Running shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running shoes

Figured I’d ask if there’s any runners here and what shoes they’re using. I’ve been running again over the past month and a half and am ready for some better shoes. I’m 5’11” 225 if that helps.

Running is bad for you....that’s my excuse

Comment

Budget/ground type/type of runner.....serious or just jogging around the neighborhood.

Comment

Serious. Right now mostly trails and pavement. We have a Idaho hunt planned for 2020 so I’m trying to hit it hard.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Brooks shoes. Been running in them for a long time, and I have tried many others. Hoka and Mizuno are a couple others to look at, but I would make sure to try a pair on before deciding. Everyone has different preferences.

If you get a chance to stop into a specialty running store definitely do that. They will scan your foot for fit and help you find the right pair. Expect to pay 120+

Comment

Go to a run shop and get fitted before spending a lot on a new pair of running shoes.
            I have supination, which means I walk and run on the outside edge of my feet and there are shoes specifically for that so I don't injure myself.
            The run shop will take a look at your stride and can recommend various shoes if you supinate or pronate or even if you have flat feet.
            I am partial to Brooks shoes and go through about 2 pair a year running roughly 600 miles per year.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
              Go to a run shop and get fitted before spending a lot on a new pair of running shoes.
              I have supination, which means I walk and run on the outside edge of my feet and there are shoes specifically for that so I don't injure myself.
              The run shop will take a look at your stride and can recommend various shoes if you supinate or pronate or even if you have flat feet.
              I am partial to Brooks shoes and go through about 2 pair a year running roughly 600 miles per year.
              Which Brooks model do you use. I have supination as well (and fasciitis in one foot). Hard to find anything comfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Which Brooks model do you use. I have supination as well (and fasciitis in one foot). Hard to find anything comfy.
                Ghost is my favorite.
                I also really like the Adrenaline GTS.

Comment

Another vote for Brooks. I mostly run by myself but, my wife has her running "tribe". I would bet that 80% of those women run in Brooks. But as DRettele says, you need to figure out if you need a support shoe or a neutral one. How much heal to toe drop is needed? I didn't have much luck following the "experts" advice. I ended up with really bad achilles problems. I researched the issue and tried a different style. That worked wonders.

I run in Brooks Ghosts because they are neutral and have a good drop. My wife used to run in Brooks Adrenalines and had IT band issues and has since switched to the Ghosts as well. I am also always looking for a deal so I always run in last years (or year before) model. Doesn't hurt to buy the first pair at a running shop but then shopping online is your friend.

Edit: I started running two years ago (I'm 56, 6' and 205 lb). Started with a couple different models of Mizunos (shin splints and knee problems). Smithed to Brooks Levitates on recommendation of running shoe employee "expert". I had terrible achilles problems and switched to Ghosts. Now all is right with the world.
                  Last edited by Rush2Judge; 12-17-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Hoka Clifton 2's were the answer to my shin splints, but unfortunately they dont make them any more, the Clifton 4's fit different and Im back to square one looking for a new pair. Definitely go to a running shop and get checked out, don't just go to Academy or buy online.

Comment

Here the three brands I would look at but I suggest going to a running store and they will ask you several questions and watch you walk without your shoes on and tell you what you need. Take their advise and try on a few pair and get the ones that fit you best.

Altra, Hoka or Brooks

Comment

Brooks. They were the only ones with a true high arch support for me and quality build. I go about 500-700 miles a year and these have lasted way longer and actually stayed collectively supporting, not just functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Definitely try the Ghosts. Sounds like all three of us are in the same boat. There are a lot of shoes for pronators but, not so many for the opposite. My wife was told she pronates and spent years running in support shoes (Adrenalines) and was constantly hurting. I convinced her to try the Ghosts and most if not all the injuries have gone away.

Comment

Not to steal the thread but for you guys that run just for staying active for overall health what miles/week or minutes per week you target?
                            I’m just beginning to start & was curious what others are averaging. I’m 45 so I’m not looking to compete in 5Ks or anything like that

Comment

Im not a runner, but I am a coach, so I'm up and active all day. The best I have found are Hoka's. They are by far the most comfortable I have found. I have much less back and knee pain since I started wearing them. They are a little pricey, but everyone I know who has tried them hasn't gone back. Bondi's are the style I wear.

Comment

Working...
                              X