a thing or two!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey limbwalker!!!!! Yeah I had a very good day in the woods Sunday. The deer sign is starting to pick up at alot if my spots. I have been scouting really hard and trying to be as scent free as possible and not bother the deer. I'm starting to understand the pattern of the deer for now but that will soon change when people run thru there.

Yeah sorry I didn't talk to you on Sunday I didn't see it was you until after you drove by. Hope to see you out there soon and I help you drag one out. Should be a great year

Comment

I wasn't sure if that was you but I figured it was and I didn't want to slow you down. Plus I had to get somewhere. Looks like you were heading to one of your hotspots!

I was out scouting new stand locations again today. Got rained on HARD for a while, but that's okay. It will wash my scent away anyway. Had two does walk RIGHT in on me at one spot. Got to within 15 yards and then busted. It was 10:30 and they were wandering around. Went to my next spot and jumped another doe. Looks like this full moon has them moving mid-day, as usual.

Won't get to hunt opening weekend, but I'll be out there soon after. I'm excited. I found a few new trees in some old locations that I think will be even better than my old trees were.

Took some time to trim brush and limbs away from one of the hunter access roads. Been driving around the same mesquite long enough. Today was the day it needed to get whacked! ha, ha.

Every year I hunt there, I learn a little more about the place. After 22 years, you'd think I'd know it eh? ha, ha. Still learning though.

John

Comment

Well Granger draw was a no-go. Will be going to the stand-by drawing, but need to have a plan b. So I am headed to Sommerville tomorrow to do some scouting. Since season is open for hogs, I will be bringing my bow. Do you have to wear blaze out there?

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
              Well Granger draw was a no-go. Will be going to the stand-by drawing, but need to have a plan b. So I am headed to Sommerville tomorrow to do some scouting. Since season is open for hogs, I will be bringing my bow. Do you have to wear blaze out there?
              Yes you have to wear the orange vest and cap

Comment

Somerville Swine LDP

Went the the Yegua unit to scout and as promised, I found a hog, lol. Saw 5 deer. 4 doe and one small buck. On a different note where are the parking areas/OSR boxes? I parked where the map had an x but all it was is a road to a gate.

Comment

Good on you! I told you Yegua was the place for hogs

Not all parking areas have OSR boxes. Check the map in the AHP booklet. They should be designated there.

Comment

Yeah limb I am constantly learning new stuff about that place everytime I go out. I'm heading out there today to use the rain we got toy advantage and stay as scent free as possible and look for fresh sign.

Yes I had to go check my spot that i will sitting in opening day on last time before it happens. It looks really good I hope to have a good doe down first day
                    I hope it doesn't get to crowded out there.
                    See you out there sometime

Comment

Hope so! Like you, my plan is to have a doe down sometime week one. I'm not going to get to hunt the opener this year (Wife's birthday weekend) but will be out there during the week sometime.

I can shoot decent bucks 500 yards from my house, but always look to S'ville to fill the doe tags. And, for a "Real" hunting experience too.

Just got a nice climber I'm going to try out there this year. I've been eyeballing ONE tree for a couple years now that looks perfect for a climber. We shall see...

Comment

Yeah he climber will make the all day sits that are all to necessary to hunt Somerville. Well I hope to c u out there the next week or so.

I will hopefully be attending the meeting for the public land around Somerville on the 26th. I hope to meet the rangers and new game warden to help and make the place better in the future.

Comment

Don't know if anyone is heading to Yegua unit, I'll be there opening morning. Don't have a stand so I will be in a blind or spot and stalking.

Comment

Beautiful day in the woods!!!! My set up should be good when all the hunters start waking all around and push the deer to me I will tell u I'm seeing alot less sign than expected. This year is going to be another tuff year. Been hunting there for 5 years and still yet to score on a mature buck... Or even a doe for that matter

Comment

Yea, it's been incredibly dry. Not much food or water on the area at all!

Just keep at it though. It's tough to figure them out, but eventually, you will.

S'ville -more than any other place I've ever hunted, forces you to know EXACTLY where they will be walking. 20 yards in either direction is worthless out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                                Don't know if anyone is heading to Yegua unit, I'll be there opening morning. Don't have a stand so I will be in a blind or spot and stalking.
                                No offense, but your probably going to **** off a lot of people if you try to spot and stalk opening morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X