Food Plot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Question

We disked our fields two weeks ago and last night we broadcasted all of the fertilizer and oats and wheat but didn’t have time to disk it under or cultipack it. We got 2” of rain last night. Should we still cultipack it this afternoon or should we just hope and pray that the seed somehow made it into the soil? Please let me know what we should do.

Should we try to cultipack it this afternoon or will that do not harm than good?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bgleaton; 10-08-2018, 06:46 AM.

I would still cultipack it if you have time. Can’t hurt anything

Comment

You can cultipack if you want but I think 2 inches of rain covered the seed nicely. Especially if you disced the field to the point where it was mostly bare dirt. Go check the field and see if you can see seed on the surface. I’m betting you don’t see much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if your discing made good furrows then 2" of rain should have washed the seed into them and more than likely covered it up.

After 2" of rain, you are probably gonna do more harm than good trying to do any work with it.

Comment

I’m leaning towards letting it be. I’ll go look at it in an hour or two and see if the seed got buried. I’m sure it did bc it rained really hard. I’ll keep you posted.

Comment

I think I would let it be. Depends on how much moisture content the dirt has , cultipacker could compress the soil too much. And if you wait till it dries some then you probably already have seed germination.

Comment

A 2" rain will germinate, if you try to get in the field now unless it is all sand you will make a mess. By the time it is dry enough the seeds are sprouting and you will kill a lot working the area.

Comment

These are the times I wish we had a grain drill. One pass and that’s it. We have a 3pt disk, 3pt spreader and a cultipacker for the Polaris ranger. It just takes so much time to use all of the implements.

Comment

I’ll post some pictures once my dad is able to get to the fields this afternoon.

Comment

Leave it be

Comment

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
                      A 2" rain will germinate, if you try to get in the field now unless it is all sand you will make a mess. By the time it is dry enough the seeds are sprouting and you will kill a lot working the area.

Yep

Comment

Leave it be if you disturbe it will break crust and dry out faster

Comment

Getting seed too deep is a problem. If your disc job was good and soil broke up fine and not full of trash I would leave it alone.

Comment

Pictures of Disked Fields

Here are pictures of the disked fields from two weeks ago:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4794 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24555731

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4795 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	24555732

By no means are they perfect but since we have been disking these fields over the past three years they disk up easier and easier and look better and better each year.

Comment

I planted wheat, oats ,and rye ahead of a rain and did not cover. the seed wiil germinate on the surface. I think i have the best plots i have ever had.

Comment

Working...
                              X