Getting a Dog: Lab or Golden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Dog: Lab or Golden?

It's time for my family to get a new dog. We are deciding between a lab and a golden.

I have very little experience with dogs. I wasn't allowed to have one as a kid due to my dad having a traumatic experience with one.

I know dogs are a lot of work and I'm ready to take that on.

I might train it to track, but the main reason is for the family to have a companion.

I have (3) kids and (1) cat. I know a lot of people's opinions on cats, but she has to stay (she's my son's).

With that being said, I know labs and goldens are pretty similar as far as being good with kids, other animals and their temperament.

Are there any big differences between the two? Does a golden shed more?

I'd assume so because of the long-hair, but don't know.

Goldens shed like crazy... Labs do also but shorter air and not as visible.

Comment

I have never had a golden, but I have had two chocolate labs. They are high energy, and require quite a bit or work. They can also be fairly stubborn given the chance. Though she is loyal to a fault. Our lab currently is an inside dog, and we have dark floors so we don't see too much of the shedding until we give her a bath in the tub or empty out the roomba. I highly recommend getting a roomba for either of the two breeds you want.

Comment

I have both. Depends what you want to do both dogs are great the Golden is an all-around family dog and just wants to please and loves the kids. The lab is more independent and more my wife's dog than the families. I honestly feel our lab sheds more but that is my opinion since I am always sweeping up black hair.

Comment

If your worried about shedding get a doodle. We have a mini golden doodle and he’s great with the family. 2 years old and weighs 22 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinztx View Post
            I have both. Depends what you want to do both dogs are great the Golden is an all-around family dog and just wants to please and loves the kids. The lab is more independent and more my wife's dog than the families. I honestly feel our lab sheds more but that is my opinion since I am always sweeping up black hair.
            The bond with the kids will be important.

Comment

Toss a boykin into your short list of breeds.. Mine doesnt shed hardly at all, they are smaller, and brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by JRandolphTX View Post
                The bond with the kids will be important.
                We will always have a Golden. They are just awesome dogs. I have always had one since I was little.

Comment

Lab gets my vote only met 1 or 2 good/great goldens the rest have been hyper. I know it depends on owner and discipline but I know a bunch of labs and none have turned out like the majority of goldens I have met, again I know it deeply depends on owner.
                  Last edited by TexasTealHunter; 01-16-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Kids, go with Golden.

Comment

Had a golden for 17 years. Man was he a great dog. Went most any where he wanted and never bothered anyone. He helped watch the neighbors work in their yards. He never fertilized our yard but always helped the neighbors with that too. Great with kids. Became protective of my daughters and wife when he felt something was wrong. It was strange. It never happened much but when it did he knew and was right. The cats we had followed him around like he was Mufasa!

Comment

Lab...yellow...female.

Google Rabb's Creek Labrador Retrievers in LaGrange, TX.

Tell Mike his favorite nephew referred you.

Comment

I have had nothing but goldens so I'm a little partial. I have had nothing but females and they have all been easy to train and great family dogs. My dad had a lab once--and only once. Way to hyper.

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                            If your worried about shedding get a doodle. We have a mini golden doodle and he’s great with the family. 2 years old and weighs 22 lbs.
                            This right here. We just got one for our kids but she’s a standard and is already 40 lbs at just 4 months old. She’s great with the kids and is very smart. She sheds a little, but nothing like our chocolate lab did.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                              Goldens shed like crazy... Labs do also but shorter air and not as visible.
                              HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! That's hilarious!!!! Labs are the worst for shedding. Get a Furminator!

Both great breeds but the breeder is more important! I'd get a mutt and stay away from "registered" dogs honestly.

Comment

Working...
                              X