Anthrax Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthrax Decision

Currently hunting between Sonora and Juno that was hit hard by Anthrax and we've been offered a deal by our landowner. $3.50 per acre for the next few years and back to $6.50 once the herd rebounds and an option to pick up another 2000+ acre pasture.

Looking for opinions on what to do? See details below

Water, Electric, cabin, RV hookups, Dove, Quail, Hogs, Turkey (too many), and Axis.
    7 paid hunters and 3 available axis to take as of this year.

How's this price per acre compare to similar properties you hunt?
    What should we expect to pay per acre elsewhere with same resources if we decided to move? (example would be Kerrville, Del Rio, Freer to name a few)

You won't find any cheaper then that

Comment

You won't find any deer worth a dang for about two years probably. If you're good with that then keep it, and hope it's not wiped out again.

Can't beat that price. I'd take it if you didn't want it

Comment

We're in the same scenario as you and we decided to stay. Mainly because we finally finished our camp area and most importantly we have an awesome landowner.
        A few of us are looking for a secondary place to hunt as well. This will be a tough year to find a new place to lease with so many people looking.

Comment

I'd ask for an extension since you're making the investment now. Ask for 5 years at the discounted price with the option of the escalated price, first to refuse.

I procure for a living.

If you get it, don't forget who your friends are.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamahamma View Post
            I'd ask for an extension since you're making the investment now. Ask for 5 years at the discounted price with the option of the escalated price, first to refuse.

I procure for a living.

If you get it, don't forget who your friends are.
            Good advice.

Comment

I would stay put, myself.

Comment

I would stay there..I love going my lease close to junction even if I don't hunt. I would try to find a small place close to home to hunt a little while it is recovering. We would have to have a convoy of 18 wheelers to move all the stuff we have on our lease. Not worth it to me if the place will recover. Of course that assumes it will recover.

Comment

in the same position and we are staying, it will take a year or 2 to start seeing good numbers but they will be back.

We have way to much money invested in our place and would take many trips to get our stuff out. Plus our landowner is great as well.

Comment

You asked about Freer- I think $12-$15 per acre is going rate down South. You can find cheaper but there's usually a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      You won't find any deer worth a dang for about two years probably. If you're good with that then keep it, and hope it's not wiped out again.

Can't beat that price. I'd take it if you didn't want it
                      Me too ... or a piece of it.

Comment

Personally, I would stay. There is plenty to do there until the whitetail bounce back.

Comment

I was in your same boat, except the LO only reduced the price by 25%. We have ZERO whitetail left after this summer. Some of us have been on our lease for 20 years. We offered a reduced rate just to stay and see it out, and the LO laughed at our offer. It's been a major logistical nightmare to get everything off, but we decided to move on. Greed seems to have taken a strong hold with the locals out that way.

You have to decide your reasons for staying. Is it the atmosphere with the people you lease with? Is it the hunting? Do you just enjoy having a place to go and unwind? Are you willing to pay that amount of cash without knowing how long it will be before the hunting returns to normal?

In our specific situation, we were probably 2-3 years away from having a huntable deer population again, and probably 4-5 from having mature bucks again. Just my WAG.

Comment

Stay... The numbers will rebound much faster than some are saying.. Speaking from personal experience..

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                              Currently hunting between Sonora and Juno that was hit hard by Anthrax and we've been offered a deal by our landowner. $3.50 per acre for the next few years and back to $6.50 once the herd rebounds and an option to pick up another 2000+ acre pasture.

Looking for opinions on what to do? See details below

Water, Electric, cabin, RV hookups, Dove, Quail, Hogs, Turkey (too many), and Axis.
                              7 paid hunters and 3 available axis to take as of this year.

How's this price per acre compare to similar properties you hunt?
                              What should we expect to pay per acre elsewhere with same resources if we decided to move? (example would be Kerrville, Del Rio, Freer to name a few)
                              Im in that area too and hoping we get the same type of offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X